Savage 110 Timberline or Weatherby Van Guard Meat Eater Edition?

croskyl

FNG
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and first wanted to say that I really appreciate that this place exists. Love that there seems to be so many logical people with great input on here.

I'm looking for a new elk rifle. Wanting to go 300 win mag because I hunt out west and really want the knockdown power at extended ranges (400-500yrds.) I shoot left handed which has been a challenge to find guns in stock anywhere. I initially started out wanting a Savage 100 Storm but have now really gravitated towards a gun with fluting and a threaded barrel and/or muzzle brake. I'm okay with shooting a right handed gun as I'm confident I can get a second shot off in a reasonable amount of time. As of right now I'm really leaning towards either the Savage 110 Timberline or the Weatherby Vanguard Meat Eater edition.

Savage 110 Timberline has straight fluting, threaded barrel and comes with brake. Cerakoted. Features the Accustock which i really like the idea of. Not to mention a nice camo pattern. This rifle is offered in left hand. The weight is one of the only drawbacks I feel that this rifle has. 8.5lbs un-scoped. I plan to run a 4-16 VIPER HSLR from Vortex. Would ring in around 10lbs when all is said and done. Comes in around $1050+tax.

Weatherby Vanguard Meat Eater edition has spiral fluted barrel, threaded, and cerakoted. Weight is 7.15lbs un scoped, about 8.5lbs scoped. Main drawback on this seems to be the fact that the barrel is bedded and not free floated as its a #2 countour barrel. I would also need to purchase the brake seperately which is about $60. Only offered in a right handed model. Comes in around $999+tax.

What are your guys' opinions on these rifles? Are there others in my price range that you think would be better?

THanks!

Milzler13

FNG
I have shot Weatherby and have had no complaints. However, I did own a savage 110 that misfired to the point that I returned it. Could have been a lemon, but since then I have almost exclusively owned tikkas. I am also a lefty and yes its very difficult. But there are some options out there for you. Personally, I have done the whole right handed bolt left handed thing. I can't do it anymore. Currently shoot a tikka .300 win mag. Very accurate right out of the box. Seems to love 200 grain bullets.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Both are nice rifles, however, my only issue with the Savage is the weight, It's a heavy rifle. For hunting out west, personally I'd chose the lighter of the 2. I have gone out west several times and after the first time, realized why other hunters are searching out lighter rifles, I've made the necessary adjustments since then. Good luck with whatever you chose.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
Of those two I’d go with the Weatherby because starting over 8 lbs doesn’t leave any room for what I like. I also like the aesthetics of that rifle along with the Meateater guys.

Personally, I’d go Tikka lite to allow some room for a sling, bipod, stock pack/ammo etc. and hopefully still stay less than 10 pounds.

Also, don’t forget about rings and bases. It adds up very quickly. Typical setups add at least 1/4 pound.

TheHammer

WKR
The savage gets the nod imo, but I’m partial to savage 110s. The boy I mentor just got set up with a 300wsm timberline and that exact hslr. It’s his first rifle and he’s setting 3shot groups in 2.5” at 300yds with factory Lr accubonds. Lightening the trigger and fitting the stock to him with a bed job. I’m guessing he will cut that group diameter in half.

Unckebob

WKR
The savage gets the nod imo, but I’m partial to savage 110s. The boy I mentor just got set up with a 300wsm timberline and that exact hslr. It’s his first rifle and he’s setting 3shot groups in 2.5” at 300yds with factory Lr accubonds. Lightening the trigger and fitting the stock to him with a bed job. I’m guessing he will cut that group diameter in half.

I have a similar Savage High Country at a similar weight to the Timberline. The Accustock is great (for my purposes), but it is heavy. Unfortunately, for anyone looking to find a lighter stock for Savages has very limited options.

That Weatherby is a great value.

TheHammer

WKR
I have a similar Savage High Country at a similar weight to the Timberline. The Accustock is great (for my purposes), but it is heavy. Unfortunately, for anyone looking to find a lighter stock for Savages has very limited options.

That Weatherby is a great value.
My primary elk rig, might look familiar-ish.

But in 300 wm, shooting unknown munitions load developed 200gr lrx at 3051-3058fps

Those are 2 422yd 5 shot groups

Attachments

• 233CF1B0-E31B-429A-B2BA-703B2AB1E04C.jpeg
    233CF1B0-E31B-429A-B2BA-703B2AB1E04C.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 4356C2CD-1874-4393-873A-DC961027307D.jpeg
    4356C2CD-1874-4393-873A-DC961027307D.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 34

Unckebob

WKR

But in 300 wm, shooting unknown munitions load developed 200gr lrx at 3051-3058fps

Very nice. They sure are shooters and a great value. Mine will be with me for a very long time.

Both are good, but I would give the nod to Savage. I like that round and for the style of hunting your looking to do it would serve you well.

Word of caution though is each rifle handles recoil differently and both those rifles will most likely give you a different shooting experience. I have no issues with my 111 300wm for extended range sessions, but I would rather punch my grandmother than shoot my brothers Browning A-bolt 300wm.

The Vortex you listed isn’t a bad choice, but I really didn’t love mine. Optically is was meh, and at the higher mag ranges my cross hair would start to almost wash out and turn a weird purpalish haze. I would strongly suggest looking into something else like a Trijicon Credo, Bushnell LRHS I/II, Nightforce SHV, or Burris XTR II/III if your looking for a scope to dial. Just my .02, let us know what you end up with 👍🏻

Unckebob

WKR

Although not the prettiest or lightest of stocks, the Accustock's rigid mini chassis and ability to be adjusted is a huge plus.

I bought a new scope for a different build I am putting together. While I was waiting for the action to come in, I mounted it up and simply raised the comb to adjust for the fact the "new" scope has a larger objective lens necessitating higher higher scope rings.

When I changed back to the original scope/rings, it was easy to get setup back to its original position.