Savage A22 DIY stock paint

So just picked up a new savage a22 provarmit .22LR. This one has the Boyd’s provarmit stock on it. This won’t be anything fancy just a plinker I’m putting an athlon Argos on it. Anyways I cannot stand the stock finish! It’s like they forgot a step. So was wondering if anyone has any tips to painting the stock? Dos or dont as far as paint or anything? Already have a good idea of what I want to do just thought I’d ask the rokslide before I start.... pics would help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Main thing is strip it or de-grease it properly and do multiple coats rather than one or two thick coats. I dipped mine using spray paint...did two thin base coats letting dry 24 hrs in between then dipped it. Then a nice clear coat to protect it.

I personally didn't clear coat it and it held up great bouncing around in the truck and getting drug around yote hunting this winter an prairie doggin this summer.

OP
Allen-samsal19
Main thing is strip it or de-grease it properly and do multiple coats rather than one or two thick coats. I dipped mine using spray paint...did two thin base coats letting dry 24 hrs in between then dipped it. Then a nice clear coat to protect it.

I personally didn't clear coat it and it held up great bouncing around in the truck and getting drug around yote hunting this winter an prairie doggin this summer.

Yeah plan to use alcohol to wipe down then blotch with a torn sponge few colors then couple coats of clear matte

JWP58

WKR
Spray painting a stock is easy. Clean it, tape it, spray it.

If its wood I would suggest using a primer first.

JMUPT

FNG
I recently did a savage tuperware stock and think it turned out great. Like others had said I cleaned the stock to remove any grease, oils, dirt. Taped off the inside of the stock and swivel studs, and removed the butt pad. Then I put on a coat of self etching primer and let dry. Then I came back with 2 coats of a textured spray paint and let dry in between coats. Followed by 2 coats of poly to hopefully provide some durability. I think it turned out great for my 1st stock.20190728_171143.jpg20190728_203432.jpg20190728_203600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Allen-samsal19
I recently did a savage tuperware stock and think it turned out great. Like others had said I cleaned the stock to remove any grease, oils, dirt. Taped off the inside of the stock and swivel studs, and removed the butt pad. Then I put on a coat of self etching primer and let dry. Then I came back with 2 coats of a textured spray paint and let dry in between coats. Followed by 2 coats of poly to hopefully provide some durability. I think it turned out great for my 1st stock.View attachment 131435View attachment 131436View attachment 131437

That looks good!

OP
Allen-samsal19
0b02036592f4d23f0d17c7c1e7e26d1d.jpg

BEFORE PIC