Savage 110 Ultralite Issues

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My issues are with the scope not necessarily with the mounts. Talley has suggested that when they get the bases back that they will call me and try to diagnose the issue with maybe extended mounts. I just spent $8 something to send them back and don't want to spend any more money experimenting on this. They never offered to send me a return label like MidwayUSA.:confused: I think the problem is the scope's dimensions and that the gun is a long action. A short action would be no problem for me as I could move the scope back and the variable dial wouldn't contact and could probably fit the front part of the tube in there. The Nikon Prostaff P5 is a somewhat shorter scope but has really nice glass and didn't want to buy another scope.

My issues are with the scope not necessarily with the mounts. Talley has suggested that when they get the bases back that they will call me and try to diagnose the issue with maybe extended mounts. I just spent $8 something to send them back and don't want to spend any more money experimenting on this. They never offered to send me a return label like MidwayUSA.:confused: I think the problem is the scope's dimensions and that the gun is a long action. A short action would be no problem for me as I could move the scope back and the variable dial wouldn't contact and could probably fit the front part of the tube in there. The Nikon Prostaff P5 is a somewhat shorter scope but has really nice glass and didn't want to buy another scope.
I’m looking at the VX3HD and there is a tab that says the dimensions. It says total mounting space of I believe 5.9”. As someone above said, with talleys you need at least 5”. I’d measure your scope and then try to find mounts that work with those dimensions

260madman

WKR
I’d go Warne Mountain Tech 0 MOA and good rings. They should be slim and won’t sit high like a 20 will. Brownell’s has them with the correct screws for $59.99.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, upon some advise from a friend I did some measuring of my rifles and noticed that the ejection port on the Savage 110 Ultralite in a 30-06 was about an inch longer than the ejection port on my Winchester M70 Classic SS in a 7mm Mag. I believe that the longer ejection port is the issue that I am having to accommodate with my scope not properly fitting the Talley mounts or any other ring mounts.

WCB

WKR
Savages are kinda known for having a longer mounting requirement than other rifles. My job used to entail scopes rings an bases. I 99% of the time recommend one piece multislot rails even more so with how sort many scope mounting areas have got.

Not only should you be able to fit the scope but also be able to move the scope to get proper eye relief. IMO there is zero negative aspects to one piece rails

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
The only way for me to get the ultralight and zeiss combo to work was to use a 1 piece rail cut it in half, then play with placement of it. I ended up filing the wings down a little on the back of the rear base to give myself a little more clearance on the magnification dial. I paired that with the ultralight low leupold rings. It was only like a 1/16 higher than my talleys would have been. I like to have it open above my receiver
4599433936cd72d117d9de548dd47d64.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
The only way for me to get the ultralight and zeiss combo to work was to use a 1 piece rail cut it in half, then play with placement of it. I ended up filing the wings down a little on the back of the rear base to give myself a little more clearance on the magnification dial. I paired that with the ultralight low leupold rings. It was only like a 1/16 higher than my talleys would have been. I like to have it open above my receiver
4599433936cd72d117d9de548dd47d64.jpg

Do you know the height of those Leupold rings? I didn't see an ultralow ring listed on their site. I have the V4 on order, have a set of NF low rings, and an EGW base. I was contemplating ordering the Ken Farrell or APA low rings, but maybe I should wait until the scope comes in.

As some people mentioned above, if you have a long action, just get a one piece rail.
Talleys do not work with a VX3HD 50mm bell and a 1” tube. (5 1/4” of mounting space). They will work with 40mm VX3 but there won’t be any room to adjust for eye relief.
Talleys on the long action require a minimum of 5 5/8” of mounting area

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know the height of those Leupold rings? I didn't see an ultralow ring listed on their site. I have the V4 on order, have a set of NF low rings, and an EGW base. I was contemplating ordering the Ken Farrell or APA low rings, but maybe I should wait until the scope comes in.
Ultra LIGHT not ultra low. The rings I used are the $119 low rings I got from cabela's.

Went through this with the zeiss V4 on my .270 mid and high talleys didnt work...Ended up going with a pic rail and glad I did, way more adjustable the height isnt an issue

WyoWill

FNG
Couldn't you just use the talley extended ultralight rings and reverse the extended front mount so that it faces rearward and partially covers the front of your bolt/receiver?

Couldn't you just use the talley extended ultralight rings and reverse the extended front mount so that it faces rearward and partially covers the front of your bolt/receiver?
Unless I’m missing them, I don’t think they make the extended version with 8-40 screws

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Talley makes "offset" or extended 1 piece rings. I started out with the standard 1 piece base/rings and then realized I had a problem. Talley customer support was awesome after explaining my issue. That's when they said try the offset rings. Great so I exchanged the standard for the offset rings only to get them mounted and still have a spacing issue. There is just no way to make a 1 piece rings/base work with the long action and a compact scope ie zeiss v4. I tried to make it work and there was just no possible way to make it work. I even ruin my set of talleys trying to machine/file them down myself.

jofes

WKR
20210415_090939.jpgI believe the rings I used are the talley 750725 mediums, shv 3-10 X 42 30 mm rings. Ordered directly from talley and they arrived within 4 days even though they told me it would take 2 weeks because they were out.

Rchance83

FNG
I have the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 on my 280 AI with Warne two piece bases (model # M912) with Warne Mountain Tech low rings. Works great
So I have a 110 ultra light in 6.5 prc I tried the warne M912 that have 8-40 screws. They make about 1/4 turn and that’s it. I went to cabelas, sportsman, and a local shop. Nobody had anything and couldn’t get these to work. They tried there in stock model 110 ultralight and had the same problem. How did you get them to work?