Savage 110 ultralite 300wsm ammo

Foust88

FNG
Hi guys, I recently picked up a Savage 110 Ultralite in 300 wsm. Waiting on my rail to come in so I can mount my scope. I have some Norma bondstrike, federal terminal ascent and Hornady precision hunter. Was just curious if anyone here has had a preference on ammo in this gun. Thanks in advance

sndmn11

WKR
Awesome, Do you have any experience with them on big game?

Nope, I bought 200 or so to be shot as practice, and then reload the brass. We found them to be very accurate out to 600yds, but about 2800-2900fps rather than whatever is on the box.
There were a few articles about the bondstrike bullets on the googles, but we only shoot monos at table animals.

I've got the same rifle. As far as factory ammo, I've shot Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Copper, Double Tap 180gr Swift Scirocco II, and Federal 180gr soft points. The double tap was the most accurate for me but the trophy copper wasn't too far behind.

If you're considering handloading in the future, the federal brass is absolutely terrible. The primer pockets are loose after the first (factory load) firing.

I've had good luck with hornady precision hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. (Submoa in a $300 rifle).

Haven't killed anything with the WSM yet so no terminal performance results. The copper bullets (I've got experience with barnes) are very tough and will break through bone. Those ELDX definitely have some fragmentation up close (within 200 yards). I'm starting to think unless you've got a perfect broadside shot you're basically just choosing between bone or metal fragments in your critters...

OP
Foust88

Foust88

FNG
Nope, I bought 200 or so to be shot as practice, and then reload the brass. We found them to be very accurate out to 600yds, but about 2800-2900fps rather than whatever is on the box.
There were a few articles about the bondstrike bullets on the googles, but we only shoot monos at table animals.
Awesome glad to hear that.

OP
Foust88

Foust88

FNG
I've got the same rifle. As far as factory ammo, I've shot Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Copper, Double Tap 180gr Swift Scirocco II, and Federal 180gr soft points. The double tap was the most accurate for me but the trophy copper wasn't too far behind.

If you're considering handloading in the future, the federal brass is absolutely terrible. The primer pockets are loose after the first (factory load) firing.

I've had good luck with hornady precision hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. (Submoa in a $300 rifle).

Haven't killed anything with the WSM yet so no terminal performance results. The copper bullets (I've got experience with barnes) are very tough and will break through bone. Those ELDX definitely have some fragmentation up close (within 200 yards). I'm starting to think unless you've got a perfect broadside shot you're basically just choosing between bone or metal fragments in your critters...
Yeah I wouldn’t mind trying that trophy copper out if I could find some. I have had really good performance with the terminal ascent in 7mm rem mag. Although I have heard some really mixed opinions about the ELDX, so I’m no exactly sure if I want to run those.

I don’t reload yet but someday I plan on reloading. But that’s good to know that the federal brass isn’t worth reloading. Thank you

sndmn11

WKR
Norma has an outstanding price on the bondstrike with I think free shipping and discount codes.

My notes have an average about 2950fps for a few dozen shots that were among the first handful of dozen out the 23" Xbolt barrel. So the box might be correct from a 26" barrel.

OP
Foust88

Foust88

FNG
Norma has an outstanding price on the bondstrike with I think free shipping and discount codes.

My notes have an average about 2950fps for a few dozen shots that were among the first handful of dozen out the 23" Xbolt barrel. So the box might be correct from a 26" barrel.
I have two boxes of that I’m excited to see how it does. I have a 24” barrel so I won’t be far off from 2950fps

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider

How's the recoil on this rifle overall? I'm looking at this rifle/caliber for an upcoming hunting trip.