Savage 110 Ultralite Issues

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a Savage 110 Ultralite in a 30-06 caliber. I tried to put a scope on the rifle using Talley Ultralite mounts and they did not work, and this was after I found out (don't ask) that I needed to order from Talley to get their 8-40 screw mounts. I have a Nikon Prostaff P5 2.5 X 10 that I was trying to mount on the rifle. Got the medium rings/bases which weren't high enough and were spaced too far apart to mount the scope, even if I got the higher mounts from Talley. The medium mounts hit the variable dial on the rear mount and the slope of the objective end of the scope was inside of the rings and therefore would not work either. This was so even putting ring mount of the objective side towards the rear and vice versa with the rear mounts. I do know how to mount a scope and am not stupid when it comes to this stuff usually. So what are guys using for a mounting base for their scopes on this rifle in the longer actions. I did not want to go with a rail unless I have to. I really like the scope for the rifle as well, but am frustrated. Tally indicates that they have extended versions of 3/8 of inch for front and rear which would gain me 3/4 of inch overall and mount the high style in their brand. Not quite sure about this solution. Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

So mediums were too low for a 2-10 scope? What size objective? Mediums are typically good up to about 44mm.
Also it sounds like if you don’t want a rail, then the extended Talley’s might be your answer.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I just went thru the same deal trying to mount a zeiss v4 on a 28 nosler long action. I sent my first set of rings back to talley and got their extended or offset base/rings. After mounting those the rings were close enough together to get the scope to fit but then my magnification dial was hitting the back of the first mount. I tried to modify that base/ring by filing it down to get my clearance but couldn't make it work. Right now I am talking with DNZ to see if I can make their game reaper series work for my application. This has been a very frustrating scope mount. I refuse to use a rail as I want the scope as low as possible and light

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

twrob18

FNG
I have the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 on my 280 AI with Warne two piece bases (model # M912) with Warne Mountain Tech low rings. Works great

TheGDog

WKR
Right now I am talking with DNZ to see if I can make their game reaper series work for my application.
DNZ Game Reapers are a total Thumbs up man!

Had a slip and fall that shattered my wrist... Titanium plate and 13 freakin screws!!!

Same fall slammed my Marlin 336 into that same creek bank into that same stone... bent over the objective lip of the scope. Scope was STILL ZEROED after I healed! Used that same rifle to take my biggest deer so-far the next year.
WP_20160105_001.jpgWP_20170424_002.jpg

I just mounted a 50mm vortex with medium talley rings on my savage ultralight and i have plenty of clearance so its weird that you dont have enough.. I have a 6.5 prc so its short action but idk

I also ran into the screw size issue with the mounts but i have a machining/welding area in my shop so i just drilled out the bases of the mounts to accept the larger screws that i robbed from a spare set of mounts that were lying around. Im no gunsmith but it worked out for me lol, hope you figure it out. Sounds like you need to use a rail to me. I cant wait for my xlr chassis to come for this rifle, its gonna be sweet

Spoonman

WKR
Not sure why you guys are having issues with the screw size on the ultralite. If you order the correct bases you get the correct screws and they attach perfectly. There is a base that fits the older round 110 action with the smaller screws and then there are the bases that fit the new 110 round action that come with the 8-40 screws, this is what people with the ultralite should be using. As far as the scope coming in contact with the base that is a issue that has happened on other rifles as well. Talley bases are are thick and when you have a 40-44mm bell or smaller you probably ordered a medium (never had it happen with mediums) or small base which puts the scope right on top of the base. If you are getting contact you can file down the back side of the base to get clearance and use a sharpie to color it black. You can also get a rail/ring setup and should be fine there.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why you guys are having issues with the screw size on the ultralite. If you order the correct bases you get the correct screws and they attach perfectly. There is a base that fits the older round 110 action with the smaller screws and then there are the bases that fit the new 110 round action that come with the 8-40 screws, this is what people with the ultralite should be using. As far as the scope coming in contact with the base that is a issue that has happened on other rifles as well. Talley bases are are thick and when you have a 40-44mm bell or smaller you probably ordered a medium (never had it happen with mediums) or small base which puts the scope right on top of the base. If you are getting contact you can file down the back side of the base to get clearance and use a sharpie to color it black. You can also get a rail/ring setup and should be fine there.
I did file mine down, but I had to file mine down to an 1/8". Then I had to file the screw head down so far that it had no head left on it.

I knew there was a chance mine might not fit but the ones talley said i needed were out of stock, couldn't find them anywhere in medium at the time and according to midway the ones i ordered should have fit lol. I made it work still, i didn't want to keep return them and felt confident i could drill them out. Had plenty of room to adjust my scope forward and back and plenty of clearance.. Since he's having the length issue as well as height the easiest thing to do seems like the rail if hes stuck on that scope

Spoonman

WKR
I did file mine down, but I had to file mine down to an 1/8". Then I had to file the screw head down so far that it had no head left on it.

Yeah I hear ya. It’s also the scope/base combo that can be a pain in the ass. If your scope is a little on the shorter side then this becomes more of a issue since the ocular side test right above the base. I haven’t run into that issue mainly because my scopes are longer. If you look in my pic above you can see that the ocular side is behind the base slightly.

Pictures would be worth 1000 words. I used a set of Talley's rings on my older savage long action and it went perfect. Have you tried calling talley? They would probably be the best experts for mounting scopes in their rings.

WKR

WKR
I had this same exact problem doing a scope mount job for a buddy of mine on his 110 long range. Couldn't get the Talley one piece to work without touching the magnification ring on a vortex viper 4-16x44. I ended up sending the Talley back and going with a weaver rail and vortex low rings. 20210206_155909.jpg