Savage 110 ultralight or Howa Carbon Fiber 1500

Hunter270

FNG
Hi guys, I’m going to make the jump into a new, mostly lightweight rifle setup. My budget for the actual rifle is about $1,000-1,200. I really want one with a carbon fiber barrel to give the bull barrel profile without a ton of weight. I’m very interested in the Savage 110 ultralite and the Howa carbon fiber 1500. Both are very similar in price with the Howa being able it $100 cheaper. So, has anyone had experience with either or both and could help make a recommendation? Thanks in advance.

OP
Hunter270

Hunter270

FNG
Thanks guys. I’ve had the chance to handle both and think I prefer the Howa. I just can’t find many reviews out there on it and I typically like to REALLY research something before I jump into it.

Bak222

FNG
Savage seems like a great value. I would’ve pry bought it already, but I want to shorten and thread for a suppressor, can’t do that with the CF barrel.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Building a 110 UA in 300 WSM for my father now. Will advise. Load development should be interesting.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Haven't held the Howa but those Savage 110's just feel cheesy in the hand. If the mag is anything like the Axis with the flimsy plastic retention clip that would turn me away instantly.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Howa is a nicer action. Savage has the Proof barrel. I like both, but both could use a better stock.
This is why I ultimately passed on the Savage 110 UL. I’ve read that the stock flexes a LOT. Took some digging to discover this fault, but people talk about the stock flexing to touch the “free floated” barrel simply by resting the gun on something to shoot. Too bad, because it otherwise looks like a great rifle.

I decided on an X-Bolt HCS instead. Now if I could just find one in stock!

Last edited:
This is why I ultimately passed on the Savage 110 UL. I’ve read that the stock flexes a LOT. Took some digging to discover this fault, but people talk about the stock flexing to touch the “free floated” barrel simply by testing the gun on something to shoot. Too bad, because it otherwise looks like a great rifle.

I decided on an X-Bolt HCS instead. Now if I could just find one in stock!
The x-bolt tupperware isn't exactly stiff but should at least stay floated. And it's not a savage.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
The x-bolt tupperware isn't exactly stiff but should at least stay floated. And it's not a savage.
I haven’t actually handled the HCS X-Bolt yet, so any feedback you have is welcomed. Was just really put off by how soft folks were saying the stock on that Savage is.

The plastic xbolt stocks are pretty flexible. You can’t twist the fore end into the side of the barrel pretty easily and the barrel lifts up from the channel when loading a bipod pretty easily.

I have thought about putting mine in a new stock but I really like the fit of the plastic one and it still works great for me.

Good choice on the Hells Canyon Speed. It should serve you well. It is on my short list for my next rifle if I can ever make a decision on which cartridge to go with next.

I do have a Savage Ultralight in 6.5 PRC. It was a tack driver with commercial ammo and is insanely accurate with hand-loads. Whether shooting off a pack or with a bipod, the bullets go where I want them to. My other Savages and Tikkas are in the same boat. Somehow the bullets go where I want them to no matter what I shoot off of. Caveat: there are days that I would lose a shooting contest to Stevie Wonder.

I'll continue to do what I do in blissful ignorance as it is working very well for me. I'll let the Internet "experts" continue to make their proclamations so that they can reaffirm their own beliefs, decisions, and preferences.