Savage 99 in 358

rlmmarine

WKR
So i have an option to buy a savage 99 in 358 with some minor rust, beat up stock and 250 rounds of ammo for 300.
I know its a good deal but not sure what id do with it.
Would you all jump at this or let it go. If you did buy it what would you do with it. New stock, rechamber, ect.

Thanks

bbell

WKR
I don’t have a .358 win but a .35 Whelen. I like the .35’s. Kinda cool and different. If you deer hunt at all I think it would hammer them. Same with elk. Anyways I like classic cartridges and rifles. Good luck what eve you decide.

tuffcity

WKR
Buy it.

I have 3 99's (well, 1 is a 99C) a .22 savage high-power TD, a .30-30 and the C in 308. The first two are pre 1930. They don't see a lot of day light but are still fun to shoot and easy to carry.

A .358 would be a sweet rig.

RC

Shraggs

WKR
Buy it! 35 Cals hammer game.

the factory ammo most likely Winchester or similar, covers deer.

elk, there is premium ammo out there or load your own.

Colterw

FNG
Jump on it! If I had an opportunity like that I'd be burning rubber headed for an ATM.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
GREAT deal. Buy it and go dig a nice bull out of some timber tracking him down in late season. Couldn’t have a nicer picture than a classic 99 laying on some dark antlers with the snow falling...

I'd say buy it. Without seeing it, the "what would you do?" is a bit tough to answer. However, I wouldn't rechamber especially with the deal including the ammo. The 99 in .358 Win is a kin to the holy grail for some. It would be a gun you could make some money on, just look at all of the "give me the info..." responses you have here. It is also a chambering that has great hunting potential and would be a great bear gun. After messing with a Whelen and a 350 remington mag, the .358 is on my list to shoot and own someday.
A stock could be had for a reasonable cost from Boyds, Microfit and others. As stated above, if the bore looks good, I wouldn't hesitate. Then you can have at it with some minor cosmetic fixes done by yourself or a good gunsmith on the cheap. Another option would be to cerakote the metal but I would look at this only if the rust is major and you aren't looking to sell it later on.
If you want more info specifically from the Savage guys, take an internet stroll to savageshooters.com and pose the same question there. But be prepared you might get accosted when you mention the .358
cheers and good luck.
Oh yeah, If you are worried about that gun not getting a good home, I have references that I can share.

TauPhi111

WKR
If you don't buy it, I will. Been looking for one for a long time and I like to fix things up. Send me contact info please.