Savage gurus help with action/bolt issue.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
You can actually do this without even disassembling the bolt if you want. Just pull the bolt, rotate the baffle 90 degrees, hit those edges with a file or dremel, rotate the baffle back and reinsert the bolt.

Another option, if you're not comfortable working on the bolt head, is to hit the edges on the receiver. Then there is no way you would be affecting the headspace or lug-receiver contact.

If it were me, I'd just rotate that baffle, hit it with a dremel (there's a good chance that bolt head is too hard to do much with a file anyway) and reassemble and see what happens.
Thanks for all your help!
Please not my bolt will open all the way but it can not have the slightest amount of upward pressure on it what's so ever. Like not even a pound. So I work the bolt fast (in a safe location) and it will miss at least one sometimes 2 rounds out of the mag. You can't tell unless you looking if the bolt comes all the way back or is short a half inch. Because it stops so solid and firmly.
I fear in a high tense hunting situation I'll miss a follow up round from going in the chamber and possibly cost me a animal.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
So I rotated the smaller alignment lug out of the way. Started with 320 grit and went up to 1500. Putting the paper on a flat edge at about a 30 degree angle on the bolt. Then I polished with the dremel and lubed the bolt. Barely took anything off but you can see the edge is gone.

It got better but did not cure it. I hate to take away from the receiver but I may have to...

Thanks to all those that helped.

Tod osier

WKR
It seems like you have identified the bolt as the issue correctly, but check out that wave washer. On my sons, and it looks like on yours, the washer wasn’t flush and added a lot of drag both on entering and once inside. Pulling it out and breaking the edge of the washer made a huge differance.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like you have identified the bolt as the issue correctly, but check out that wave washer. On my sons, and it looks like on yours, the washer wasn’t flush and added a lot of drag both on entering and once inside. Pulling it out and breaking the edge of the washer made a huge differance.
The spring washer behind the lugs is not crushed flat if thats what you mean.
I'm going to need way more detail or pictures as I'm not sure what your talking about 100%
Thank you!

I have tikka and CA and Fierce kimber ascent etc...
This savage is lighter and shoots better than them all with the proof barrel...
Don't be a hater.
No hating here. Didn’t think the Savage was lighter than a SL. Maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️. 3 of my 4 Tikkas shoot 1 hole groups at 100yds with handloads. Have had 4-5 more. Never an issue with any of them. Good luck with your rifle.

No hating here. Didn’t think the Savage was lighter than a SL. Maybe I’m wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️. 3 of my 4 Tikkas shoot 1 hole groups at 100yds with handloads. Have had 4-5 more. Never an issue with any of them. Good luck with your rifle.
I owned four Tikkas. Not a bad word to say about any of them really. All shot fantastic. Only rifle I'd put side by side for accuracy with my Savages (that I have experience with anyway). But I just didn't get along with them for some odd reason. Never regretted selling any of them, including my stainless 7mm-08 that my buddy bought off me. It was a damn good shooter. Just never fell in love with any of my Tikkas.

For some reason, I like Savages. I enjoy tinkering with them and knowing I can swap barrels in 15 min, etc. I also like the new Savage stocks quite a bit. Best "tupperware" factory stock fit and recoil control I've seen yet.

OP
B

Bushfire

Lil-Rokslider
The third piece back on the bolt. The thin washer. See how it stands proud compared to the bolt body?
I know and see what part your talking about but what issue do you see with it? It is not catching or hitting there at all? Thank you