Sausage without pork

jt4

WKR
Does anyone not use pork fat when they make sausages? I'm allergic to pork so I can't mix in pork fat. There are recipes that say you can use beef tallow or just beef fat, but do you get the same result? I don't want to make breakfast or summer sausage and it come out like beef jerky.

JFK

WKR
You will want to add some fat or else the sausage will be very dry and crumbly. A local butcher by me whose walls are covered in awards for their sausage uses beef fat in a lot of their sausage. I’ve had him cut some beef fat into wild pig burger before and it was excellent.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
I know that I'll need some beef fat, I'm just wondering if its going to have the same effect on sausage that pork fat does. You don't see many recipes with beef fat in sausage.

I actually like beef fat better than pork for summer sausage, use beef tallow not suet ...non pork breakfast sausage is just un American IMHO...:ROFLMAO:

hntr

FNG
I used beef fat last year because pork fat can be difficult to come by. I thought it was great! I think you will be happy with the result!

bsnedeker

WKR
I use beef fat exclusively in all of my sausage recipes. I have a couple of folks in my circle who are kosher and I like to share, especially summer sausage. If there is a difference in flavor or texture I haven't really noticed it to be honest.

It's also damn near free from most butchers since they usually just throw away all the trim. Win win!

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Good to hear positive results. Anyone willing to share recipes?

Wrench

WKR
I've made sausage without fat. I had to come way up on the liquid and powdered milk. Mix it till its sticky for sure.

kevin424

FNG
I have been looking into the same information. Glad I found this post. I have also been looking into non pork casings.

Personal opinion, but beef fat in sausage doesn't taste right to me. I'd start with a small batch if I were you.