Savage 110 Ultralite: .270 or 30-06

I had an Ultralite 30-06. Super pleasant to shoot. I also have tons of experience with both ‘06 and .270. What I’ve seen is that their performance is exactly the same. Seen at least a dozen elk killed with both, and I’ve noticed absolutely no difference. I’d get whichever one you can find good ammo for

I vote 270 shooting 150 accubonds or bergers. But if you go 30-06 I wouldn’t blame you! Either way, please let us know how it shoots as I’ve always been interested in those rifles.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Ultralite 30-06. Super pleasant to shoot. I also have tons of experience with both ‘06 and .270. What I’ve seen is that their performance is exactly the same. Seen at least a dozen elk killed with both, and I’ve noticed absolutely no difference. I’d get whichever one you can find good ammo for
How well does the .270 penetrate on elk?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d take an 06 over a 270 any day. I grew up on the 270, every elk and deer I killed was with a 270 but the 30-06 is just more versatile.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take an 06 over a 270 any day. I grew up on the 270, every elk and deer I killed was with a 270 but the 30-06 is just more versatile.
Do you feel like the 270 was "enough" for elk? I've read penetration is a big factor, and that 30-06 does that better than 270 with the same bullet selection.

How well does the .270 penetrate on elk?
9/10 the bullet gets caught in the offside hide. But that’s with standard cup and core bullets like Core Lokt’s. Which has been my experience with 30-06 as well. Partitions and TTSX’s exit with the ‘06. And I’d expect the same in .270. Just haven’t personally used premium bullets in it yet.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the UltraLight in 280 AI, have close to 100 rounds in it between load development and break in. It’s my first Savage and the AccuTrigger had me confused for a while. It came from the factory below 1 lb trigger tension, and it would misfire 90% of the time.

I sent it back, they had it for 6 weeks, said it was perfect. I got it back, still misfiring. Did some internet troubleshooting, saw it’s a fairly common issue with that trigger. Tightened it up to 2.5 lbs, works fine. Can’t believe they sent it out of the factory twice below 1 lb trigger tension. Check the trigger pull early, it seems to need to be above 2.0. That’s fine for me, I like hunting rifles around 2.5.

The bolt was pretty rough, but with a bit of polishing, lots of dry fire action movement, and some decent lube, it’s shooting out nicely.

My load development for 160 grain bullets is going good, using H4831 and IMR7828, I’ve got 6 loads below .600, one at .316. Overall, it seems to be a lot of rifle for the price.

Last edited:
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the UltraLight in 280 AI, have close to 100 rounds in it between load development and break in. It’s my first Savage and the AccuTrigger had me confused for a while. It came from the factory below 1 lb trigger tension, and it would misfire 90% of the time.

I sent it back, they had it for 6 weeks, said it was perfect. I got it back, still misfiring. Did some internet troubleshooting, saw it’s a fairly common issue with that trigger. Tightened it up to 2.5 lbs, works fine. Can’t believe they sent it out of the factory twice below 1 lb trigger tension. Check the trigger pull early, it seems to need to be above 2.0. That’s fine for me, I like hunting rifles around 2.5.

The bolt was pretty rough, but with a bit of polishing, lots of dry fire action movement, and some decent lube, it’s shooting out nicely.

My load development for 160 bullets is going good, using H4831 and IMR7828, I’ve got 6 loads below .600, one at .316. Overall, it seems to be a lot of rifle for the price.
I've heard the action can be rough. What polish and lube did you use?

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard the action can be rough. What polish and lube did you use?
Just a dremel, a buffing wheel and some green polishing compound, on the angled parts of the bolt. My lube is military grade I got at a LE range, but any good gun oil will work. This kit below is just an example of what I used for polishing.

The 280 AI is a great cartridge, but if you’re not hand-loading right now, the .270 Win and the 30.06 are great cartridges for factory loads. I’d go with the 30.06, but they are really close. I have both of them.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you feel like the 270 was "enough" for elk? I've read penetration is a big factor, and that 30-06 does that better than 270 with the same bullet selection.

Yeah, probably wouldn’t be my first choice now but back then I didn’t really know better. I always used 130g Winchester silver tips. I never lost one or even had to track anything very far. Elk, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn, the 270 did great.

Maybe I’m completely off base but I just don’t see much need for the 270 these days. Seems like that cartridge came by from hunters wanting something that shot flatter back before there were rangefinders and when chronographs weren’t readily available to average people. There was a need/want for something with less drop than a 30-06 with surplus Ammo so the 270 came about.

Now days, with modern powder and bullets, the 30-06 is just getting better and better.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Not entirely true, several have had it in stock in just the past few months. SPS has had blems recently too. Coppercreek sent me an email recently with it listed as available.

You buy one and still can't find ammo, I will sell you a couple of boxes of factory Nosler 140gr.

With results like this from a Proof barrel, I would not consider either of the other two.

The target was clean cold bore @ 100yds.

The doe was at 140yds thru the eyeball, I shot 2 more the following morning in the head at a hair over 300yds.

A very accurate and forgiving round out of the majority of rifles.

A57AB44C-A74F-46E3-B7E5-FD71C95B7D4D.jpeg5EC13CC4-B1DD-4CC7-A145-E32422B84DD9.jpeg

It's enough for elk in perfect situations -- i.e.; perfectly broadside lung shots at moderate range with the opportunity for follow-up shots. I wouldn't want to angle a shot forward at extreme distance and I wouldn't want to try going through a shoulder blade at any distance, especially if the opportunity for follow-up shots isn't available. I've killed elk with a .270 Winchester, but it's not my first choice as an elk caliber.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It's enough for elk in perfect situations -- i.e.; perfectly broadside lung shots at moderate range with the opportunity for follow-up shots. I wouldn't want to angle a shot forward at extreme distance and I wouldn't want to try going through a shoulder blade at any distance, especially if the opportunity for follow-up shots isn't available. I've killed elk with a .270 Winchester, but it's not my first choice as an elk caliber.

Maybe I was lucky or you never actually shot an elk with a 270.