Savage 220 question

Gunning5

WKR
Hey guys,

Looking to add a Savage 220 to my arsenal for shotgun season here in PA. How does everyone like their 220 compared to a standard Remington 870 (this is what I'm using now for deer season)? Is it worth the money to invest in something like this for shotgun season where rifles isn't allowed?

Thanks

Djacker

WKR
I bought one for my wife 2 years ago, she loves it. Shoots amazing with accutips. Don't hesitate to buy one.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Love mine ditto on the tack driver at 100 yards with Accutips but I hear they are now hard to find. One for one on deer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
Awesome guys, thanks a lot for info! Definitely gonna pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
You won't be sorry for purchasing! Remington has seasonal runs on slug production every year. They'll be available again in the Spring once production ramps up. Stock up when they become available, you'll not regret the purchase!

Have both the 870 and the 220. I have found that 870 with a Hastings Cantilever barrel topped with a 2-7x Leupold shoots almost as good as the 220. My Accutips print me a 2.5" group at 100yrds. That is plenty accurate to be minute of deer out to 200+. I like the flexibility of the 870, rapid follow ups, and the quick and easy handling that the 870 provides. All this combined with the fact that mine is a family heirlum means that My 220 doesn't see much woods time and is on the chopping block.
Can't go wrong with a Remington 870. I recommend getting a pre 2000 one as a base to build off of.

Text me about the 220 if it’s for sale. I’m in North Carolina but have friends in West Virginia That can pickup Tony 405 818 9221

Throwing in my $0.02. I went the 870 route a couple of years ago. Bought a new cheaper 870. Found a Remington cantilever barrel and a scope. The comb height wasn’t right so I put some magpul stocks and forend on it. The trigger was heavy and gritty so I replaced that and added a new follower.

neat project and it shoots fine but (1) to High comb means it isn’t really great as a general shotgun when you swap the barrels unless you remove the buttplate to swap the cheek rest which makes it enough of a pain in the ass that I don’t do it and (2) I think I have about 2x to cost of a savage 220 into it by now. It shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yards, which is good enough. However, I shot a savage that did about 2” inch groups. Bottom line is, if I were doing it again, I wouldn’t go the Remington route. Too much money into a gun that has very limited application for me.