Savage B. Mag

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious who plans on potentionally buy this rifle when it comes out this spring? It's that new 17 WSM (Wichchester Super Magnum). They are a pretty cool looking rimfire. Just curious on what others think about them.

tstowater

WKR
I love 17's, but I think I will pass on this one. Only way I would consider is in an 1885 Winchester. Already have them in 17M2 and 17 HMR. I would rather have a 17 Hornet or 17 Fireball as I could reload them fairly cheap.

tstowater

WKR
Haven't seen it...do you have a link?

Just Google 17 WSM and you will get all sort of information. Basically an oversized 17HMR (rimfired) at about 3000fps. I'm thinking that if I wanted another 17, I would go to the 17 Hornet or Fireball as they are centerfire and I can reload them. If I didn't have any and I wanted a 17, I would definitely look at it.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I just googled it and I can see it being very quick to foul with the tiny 17. My 17hmr will only go about 12 shots before it starts to open up. I would go with a center fire round at that speed so I could tune the load and rifle. Maybe I'm wrong but factory rimfire and long range don't sound like a good match.

FURMAN

WKR
To each his own. I typically load around 1000 rds to take prairie dog shooting. It will be nice to have a 250yd caliber with 1moa accuracy at around $15/50rds and no loading. I can not speak to your rifle but in general the fowling in 17s is a myth. Mine shoot great just as long as my other varmint rifles. I absolutely love taking a break from the bench to walk around and shoot dogs with my HMR. This WSM will be even more fun.

OP
wk93

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had any fouling troubles with my 17 hmr. I just am considering this 17wsm because nobody has the 17 hornet where I live and as soon as one of the shops get one, it literally sells out in a day.