Savage 300 WSM

Staroutdoorsport

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to get a new rifle for long range hunting, I think I have decided on 300 WSM but still kicking around the idea of 300 Win Mag. I can't decide what set up to go with on it though. I am trying to decide whether to get a Savage 11 Hunter XP and swap the barrel out with a Proof Research carbon barrel or to just get a Savage 110/16 Bear Hunter. Does anybody have any input? Thanks

Apollo117

WKR
Do you have an existing gun to put a carbon barrel on? I'd never recommend anyone to buy a donor rifle just to put a carbon barrel on it. The same money you'd put into the Savage and carbon barrel would be really close to an off the shelf Christensen Ridgeline. The Ridgeline would have a much better trigger and stock though.

I'm not saying you can't find a used model 110 action, a used carbon barrel and all the other parts for a build that comes close to the same cost as a Ridgeline. In fact, if you're OK with building piece by piece I'd suggest this option.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
300 WSM is great and I have shot a pile of deer and elk with 180 grain bullets in mine. If you’re looking at shooting 210+ grain bullets like the VLD varieties that are available now, 300 win mag is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
If you’re looking at shooting 210+ grain bullets like the VLD varieties that are available now, 300 win mag is a better option.

This is not always true. If OP sticks with the factory model 110 action, then it is true since Savage mag boxes have enough length for the long bullets. Other manufacturers, Tikka for example, don't have the factory mag box length for the long bullets in 300 WM. In which case, using the Tikka action, the 300 WSM would allow longer bullets to be seated correctly and not be affected by mag box length.

This info is useless if OP uses a Savage 110 action or an aftermarket mag box.

OP
Staroutdoorsport

Staroutdoorsport

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have an existing gun to put a carbon barrel on? I'd never recommend anyone to buy a donor rifle just to put a carbon barrel on it. The same money you'd put into the Savage and carbon barrel would be really close to an off the shelf Christensen Ridgeline. The Ridgeline would have a much better trigger and stock though.

I'm not saying you can't find a used model 110 action, a used carbon barrel and all the other parts for a build that comes close to the same cost as a Ridgeline. In fact, if you're OK with building piece by piece I'd suggest this option.

I have a Savage 111 30-06 and a Weatherby Vangaurd 2 in 300 WIn Mag, I originally was thinking about just putting a carbon barrel on one of them in 300wm but I don't really want to lose the 30-06, So have decided to sell the Vangaurd and buy a Bear Hunter or one to build off of. I found a last years model 16 in 300wsm for $400 brand new, with a proof carbon barrel $830 would be about $1300-$1350 by the time I'm done. I can get last years bear hunter for $680ish or this years with the new adjustable stock for $780ish. I do like the Christensen Ridgeline and looked at them when I first started looking at getting a new setup but the cheapest I can find is $1850ish

Apollo117

WKR
Understood. How are you going to get that carbon barrel to fit in a factory model 16 stock? See what I mean?

You're correct that a used Savage for $400 and a carbon barrel for $850 is around $1250+. What about a new recoil lug, barrel nut, go and no-go gauges for the DIY barrel install? That turns into $1250 plus about $150. Then you realize the carbon barrel doesn't fit in the factory rifle stock. Gotta replace the stock now. Inexpensive options are Boyd's or B&C. Each is between $175 and $300. Higher quality stocks are more expensive. What about a trigger upgrade? At least $150. Do you see how the cost is inching closer to the cost of an off the shelf rifle?

It sounds like you are trying to build a somewhat lightweight elk rifle. I'm not saying you can't do it with your Savage action. My above example may be far removed from what you want. I just wanted to provide my experience with trying to make a Savage into a lightweight elk rifle.

My suggestion is to get a used Remington model 700 rifle or donor action. Have a gunsmith install the Remage barrel nut system. Build off of a Remington or Tikka action. I've tried to build off Savage and it's a headache. Nobody makes good lightweight stocks for Savage.