Savage 110FK for a rifle project?

ams

WKR
A friend of a friend has an older savage f series for sale that is pre-accutrigger and accu-stock in a 7mm. It has a factory installed "shock suppressor" muzzle brake. It has a leupold base and rings and has never been fired. This would be my first rifle project if I pick this up. My question is would this be a good action/ rifle to start with? If so what recommendations for a trigger and stock? I'm hoping the factory barrel with the muzzle brake will be good to great as I would like this to be an 800 yard plus rifle.
Open to suggestions for this project and/ or other fun inexpensive projects.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Savages make great DIY rifle projects.

Check out a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

Swapping barrels is pretty straightforward.

Shrek

WKR
Savage is a great platform to work with and more and more stuff coming out for them . Savageshooters is a forum you should check out if you are going to play with savage rifles.
Stockys gun stocks has as good of a selection as you will find at the best prices. Riflebasix makes a good trigger that is affordable , try midsouth shooters supply.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
More to the point , yes it is a great rifle to start with. What is the stock material ? I think they came with laminate stocks. If so you don't need a new stock you just need to bed it. A diy bed job is not really hard just scary. The composit plastic stocks are often pillar beded from the factory and can be beded also. The bedding doesn't hold up as well in the plastic stocks but you can get some good service out of them still.

Buy it and shoot it... if it shoots sub-MOA and you like the stock then roll with it. First upgrades on the list should be trigger and stock. Anything with an aluminum bedding block will serve you well and you should be able to skim bed it yourself with little to no hassle. It's an easy job for sure... The most accurate rifle in the world would still suck to shoot with a heavy or sloppy trigger... Can't go wrong with Jewel, Timney, Rifle Basix, but the Jewel's are a bit less tolerant of dirt and grime (IE: field conditions). If the new accutrigger will work they are a quality trigger as well.

The last thing I would look at would be a re-barrel job. You are already starting out with a great long range caliber and should be able to send a few thousand rounds down range before having to re-barrel the action. At least you'll be able to get the hang of the long range game a bit before throwing a new tube on it and burning it up before you really know what you're doing.

Best of luck man and remember to incorporate $ for quality optics that'll let you do what you want! :)

Mike

OP
A

ams

WKR
I've looked at a few of the suppliers and stocks mentioned as well as some DIY pictures and will for sure be picking up this rifle. I had no clue there was so much available for savage projects. I will find out if it is centerfeed or staggered. The current stock is synthetic and from what I've read, I'll probably want to upgrade but will give it a chance first. To kick things off I think I'll pick up a new trigger and a Redfield Revolution 4-12. The scope will be on there just to start shooting and then will go on another rifle. I want my total cost to be under 1500 as it is my first project/ learning experience. The rifle I'm picking up for 300.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned a Savage is a great platform to work with. With yours being pre accu trigger you will want to verify staggered or centerfeed as Savage changed the action screw spacing.

I thought they started the centerfeed thing after the accutrigger, and that if it had a standard trigger, it was staggered.

Maybe I am misremembering.

Shrek

WKR
They still make non accutrigger rifles for some of the big box stores and if I remember correctly the hole spacing only changed on the short action.

Shrek

WKR
As for stocks , if you need to save money get a laminate stock and do a bed job. You can get a good laminate stock , a can of devcon steel , and some kiwi neutral shoe wax for way under $200 and it will be rock solid. A little heavier and not as sexy as a manners tactical stock but will shoot about as well. I would aim a little higher for your optics than the redfield.

Shrek

WKR
Call Elknut1 and see what he can do on a 4x16x50 viper lr by vortex. Decent optics with a 30mm tube. Elknut1 is a site sponsor and you can link to his site from the home page.

For a less expensive stock check out boyds.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Viper LR or PST is a great choice. Paul can hook ya up.

I think the big box store savages were all marked as Stevens 200s, in any case I have an accutrigger/stagger feed box also, but all of the non-accutrigger Savages I have seen were stagger feed.

OP
A

ams

WKR
The Redfield wont stay on this rifle. Its only to start shooting so I can see where its at stock, then it will go on something else. That being said, I'll check with elknut first. There's a lot to choose from as far as stocks. This will be a hunting rifle so would there be an advantage to a tactical stock vs a more traditional hunting style stock? I'm leaning towards a medalist stock for about 170 at the moment. Daveinjax, any links or info on the type of DIY stock you're refering to? By the way, thank you all so far for the info and suggestions.

Shrek

WKR
If you found the bell and carlson medalist for $170 then I would run with it. Boyds gun stocks is who I was thinking of for inexpensive laminated stocks. As for the Redfield , I wouldn't put one on any rifle but thats just me.

You can get the boyds for about $100 but you don't get a pacmyer decelerator pad with it. As for stock style if are going to caryy much and shoot little and under 600-800 yards then I would get a light weight sporter. If you want to break 1000yds in the field then you are going to be prone on a bipod a lot. Then a tactical style stock will really shine but they suck to carry. Always a tradeoff.

The mentioned tactical style stocks do suck to carry, but only if they are in a really heavy overall package. I've been packing my 12.5 lb rifle that is in a HS Precision PSS stock and while it shoots good, it does suck to pack and carry, but not so much for the stock design as the overall weight.

Lightweight sporter type stocks are not as ergonomically friendly for prone bipod shooting. They may not allow for as good a cheek weld as a 'tactical' style stock will, nor do they orient your shooting hand as well... I would go with the HS Precision PSS or B&C Medalist stock. They are a good stock for double duty though you will pay a slight weight penalty with them both being around 36-40 ounces when you can get the a lightweight sporter style stock and save 10 oz or so. Trade offs definitely play a role here.

Mike

OP
A

ams

WKR
Whoops, I got the medalist and carbelite stocks mixed up. The medalist will run about 230. In researching information on this project I found out the 110 project has been done on just about every forum out there so it will be good for me as this is my first. I even came across your project Bitterroots! I have to say mine will probably be somewhat of a copy of yours, even the color of the medalist stock. I really like the rail on top as that is what is on my Howa and it was really useful in mounting the scope.

FURMAN

WKR
They do make center feed non-accutrigger Savages. They are generally the cheaper package guns. Stagger feeds have the magazine box attached to the action while center feeds sit in the stock. Long action screw spacings are the same. Short action stagger feeds have a screw spacing of 4.25" while center feeds are 4.4".