Savage 110 Ultralite: .270 or 30-06

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Savage 110 Ultralite for a mule deer hunt in Montana this fall. I'm trying to decide between getting a .270 or a 30-06. I'd also like to use this rifle for elk in the future if possible.

Estimated max shooting distance is <400 yards, mainly based on my shooting ability.

Both guns have a 22" barrel with a 1:10" twist.

My main concerns with the 30-06 is bullet drop and wind drift at longer distances. I'm also curious about the recoil of the cartridge on a <6 lb rifle, but not necessarily concerned about it. I've heard the stock has a generous recoil pad.

My main concern with the .270 is kinetic energy at longer distances, especially with elk. I've read numerous accounts of people killing elk with a .270, but also read about how shot placement become much more crucial with it.

The gun will wear a Dead Air muzzle brake with a Sandman S attached.

What say y'all?

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
270....if your keeping it under 400. Just get good ammo and you'll be set.

If I'm looking at that gun. I'm going 280AI all the way. That's just me
I considered it, but I don't reload yet and can't find any 280 AI anywhere.

I’d go the 30/06. Bullet drop isn’t so severe it will matter much. The ‘06 will hit harder, not that it matters much. Get the one that suits you.

I’ve shot the same gun in the 270. The kick wasn’t much different. Except that gun rises guicklu in recoil. The brake will be a great asset.

FWIW, with a factory loaded 180 grain bullet, in the ‘06 sighted 3” high at a hundred, is only one “ from being a 6” gun at 300 yards. It’s zero will be in the 225” and it’ll be 4” low at 300. That’s a dead hold from zero to 300 yards. With a thumper bullet.

I own a .270 Winchester a .30-06 Springfield. I've used both calibers when hunting elk and mule deer. Both calibers work exceptionally well on mule deer and both calibers are extremely effective on deer-size game and black bear, out to 400 yards. However, because of heavier bullets and larger diameter, the .30-06 gets the nod over the .270 when it comes to elk.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone knows the 30-06 is superior to the 270 😉

I have that rifle in 280 AI and really like it. I would try to talk you in to that caliber but I understand the dilemma. Hopefully the supply will come back soon. Good luck and don’t sweat it too much, there is no wrong answer.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone knows the 30-06 is superior to the 270 😉

I have that rifle in 280 AI and really like it. I would try to talk you in to that caliber but I understand the dilemma. Hopefully the supply will come back soon. Good luck and don’t sweat it too much, there is no wrong answer.
I was originally considering the 300 WSM, but my not being able to reload at the moment has screwed me on the more obscure calibers.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I was originally considering the 300 WSM, but my not being able to reload at the moment has screwed me on the more obscure calibers.
That is a great round. I might be mistaken but I think the 300 wsm was one they put a 24” barrel on so you would get a little better velocity. I’ve seen what a 180 accubond does to an elk, I won’t try and talk you out of it.

h2so4

WKR
I have the 30-06 and thread on a hybrid. It’s awesome. Recoil is very minimal. I don’t know what you’d gain at 400 yards using a .270 over the 30-06. Especially given how minimal your recoil will likely be.

Do not get focused on kinetic energy. As long as the bullet from either has proper velocity at impact, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference on most shots. You're shooting under 400 yards, go with a premium controlled expansion bullet.

With that said, since I started shooting my 35 Whelen Ackley improved 20 seasons ago, larger bullet diameter makes much more of an impression on the target. There's a more than adequate 300 Win Mag sitting in the safe that has not been carried much in that time span in the elk woods.

As much as the 30-06 is a "boring" choice in many circles, I would go with that if elk are regularly on the agenda. However if it's mainly going to be a smaller big game rifle, I'd choose the 270 because in my estimation it is a better round with respect to trajectory overall if the distances are closer to 400 yards. Pick the rifle based on what you hunt 80 to 90% of the time, either one will take care of the other 10 to 20%.

The '06 has a 24% larger frontal area. A 24% raise wouldn't be much to talk about either, lol. At what point do those elements cease to be a factor? The 270 is only .034" larger than .243 (using the whopping .031" difference for the '06/270 for comparison). There's not much question to my mind which one would make an all around choice for even a deer only rifle when you're talking different shot presentation angles between a .243 and .270.

Sure trajectories are very similar, and a dial makes it easy work when verified. As I said in my other post, in my opinion if elk are on the menu regularly, the '06 would be my choice. If not, the 270 would be my choice. Don't buy the rifle for 10 or 20% of what you might hunt, buy it for 80 or 90% of what you hunt.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I think either choice is going to serve you well. The bullet choice for the game animal you're pursuing is most important, on deer-sized animals, your cup-n-core style bullet will serve you just fine, a bonded and or mono bullet will do everything else, especially at 400yds or less. I have both, and like using the mono's, specifically the Barnes TTSX, in both of them. I get great accuracy and great results with either one.

cgasner1

WKR
Inside 400 it’s kinda splitting hairs if you would rather the 280 ai check out choice ammunition they load what you want and send it to you I have that gun in a 6.5 prc and it shoot the 156 Bergers the load up in the 3’s if I do my part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 30-06 and thread on a hybrid. It’s awesome. Recoil is very minimal. I don’t know what you’d gain at 400 yards using a .270 over the 30-06. Especially given how minimal your recoil will likely be.
What's your total rifle weight?
Also, what rounds have you found group well in your gun? I've heard good things about the Nosler Partition.