Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 review

OXN939

WKR
I was worried until I saw her shoot. ;)

If Savage spent a little time getting the stock right on this series, they might challenge Kimber and Tikka in the lightweight category.

That's always been the reason for my hesitation to go with a Savage- all the rifles I've seen that come with cheap, plastic injection molded stocks seem to sit in that 1.5-2 MOA average group size territory. Obviously not the case with yours! Cool looking rig.

OP
Newtosavage
That's always been the reason for my hesitation to go with a Savage- all the rifles I've seen that come with cheap, plastic injection molded stocks seem to sit in that 1.5-2 MOA average group size territory. Obviously not the case with yours! Cool looking rig.
I've never had a Savage rifle that lived in the 1.5-2 MOA territory. And I've probably owned a dozen by now. I'm sure the odd one is out there, but I've yet to own it.

OP
Newtosavage
If they'd do the barrel channel right and add 2 inches to the barrel, they'd have a better gun, for my taste anyways.
Perhaps. I like a 20" barrel for .308 sized cases. For '06 based cases, I think you're right - a 22" barrel would be nice. I'm picking up a .270 LWS today and I'll be pulling that 20" .270 barrel off this weekend. At that length, it offers nothing over my 7mm-08.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with NewtoSavage here.....I bought one in 6.5 for my 13 yr old based on the length of pull adjustment options and overall compact size. Figured it would be a semi-forgettable kid's gun. I've been thoroughly impressed with it. The barrel does seem short at first and the forearm gap is odd looking, but this rifle just plain shoots with minimal recoil. It also handles really well. It's got a well-balanced, carbine feel to it. I pulled the action and adjusted the trigger down, but otherwise it's bone stock out of the box. I'd shoot this thing myself without hesitation. My son loves it.

60892532366__7A328094-8960-4D9C-BAF2-5C1D1D47F2CA.JPG

IMG_6725.jpg

OP
Newtosavage
I'm with NewtoSavage here.....I bought one in 6.5 for my 13 yr old based on the length of pull adjustment options and overall compact size. Figured it would be a semi-forgettable kid's gun. I've been thoroughly impressed with it. The barrel does seem short at first and the forearm gap is odd looking, but this rifle just plain shoots with minimal recoil. It also handles really well. It's got a well-balanced, carbine feel to it. I pulled the action and adjusted the trigger down, but otherwise it's bone stock out of the box. I'd shoot this thing myself without hesitation. My son loves it.

View attachment 218181

View attachment 218182
Oooh, nice scope on there too! Those are getting real hard to find.

Tango1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, it's a great all-around package. Like I say, this rifle is a sleeper. It really surprised me. My standard, go-to rifles are Fieldcrafts, which I love, but the Savage shoots right along with them.

kcm2

WKR
On a rifle that shoots as well as your Savage, I would be hesitant to change anything or even breathe near it, because the odds are you could only make it less accurate.

OP
Newtosavage
On a rifle that shoots as well as your Savage, I would be hesitant to change anything or even breathe near it, because the odds are you could only make it less accurate.
I agree. I'm not touching a thing on that rifle.

I mean 131 Hammer Hunters at 2985 fps? Are you kidding? That's basically a short-action .270.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I lived in Colorado it seemed like everybody I knew and hunted with had savages. At the time it seemed really strange to me since everybody was all about remingtons when I was growing up and hunting elk and mule deer.

The problem with the last Storm I looked at at Cabelas was the barrel was not even close to being centered in the barrel channel of the stock. Drives me nuts.

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
I tried looking for this same model and savage said that it was 7.4 pounds out of the box. Am I looking at the wrong model?

Attachments

• 1CE21AD6-1D24-44AA-83DE-BCC0B2AC5BCD.png
    1CE21AD6-1D24-44AA-83DE-BCC0B2AC5BCD.png
    407.8 KB · Views: 51

letrbuck

WKR
These are little sleeper mountain rifles. I picked up the previous version (old style stock) several years ago for a song, also in 7mm-08. First Savage I'd ever bought or shot. I honestly hated the thing at first. Thought it was ugly, and kinda clunky, and just felt cheap.

I also thought the barrel looked weird with the full stock... so I cut it, reshaped it, and gave it a paint job. Ended up looking a lot nicer but I still didn't love the thing. Just didnt feel right, and I'm not a fan of the accutrigger.

All that aside, I carried it on a deer hunt this year and finally fell in love with it. It's crazy light, nice and compact, and shoots better than I can. 120gr Nosler ballistic tips are Mule Deer hammers! I suppose I'll keep it around

Attachments

• 20190515_174941.jpg
    20190515_174941.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180527_192423.jpg
    20180527_192423.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20180429_185555.jpg
    20180429_185555.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 134
i got a lightweight storm in 6.5creed for my wife last year, and i have had similar results.... crazy accurate little rifle! she has killed a bull and buck with it so far, and hopefully another bull in a couple weeks ;)

i was gonna buy myself the exact same rifle.... then they announced the ultralite, so i went that direction... absolutely love that rifle too.