savage 25-06 rebarrel

Forest

WKR
This is my first "build" so bear with me on a couple questions.
I have a savage 111 25-06 that I have enjoyed shooting and have grown to really like the cartridge. I am a month or two away from getting my first suppressor, and unfortunately the only gun I currently have threaded is a 300wsm. Which it will get used on but even suppressed I don't expect it to be a total joy to shoot. So I am wanting to rebarrel my savage. Low recoil allowing me to shoot it more often, and I could get a fast twist to shoot the new 117gr absolute hammer, 133gr bergers, ace, etc. Make it into a fun long range target gun and still excel with deer and antelope.
-Thinking of going with a prefit barrel likely in the savage varmint contour (hoping that will make it a little easier to find replacement stock.)
- barrel length is one of my biggest questions, I know 22 would give me a bit more velocity that this cartridge deserves, but 20 would make it much friendlier to pack. With that said most of my deer/antelope hunting doesn't require a bunch of hiking compared to elk. What's your vote, 20 or 22"??
- I get 3 choices on a crown cut; rounded, 11 degree, and recessed. Any advantage to one of the other?? Thinking recessed as most of my factory barrels seem to come this way.
- how silly would a stainless barrel on a blued action be?? They are the same price, there's a chance I could cerekote the whole thing down the road. But don't intend to anytime soon. Does the stainless really offer me much advantage to offset the way it would look?? For reference I am in northeast Montana.

Thanks for some advice, ready to order one soon just need to make my final build decisions!

Personally I’d go with as long of a barrel as you’re comfortable with. I just rebarelled a savage to 25-06 and went with a 24”

Wapiti1

WKR
-Thinking of going with a prefit barrel likely in the savage varmint contour (hoping that will make it a little easier to find replacement stock.)
Barrel size doesn't matter for stocks unless you go larger than the channel is cut for, then you have to do some inletting to fit it. Most stocks are cut for either factory sporter or factory varmint. Varmint inlet will fit most anything, but you'll have gaps with slimmer barrels. Sporter will fit, in most cases, up to a #3 contour from most barrel makers. Depending on the stock maker, you may be able to tell them what you have and they will inlet for it.
- barrel length is one of my biggest questions, I know 22 would give me a bit more velocity that this cartridge deserves, but 20 would make it much friendlier to pack. With that said most of my deer/antelope hunting doesn't require a bunch of hiking compared to elk. What's your vote, 20 or 22"??
24" with a 25-06 for me in a #2 or #3 contour to keep weight reasonable. All longer barrels are just shorter barrels waiting for a guy with a saw. I suggest going long, seeing what you think, and then making the choice.
- I get 3 choices on a crown cut; rounded, 11 degree, and recessed. Any advantage to one of the other?? Thinking recessed as most of my factory barrels seem to come this way.
Any. There are no advantages to any of them from a shooter point of view. Pick the one you like the look of.
- how silly would a stainless barrel on a blued action be?? They are the same price, there's a chance I could cerekote the whole thing down the road. But don't intend to anytime soon. Does the stainless really offer me much advantage to offset the way it would look?? For reference I am in northeast Montana.
It looks good, IMO. I have a couple of rifles done this way.

Jeremy

OP
F

Forest

WKR
I might be being dumb, but what's the reasoning behind the rebarrel?
Couple reasons, I want to shoot this gun suppressed and the factory pencil barrel is too small to be threaded properly. 2nd reason is the 25cal world is finally getting some attention with high bc heavy bullets. Factory twists won't even come close to stabilizing them

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk