Savage 110 Storm Lightweight

Elite

WKR
Hey folks, I have been researching and trying to decide on a new ultralight weight sheep gun. I have not found much about this rifle yet. The specs look good tho. Weight is 5.5lbs. Wondering if anyone has bought one? I know savage has a bad name for some reason but I own 2 older savages in 30-06 and they are very accurate and great hunting rifles. I’m just wondering at that price point if I should look at any other brands? Kimber looks like a good rifle but I would like a removable magazine. Tikka also looks good but there really that light of gun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't waste your money on a POS savage. Use a Tikka, Kimber, or model 7. In an appropriate caliber. No 280ai or anything bigger. Light recoiling calibers like creedmoor, 708 or 308 will be best.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I had one 3 or 4 years ago when they first came out. It was a super accurate gun - just sold it because I wanted something different.

Savage gets a bad rap due to the fact that their action or stock isn’t as nice as others. The ones I’ve had “just worked”, and if you look online you can usually find them pretty cheap. I think another reason they’re not as loved is because the resale value on them isn’t all that great. I’ve also heard stories of rough barrels but seems like most of them shoot.

You might consider looking into their ultralite line that’s coming out here in a couple months.

I had one 3 or 4 years ago when they first came out. It was a super accurate gun - just sold it because I wanted something different.

Savage gets a bad rap due to the fact that their action or stock isn’t as nice as others. The ones I’ve had “just worked”, and if you look online you can usually find them pretty cheap. I think another reason they’re not as loved is because the resale value on them isn’t all that great. I’ve also heard stories of rough barrels but seems like most of them shoot.

You might consider looking into their ultralite line that’s coming out here in a couple months.
Main reason they still shoot alright even with a right barrel (most have bad tooling marks in then) is because is their floating bolt head design. It works, might not but be the strongest thing out there but it works. As far as a savage being a reliable rifle when you are in the mountains, no. Unless this new rifle has a better trigger, bolt body, bolt head, and mag. It'll be crap. It's like buying a Honda Odyssey and throwing a nice set of rims on it and expecting it to be reliable.

I’ve had several custom built rifles over the years that shot lights out.
I’ve also had a few Savages. Not a lot of bells and whistles but every one shot under an inch. Period.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR

Thanks for the input and opinion, Looks like the new savage ultralight is in the 6lb range...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main reason they still shoot alright even with a right barrel (most have bad tooling marks in then) is because is their floating bolt head design. It works, might not but be the strongest thing out there but it works. As far as a savage being a reliable rifle when you are in the mountains, no. Unless this new rifle has a better trigger, bolt body, bolt head, and mag. It'll be crap. It's like buying a Honda Odyssey and throwing a nice set of rims on it and expecting it to be reliable.

You have direct personal experience with this?

I dont mean to sound rude by asking, it’s just that the internet is filled with people who read some forum post one time by one guy so it must be a huge issue and true. Just look at Kimber threads - you have like two dudes who have direct experience and 15 who have never owned one but his cousins friends sisters son had one and said he couldn’t get it to shoot with the cheapest ammo on the shelf so it must be a shit gun.

Again, I’m not saying that’s the case here, just that my experience is different. I had zero issue with mine, but I know there are definitely better actions out there.

Titan_Bow

WKR
The only issue I ever had with a savage was with a lightweight hunter with the synthetic stock. I just couldnt get it shooting tight groups like all my other Savages have ever shot. I put it in a boyds stock, which did end up adding a pound or so to its overall weight, but it shoots under an inch with factory ammo all day long now. Other than that, all have been lights-out accurate and never let me down in any hunting scenario at all. I just dont see how you could ever go wrong with a Savage. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap too

jspickar

FNG
I have a savage 16 light weight hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I put a leupold 2x7 on it. I can shoot an inch or less at 100 yards no problem and I'm not a great shot and don't shoot often. Best group was 0.5inch. A friend has the same rifle and worked up a load for it. I used his load in my rifle and that was the result. Haven't tweaked seating depth or powder charge. They definitely don't have the fit and finish of a tikka or kimber but I am super impressed with their accuracy. I do have a tikka in 7mm-08 and have struggled to get groups less then 1.5 inches at 100 yards. That's my experience

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You have direct personal experience with this?

I dont mean to sound rude by asking, it’s just that the internet is filled with people who read some forum post one time by one guy so it must be a huge issue and true. Just look at Kimber threads - you have like two dudes who have direct experience and 15 who have never owned one but his cousins friends sisters son had one and said he couldn’t get it to shoot with the cheapest ammo on the shelf so it must be a shit gun.

Again, I’m not saying that’s the case here, just that my experience is different. I had zero issue with mine, but I know there are definitely better actions out there.
I do. I build and repair firearms for a living. I am glad you asked this tho. It is very important.

I bought one for my wife this year in 6.5creed, so far so good, she killed her first roosie with it, and I have put a lot of rounds through it, and I would put the accuracy in the same category as a tikka.... it shoots excellent.

it's less snappy than a tikka, really mellow gun to shoot. I was going to get her a Kimber hunter, I had one and liked it alright, but the adjustable LOP on the savage made it a better choice. seems like a solid rifle that shoots excellent.

i'm surprised by some of the comments above, I have never heard of any newer savages having any issues. I was considering buying another for myself I liked it so much, until their new ultralite came out, now that's the direction i'm going.

i'm very hard on stuff, and i'll be very surprised if I have any issues. the light weight hunter seems as good as anything in that price range. I like tikka a lot, but I would buy another lightweight hunter before a tikka just based on stock fit. they are more intuitive to me.

jfs82

WKR
My savage 110 shoots great, I don't shoot it too much because I have other rifles I like more, but it shoots.

I’ve got two “cheap” Savages (25 and 30-06) with a couple dozen animals between the two.

They’re just not spendy enough for some of the deep pocket hunters on here, but they shoot and kill as good as any other guns. I’m blown away by my new Tikka (jumped on that bandwagon), but wouldn’t hesitate on another Savage.

I've never had a Savage that didn't shoot well. Started buying in the late 80's I believe, as they were about the only affordable option in a left hand version. As to reliability, I've never had one break and I have used several all over this nation and a couple other countries. I'm pretty sure the accu trigger ushered in the user adjustable trigger era and is generally regarded as a very good trigger. I won't be getting a Savage Storm Lightweight until they make it in a left hand version though.