Savage 110 Ultralite backcountry caliber selection?

Hi,
I have after a long time going back and forth desided to get a Savage 110 Ultralite Camo.
The rifle wil be used for hunting on norwegian mountains and such. Often steep terrain and lots of climbing. Shooting on everything from dens woods to flat open mountain plateaus.

That means shooting all the way from 50 yard out to 300 yards (at the moment). Training to stretch myself even further. Also since im doing predator controll at extended ranges.

The rifle has a limited cartridge selection. And the ones im considering are 3006, 6,5 creedmoor and 6,5 prc. Not 28 nosler due to barrel life and way to much of everything, as well as no ammo out there (norway).

What calibers would you recomend? Does the extra 200fps of the prc make upp for the shorter barrel life (1400 vs 2200 ish)? Is the effect on game a huge improvement? And if not, is the 3006 a better choise than 6,5 cm for my intended use? Already habe a 3006, but its heavy!

I see the 300wsm is only listed as a bllack stock option. Is it possible to make them change it to a camo? And hoe is the caliber? Overkill?

Kind regards!!

Last edited:

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Why not go with a 270? Flat shooting and softer than a 30-06. A little more versatile that a creedmoor too.

OP
Hognajegern
@huntnkat i don se it as a option on savages website for the camo version? Im planing on importing it to Norway. Therfore im restricted to savage directly.

BjornF16

WKR
308 Win, 30-06, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC in Camo...which one do you have the best ammo availability in Norway?

I thought black was the new sexy? Going with basic Ultralite opens up your options some by adding 270 Win and 300 WSM (assuming 280 AI is a rarity there).

All are suitable cartridges for what you are looking to do.

Barring all else, 280 AI is my favorite. 6.5 PRC a close second.

Forest

WKR
For deer id definitely choose the 280ai or 6.5prc. And with larger targets the 300wsm gets the nod, but you will feel it in that light gun unless you thread a brake on it.
I considered the ultralight pretty seriously and wanted the 280ai because of the shorter barrel, for a suppressor. In the end I chose a tikka but that proof barrel sure is tempting

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

How many total rounds a year are you expecting to shoot? What is the cost of a replacement barrel where you are?

Have you run the numbers for cartridges you are interested it? How do they line up with what you are wanting to achieve? You can use any of them to shoot paper and steel at distance. However, some of them run out of steam from a lethality perspective quicker than others.

The 6.5 Swede has been killing large game in Nordic countries for a very long time. The 6.5 Creedmoor is similar to it from a ballistics perspective. Anything that is regularly taken with a Swede can be taken with a Creedmoor.

The 6.5 PRC is nice and really extends your range (assuming appropriate skill level) on game. Only you can answer the question if it is worth it. If you can answer my earlier points, it'll help guide you.

Are you planning on using commercial ammunition or are you hand loading? This can also help in your decision making.

EmperorMA

WKR
There is no reason at all to get anything other than a 6.5 Creedmoor if ammo availability is on par with .30-'06. There is no non-dangerous, hooved game animal I would not shoot with a 142 ABLR or 143 ELD-X out to 600 yards using one.

You will love the reduced recoil (especially for predator control), inherent accuracy and just overall ease of use of the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is wildly effective, as well. Witness all manner of African plains game, including blue and black wildebeest, falling handily to a single 143 ELD-X fired from a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Safari with 6.5 Creedmoor and 143 ELD-X

OP
Hognajegern
Thanks @EmperorMA. Hve desided to go with 308. However, could you give a uppdate when you test the rifle shooting of a bag/bipod. A bit conserned about the soft forend and how it effects accuracy...

There is no reason at all to get anything other than a 6.5 Creedmoor if ammo availability is on par with .30-'06. There is no non-dangerous, hooved game animal I would not shoot with a 142 ABLR or 143 ELD-X out to 600 yards using one.

You will love the reduced recoil (especially for predator control), inherent accuracy and just overall ease of use of the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is wildly effective, as well. Witness all manner of African plains game, including blue and black wildebeest, falling handily to a single 143 ELD-X fired from a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Safari with 6.5 Creedmoor and 143 ELD-X
I love mine in 6.5cm, I’m not hunting any large critters with mine and it just made sense. Such a pleasure to shoot

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
What do you hunt in norway? Any of the calibers listed would be great for deer sized game out to 300 and further but if your shooting elk sized game or larger you're right on the limits of what people consider the minimum energy at 1500 ft-lbs on a couple of the calibers you listed and wouldn't leave much room for growth if you want to start reaching out further down the line. Start running numbers on a ballistic calculator on what you think will be your maximum range in the future and pick the caliber with the least amount of recoil and best ammo availability if you're not a reloader

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inside 500 yards, the 6.5 creedmoor is a very good choice. It can stretch further in the right hands.