Savage Axis

So there is a killer deal at my local walmart on a savage axis ll xp in 6.5 creedmoor. And im just wondering if anyone had any experience with one.

I have the same model and caliber. I've taken two deer with it and neither complained haha. I would recommend upgrading the scope when you can, but for the price it's hard to beat.

OP
serious hunter1218
I have the same model and caliber. I've taken two deer with it and neither complained haha. I would recommend upgrading the scope when you can, but for the price it's hard to beat.
I have a leupold 4-16 that i got for my brithday that i will put on it.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I shot a friend's Axis .308 and was impressed. I haven't shot a better rifle in that price range.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in .30-06 and love it. I’m thinking about putting a Boyd’s stock on it and upgrading the scope but I’ve been very accurate with it so far so I haven’t convinced myself to spend the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said, they can be good rifles. Might need to find some factory ammo that will make it sing, but I have one in .243 that two of my kids have shot their first deer with, and it is a good accurate rifle. I upgraded the scope and trigger on it over time.

Laramie

WKR
I bought one a few years ago and the trigger was horrible. I trimmed the spring and it helped some but eventually just changed triggers. If they haven't fixed the trigger, add on the price of a Timney if your looking for an MOA rifle. IMO, there are better rifles in the price range after you account for trigger replacement costs. I would take a look at the Ruger American. Inexpensive and just an all round better built gun for the money imo.

45-70govt

FNG
i bought one in 243 years ago, cheapest package they had. The scope in low light is as expected, poor, and the trigger leaves ALOT to be desired, but it is a shooter all day long. Taken a couple whitetails and countless coyote with it. for the price you really cant go wrong.

Had one and it shot 0.5 MOA with commercial Hornady Precision Hunter. Killed plenty of critters with it. Won a T3X in 6.5 CM. Only after I confirmed that it would shoot better than the Axis did I sell that Axis to my friend.

They will not win any beauty contests but they punch above their weight in accuracy.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My brother has the Axis II. I believe it has a much better trigger than my Axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
The Axis IIs are a great value in rifles.... not everyone has or wants to spend $1000+ for a rifle. Axis II also has the Accu trigger..... which is head and shoulders better than the standard Axis XP trigger. The optics on the II are "serviceable"..... the regular Axis, I wouldn't give $5 for the scope it normally comes with. If you can, upgrade the scope to a 4-12 ×40 Vortex Diamondback ($200 retail), and the Axis II becomes better than some more expensive options. I have sold a bunch of them, and never had a complaint. JMO, your mileage may vary.

I have it in 223 and it shoots really good. I reload for it but it shoots a lot of factory ammo fairly well. I’d buy another one.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my son one in 7mm-08 a couple years ago and put a Timney trigger on it. He has killed an oryx from 330yds and a cow elk from about 300 with it. It’s a pretty good shooting rifle for the price. I load light recoil rounds for him with 38 grains of Varget pushing a 140 grain accubond