Savage 110 High Country Muzzle Brake

Cruiser

FNG
I just purchased a Savage 110 High Country chambered in 6.5 PRC. It is a cool looking rig. I have not fired the rifle yet. The end of the barrels are threaded so a suppressor or muzzle brake may be installed. However, I didn’t realize that the magnum calibers come with a muzzle brake and no thread protector. I would like to remove the muzzle brake and install a thread protector but I have two issues...
1. I don’t want to damage the rifle by trying to remove muzzle brake. It’s a taper lock interface. Any pointers before I get to applying some elbow grease.

2. Does any one know where I can get a matching thread protector for the end of the barrel? Savage Arms??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cwillimon

FNG
A friend purchased this same rifle and he called savage and they sent him a matching thread protector.

OP
C

Cruiser

FNG
Hey did you ever get the brake off? My friend is wanting to know the exact question you posted.
Yes I got the brake off. I used two crescent wrenches (one on the brake and one on the nut) and I placed an old t-shirt between the crescent wrenches and the nuts so prevent any marring on the brake. It unscrewed fairly easily with the two wrenches.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but why do you need a thread protector? What does it do? Just bought a high country 110 .270...

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to show my ignorance here, but why do you need a thread protector? What does it do? Just bought a high country 110 .270...
If you just bought this in .270 it should come with the thread protector on it. It protects the threads in case later you want to screw on a muzzle break (more noise but less recoil) or suppressor (Less noise with less recoil) without having issues.

OP
C

Cruiser

FNG
Since the end of the barrel is threaded for a muzzle brake or suppressor, a thread protector protects the screw threads on the end of the barrel in the event you do not have the brake or suppressor screwed onto the end of the barrel.

Since the end of the barrel is threaded for a muzzle brake or suppressor, a thread protector protects the screw threads on the end of the barrel in the event you do not have the brake or suppressor screwed onto the end of the barrel.
Would you be interested in getting rid of your muzzle brake?

OP
C

Cruiser

FNG
I sold the brake awhile ago. You might try talking to wayfirearms on this thread. He might have some pointers.