Savage 110 Ultralight w/ PROOF, Christensen Ridgeline, or Bergara Wilderness Ridge?

Looking for 7mm Rem Mag, but Savage only comes in 7mm PRC. Worried about ammo availability in a PRC caliber. I would like this rig to be a do it all hunting gun with capability of toting for an Elk Hunt. Leaning towards the Savage, just hate the action and the stock. I've heard the action gets better with work. Also, love the components of Christensen, but worried about quality control due to some things I've read. Bergara has great components, but I didn't love the weight, nor the weight distribution (seems top heavy with the barrel). Help me decide! Thanks!

I’d not get too hung up on theoretical ammo and/or component availability especially on a new cartridge at some unknown point at some unknown date in the future.

For a sizable chunk of the last few years, there pretty much was nada for damn near everything. Hell, more 7 PRC ammo has been delivered the past few days than what was in shelves for weeks/months not that long ago.

OP
L
I’d not get too hung up on theoretical ammo and/or component availability especially on a new cartridge at some unknown point at some unknown date in the future.

For a sizable chunk of the last few years, there pretty much was nada for damn near everything. Hell, more 7 PRC ammo has been delivered the past few days than what was in shelves for weeks/months not that long ago.
Very true. I feel like quality 7prc has been easier to find at times than quality 7mm rem mag. Thanks for the reply

Darg

FNG
I have been comparing the same gun as you are. It is for hunting elk sized game in the western usa in steep mountain terrain with high winds
I have limited my bullet size to 7mm for elk size game at long ranges out to 700 yards
In addition to all your good points, Here are my thoughts
7mm prc va 28nosler vs 7mm rem mag
g7 hornady ballistic at 10mph using eldx bullets
7mm prc uses 175gr
7mm rem mag and 28 nosler use 162gr eldx
when considering wind drift I think of the 24 inch kill zone on a elk-Cliff Gray professional guide says he misreads mountain wind 30% of the time after over 1000 hunts
wind drift (10mph 90degrees) .28 nosler vs 7mm prc out to 800yards is nearly identical(.2 in) (using 24 inch barrel)
elevation is 4in higher with 28nosler compared to 7mm prc and 9 inches higher at 800yards
elevation is not as important to me because I plan on using a rangefinder as well as get a $100 ballistic turret cap with yardage on it
300 prc is extremely difficult to find since 5 years since they came out so 7mm prc will likely be just as hard
6.5prc and 300 prc caught on because hornady is an ammo manufacturer so the gun makers won't blacklist a round because it is made by a different gun maker
7mm prc is just the updated 7mm rem mag everything slightly good and worse but fits the modern western long range big game hunter better.
7mm prc is the edge of manageable recoil for most shooters
but hunting doesn't shoot a lot
but many rifles come with muzzle breaks/threaded muzzles
but many people are moving to the shorter rifle 20 in and supressed, and want to have a 7mm round for hunting elk-7mm prc enables the shorter barrels for 7mm rounds
28 nosler will shoot out average 800 rounds, 7mm prc 1200 rounds, 7mm rem mag 2000 rounds
28nosler is still around but less interesting and losing popularity
quality 28 nosler hunting ammo is available now during a very difficult time to get ammo
7mm prc is likely to be a widespread common round-like when the 7mm rem mag gained factory public appeal
Also if widely available from manufacturers will likely lower the 280 ackly,6.8western, gunwerks 7, 28 nosler
-pretty much take away market share from 7mm chamberings with little effect on 7mm rem mag
depending on the amount of shooting you do the barrel life could last a lifetime on any of these rifles- If 7mm prc rifles and ammo are available in 5 years I would go in that direction
personally I will shoot cheap ammo through 308 rifle if I want practice
I eliminated tikka ultralight even though very lightweight because it did not have lots of other features that the begura and savage do
no ceracoat-80x better lasting barrels with ceracoat,has stainless barrel but no outside rust resistance
no threaded muzzle, plain color, great action, only 1 lb under the bergara, lower build quality than bergara overall, price is still ok at $980
I eliminated the CVA cascade while it has many of the specialty premium gun features it has overall lower build quality in every way
it only $650 is understandable that build quality is lower
liked the ceracoated everything, decent action, only a good trigger, threaded barrel, adjustable stock length, more vetical pistol grip for the prone type shooting
it just cant compete with the bergara in overall build quality
browning x-bolt has most everything I want(like savage), but just got lucky with the low priced savage-my budget is 1100 all-in
browning x bolt is about $1300, the savage is usually $1500
I eliminated bergara hmr because its too heavy at over 9lbs
Kimber 84m ultralight had a giatn advantage of weight, but the trigger, many features, and slightly less accuracy pushed me away. Also the chambering don’t exist in the under $1100 price range
Ruger did not have the desired chamberings. But they will have the 7mm prc go wild in the future, Big chains have told in about 1 year, small mom an pops say 4-6montsh to see the first ones
Ruger has lower quality in lots of ways compared to the higher price point rifles, but on Backfire.tv it shows how much better it shoots than most other rifles
Weatherby vanguard did not have the desired chamberings
they do have the 7mm rem mag, but none of their lots of models are in stock
If in sotck anywhere I would give it serious consdieration, although many of difffernt Weatherby vanguard models do not come in 7mm rem mag
I overall chose 28 nosler. If I did not find that excellent deal I would be choosing between bergara and CVA. My comparisons below can likely be used with the 7mm rem mag as well
Bergara (28 nosler)Savage (28nosler)
Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge Woodland 26inSavage 110 Ultralight w/ PROOF barrel
$1,010​
.$1103
1/9.01/8.44
ceracoated barrelstainless steel and carbon fiber barrel
ceracoated actionblued melonite color action
omnio 2oz bergara muzzle break ccercaotedthreaded
7.9 lbs6.0 lbs
very good stiff stock(reports on carbon fiber core)plastic stock-not a great quality stock (comments how free floated heavily can still touch)
no cheek riser adjustment, no stock length adjustmentexcellent custom stock length adjsutment, excellent custom cheek riser adjustment
very good trigger adjustable to 2.8lbsexcellent trigger accutrigger(blade with 1.5lb)
700 Remington actionsavage action
Weight Discussion
almost 2 lbs lighter for hunting- personally I view 2 lbs as a very exceptional and important advantage
Even adding a 4.5 muzzle device is still only adds under 4 oz(.25lbs)
Barrell Material Discussion
inside of the barrel is stainless steel is an advantage
custom proof barrel is clearly higher quality
savage action is only blued which is a disadvantage over the ceracoated bergara
ceracoat is important to me so I can drag my rifle though snow/rain/ SE alaska saltwater boat hunt(will still put on the best best CLP coating tested by Project farm)
Muzzle break disscussion
omni can cause dirt splashs when hunting, while apollo max up facing ports pushesthe barrel enddown, and it has no bottom ports to kick dust
(50% apollo max muzzle break is $160 at 4.5oz or bergara omni is $50)
the light rifle under 8 lbs can be problematic with 28 nosler kick but omni break reduces that by 30%, apollo max by 50%
watching videos about muzzle breaks is where the results are posted, also note that the 30 cal size is used for the 7mm size as it is only 2% difference in recoil
some hunters don’t like muzzle breaks because they are loud and without one you don’t need earplugs and no issue with dirt flying to get off target
free recoil energy ft lbs is ...23 7mm rem, 25 7mm prc, 28 for .28nosler
ex) A 30% muzzle device for 28nosler is 19.6ft lbs, its does kick a bit faster so the felt impulse can be slightly higher(note: a 2 ft lbs difference is unnoticable by most shooters)

SwiftShot

WKR
I have the Savage Ultralight and 2 Christensen Arms Ridgelines. Savage 6.5 PRC , Christensen 6.5 PRC and 300 RUM. All rifles shoot half inch groups. Just insane accurate. The Christensen just feels great. I like them a lot but one is getting a MDT HUNTER 26 stock with folding Butt Stock. My go to rifle is the Christensen 300 RUM. The PRC is less picky in either rifle with ammo. Considering selling all of them and going 7 PRC having one gun for everything.

Darg

FNG
Very true. I feel like quality 7prc has been easier to find at times than quality 7mm rem mag. Thanks for the reply
7mm prc is easier to find lol. I am guessing because the only rifles are the market are completely custom. Soon as Christensen starts pumping out the first batch of commercial rifles, poof its gone.

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
I have been comparing the same gun as you are. It is for hunting elk sized game in the western usa in steep mountain terrain with high winds
I have limited my bullet size to 7mm for elk size game at long ranges out to 700 yards
In addition to all your good points, Here are my thoughts
7mm prc va 28nosler vs 7mm rem mag
g7 hornady ballistic at 10mph using eldx bullets
7mm prc uses 175gr
7mm rem mag and 28 nosler use 162gr eldx
when considering wind drift I think of the 24 inch kill zone on a elk-Cliff Gray professional guide says he misreads mountain wind 30% of the time after over 1000 hunts
wind drift (10mph 90degrees) .28 nosler vs 7mm prc out to 800yards is nearly identical(.2 in) (using 24 inch barrel)
elevation is 4in higher with 28nosler compared to 7mm prc and 9 inches higher at 800yards
elevation is not as important to me because I plan on using a rangefinder as well as get a $100 ballistic turret cap with yardage on it
300 prc is extremely difficult to find since 5 years since they came out so 7mm prc will likely be just as hard
6.5prc and 300 prc caught on because hornady is an ammo manufacturer so the gun makers won't blacklist a round because it is made by a different gun maker
7mm prc is just the updated 7mm rem mag everything slightly good and worse but fits the modern western long range big game hunter better.
7mm prc is the edge of manageable recoil for most shooters
but hunting doesn't shoot a lot
but many rifles come with muzzle breaks/threaded muzzles
but many people are moving to the shorter rifle 20 in and supressed, and want to have a 7mm round for hunting elk-7mm prc enables the shorter barrels for 7mm rounds
28 nosler will shoot out average 800 rounds, 7mm prc 1200 rounds, 7mm rem mag 2000 rounds
28nosler is still around but less interesting and losing popularity
quality 28 nosler hunting ammo is available now during a very difficult time to get ammo
7mm prc is likely to be a widespread common round-like when the 7mm rem mag gained factory public appeal
Also if widely available from manufacturers will likely lower the 280 ackly,6.8western, gunwerks 7, 28 nosler
-pretty much take away market share from 7mm chamberings with little effect on 7mm rem mag
depending on the amount of shooting you do the barrel life could last a lifetime on any of these rifles- If 7mm prc rifles and ammo are available in 5 years I would go in that direction
personally I will shoot cheap ammo through 308 rifle if I want practice
I eliminated tikka ultralight even though very lightweight because it did not have lots of other features that the begura and savage do
no ceracoat-80x better lasting barrels with ceracoat,has stainless barrel but no outside rust resistance
no threaded muzzle, plain color, great action, only 1 lb under the bergara, lower build quality than bergara overall, price is still ok at $980
I eliminated the CVA cascade while it has many of the specialty premium gun features it has overall lower build quality in every way
it only $650 is understandable that build quality is lower
liked the ceracoated everything, decent action, only a good trigger, threaded barrel, adjustable stock length, more vetical pistol grip for the prone type shooting
it just cant compete with the bergara in overall build quality
browning x-bolt has most everything I want(like savage), but just got lucky with the low priced savage-my budget is 1100 all-in
browning x bolt is about $1300, the savage is usually $1500
I eliminated bergara hmr because its too heavy at over 9lbs
Kimber 84m ultralight had a giatn advantage of weight, but the trigger, many features, and slightly less accuracy pushed me away. Also the chambering don’t exist in the under $1100 price range
Ruger did not have the desired chamberings. But they will have the 7mm prc go wild in the future, Big chains have told in about 1 year, small mom an pops say 4-6montsh to see the first ones
Ruger has lower quality in lots of ways compared to the higher price point rifles, but on Backfire.tv it shows how much better it shoots than most other rifles
Weatherby vanguard did not have the desired chamberings
they do have the 7mm rem mag, but none of their lots of models are in stock
If in sotck anywhere I would give it serious consdieration, although many of difffernt Weatherby vanguard models do not come in 7mm rem mag
I overall chose 28 nosler. If I did not find that excellent deal I would be choosing between bergara and CVA. My comparisons below can likely be used with the 7mm rem mag as well
Bergara (28 nosler)Savage (28nosler)
Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge Woodland 26inSavage 110 Ultralight w/ PROOF barrel
$1,010​
.$1103
1/9.01/8.44
ceracoated barrelstainless steel and carbon fiber barrel
ceracoated actionblued melonite color action
omnio 2oz bergara muzzle break ccercaotedthreaded
7.9 lbs6.0 lbs
very good stiff stock(reports on carbon fiber core)plastic stock-not a great quality stock (comments how free floated heavily can still touch)
no cheek riser adjustment, no stock length adjustmentexcellent custom stock length adjsutment, excellent custom cheek riser adjustment
very good trigger adjustable to 2.8lbsexcellent trigger accutrigger(blade with 1.5lb)
700 Remington actionsavage action
Weight Discussion
almost 2 lbs lighter for hunting- personally I view 2 lbs as a very exceptional and important advantage
Even adding a 4.5 muzzle device is still only adds under 4 oz(.25lbs)
Barrell Material Discussion
inside of the barrel is stainless steel is an advantage
custom proof barrel is clearly higher quality
savage action is only blued which is a disadvantage over the ceracoated bergara
ceracoat is important to me so I can drag my rifle though snow/rain/ SE alaska saltwater boat hunt(will still put on the best best CLP coating tested by Project farm)
Muzzle break disscussion
omni can cause dirt splashs when hunting, while apollo max up facing ports pushesthe barrel enddown, and it has no bottom ports to kick dust
(50% apollo max muzzle break is $160 at 4.5oz or bergara omni is $50)
the light rifle under 8 lbs can be problematic with 28 nosler kick but omni break reduces that by 30%, apollo max by 50%
watching videos about muzzle breaks is where the results are posted, also note that the 30 cal size is used for the 7mm size as it is only 2% difference in recoil
some hunters don’t like muzzle breaks because they are loud and without one you don’t need earplugs and no issue with dirt flying to get off target
free recoil energy ft lbs is ...23 7mm rem, 25 7mm prc, 28 for .28nosler
ex) A 30% muzzle device for 28nosler is 19.6ft lbs, its does kick a bit faster so the felt impulse can be slightly higher(note: a 2 ft lbs difference is unnoticable by most shooters)
Thanks for all the info