Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 review

2-Stix

WKR
The mounting locations of the rail are not plumb when torqued to spec. Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 9.22.32 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
Wow, that's bizarre. And you've checked that rail? Not making contact with the recoil lug or barrel nut? If that's the case, then the screw holes must be offline, in which case definitely send it back to Savage. They will make it right. I've only had to use their CS 2x and they were great both times.

2-Stix

WKR
Wow, that's bizarre. And you've checked that rail? Not making contact with the recoil lug or barrel nut? If that's the case, then the screw holes must be offline, in which case definitely send it back to Savage. They will make it right. I've only had to use their CS 2x and they were great both times.
The rail was square. I checked it to a piece of glass and metal straight edges. It's fine if not torqued. When torqued to spec the rail sucks down to the out of plumb receiver. I think the holes are ok. I think it was over polished or ground on and it has less material on the left lug, so the scope points left and the rifle right...causing me to run out of windage. The local gunsmith took some marking coper sheet and stuffed it underneath to fill the gap to get me through my hunt this year. I got back 1 full turn of the dial of windage. I have about 10 moa before it bottoms out now. Should be closer to center at 25 moa of clicks. Not happy for my first Savage. If I send it back I gotta pay to ship, and if they put a new barrel on it, the numbers change and I have to do the DROS in CA. Might cost me $100 to get their mistake fixed.

OP
Newtosavage
The rail was square. I checked it to a piece of glass and metal straight edges. It's fine if not torqued. When torqued to spec the rail sucks down to the out of plumb receiver. I think the holes are ok. I think it was over polished or ground on and it has less material on the left lug, so the scope points left and the rifle right...causing me to run out of windage. The local gunsmith took some marking coper sheet and stuffed it underneath to fill the gap to get me through my hunt this year. I got back 1 full turn of the dial of windage. I have about 10 moa before it bottoms out now. Should be closer to center at 25 moa of clicks. Not happy for my first Savage. If I send it back I gotta pay to ship, and if they put a new barrel on it, the numbers change and I have to do the DROS in CA. Might cost me $100 to get their mistake fixed.
I wonder if that action got torqued in the milling process for the LW action?

Well, I'm sorry you had that experience. First I've ever heard of something like that. I use Talley LW one piece base/rings and have never had an issue. Every Savage I've owned has been an easy sub-moa rifle with very little work.

2-Stix

WKR
I wonder if that action got torqued in the milling process for the LW action?

Well, I'm sorry you had that experience. First I've ever heard of something like that. I use Talley LW one piece base/rings and have never had an issue. Every Savage I've owned has been an easy sub-moa rifle with very little work.
Very frustrating until I got it figured out. But I got my buck this year with it. I just need to get it fixed and move on with it. Makes me want to sell it or look elsewhere (Weatherby/Tikka)...but the ss and weight has me really sold on the use side of it. Not sure what maker I will buy for a 300 win in a few years.

OP
Newtosavage
Very frustrating until I got it figured out. But I got my buck this year with it. I just need to get it fixed and move on with it. Makes me want to sell it or look elsewhere (Weatherby/Tikka)...but the ss and weight has me really sold on the use side of it. Not sure what maker I will buy for a 300 win in a few years.
After going all the way around the block on lightweight rifles, I came to appreciate the simplicity and utilitarian design of the Savage LW series. I can still swap barrels easy enough in my garage, and I can get barrels just about anywhere. Used Savage barrels are always accurate and usually very cheap. I've bought several on Ebay that were damn good shooters for under $100.

I'll eventually get a .280ai barrel for my long action LW Storm, and probably a .308 barrel for my short action, for something to do when I get bored.

I never would have thought the 20" pencil-barrel on my 7mm-08 LW Storm could have kept up with the normal sporter-weight Savage barrels I've owned, but it certainly does. Kind of amazing to me really.

2-Stix

WKR
After going all the way around the block on lightweight rifles, I came to appreciate the simplicity and utilitarian design of the Savage LW series. I can still swap barrels easy enough in my garage, and I can get barrels just about anywhere. Used Savage barrels are always accurate and usually very cheap. I've bought several on Ebay that were damn good shooters for under $100.

I'll eventually get a .280ai barrel for my long action LW Storm, and probably a .308 barrel for my short action, for something to do when I get bored.

I never would have thought the 20" pencil-barrel on my 7mm-08 LW Storm could have kept up with the normal sporter-weight Savage barrels I've owned, but it certainly does. Kind of amazing to me really.
Thanks for the encouragement to stick with it. I probably will for now.

Apollo117

WKR
They are. And you should upgrade that old stock to the newer version. It would be plug and play, and you'll love it. I am a big fan of these new stocks. The old ones, not so much.
Would you elaborate further on the benefits of the new stock? I've had my model 16 LWH almost since they hit the market. I've been searching pretty much the same amount of time for a replacement to the factory stock.

OP
Newtosavage
Would you elaborate further on the benefits of the new stock? I've had my model 16 LWH almost since they hit the market. I've been searching pretty much the same amount of time for a replacement to the factory stock.
Sure. The shape of the new stock is just much better. The problem I have with a lot of stocks is that the "ridge" on the comb comes too close to the action, and the base of my thumb always rides against that ridge, causing my trigger hand to be rotated clockwise (RH shooter) in an unnatural position. They moved that ridge back on the new stocks so you can wrap your hand around the wrist of the stock and there is room for the base of your thumb. So that part alone was huge to me. But the comb height on the new LW Storm stocks (not adjustable) is just perfect to me, and being able to adjust the length of pull is also very welcome. I don't love the look of the texturing, but it is very effective and I've come to appreciate it in the hand, especially when I'm hunting.

I'm a little concerned about the 20" barrel length, although I don't know if I should be. Any concerns on elk size game to 300 yards or deer size game out to 400? How much speed do you lose in two inches? I'd like to plug that into a ballistics calc and see how that changes MPBR.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm a little concerned about the 20" barrel length, although I don't know if I should be. Any concerns on elk size game to 300 yards or deer size game out to 400? How much speed do you lose in two inches? I'd like to plug that into a ballistics calc and see how that changes MPBR.
All my rifles that use the .308-based case, wear 20" barrels. You don't loose that much velocity in those 2" and the quick handling and compactness are worth it to me.

For reference, all my 20" 7mm-08's have easily been able to achieve 2800+ fps. with 140-class bullets, and I'm well over 2950 fps. with my 131 Hammer Hunters, which is basically like carrying a short-action .270.

Elk to 300 or deer to 400 should be no issue at all. It's more important that the bullets are placed on target well, which is easier to do with a rifle you're willing to shoot a lot.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would bed the rail with epoxy. Put release agent on the action, and screws. Rough up the bottom of the rail and tape off the rail so it is easier to clean. Pull it and cut with a razor knife when it is solif but not hardened.

Spread epoxy. tighten the rail so it is level with no stress. You can level up the rifle and then level up the rail as you bed it.

They can't "fix" it and if they do anything it will be a new rifle if you want that.

OP
Newtosavage
My little LWS 7mm-08 continues to impress me.

I picked up some 120 TTSX and 139 LRX's just to play with, and it shoots both of them under 1" with minimal load workup. The 139 LRX's shot 0.6" in fact. Then next day, I took a small buck at 215 yards with a 120 TTSX and the point of impact was exactly where I aimed.

That's two deer with the first two shots, both over 200 yards and the rifle performed perfectly. I just can't get over how well this thing shoots for a 6.5 lb. (all in) rifle with a pencil-thin 20" barrel.

I wanted to see how it would look with a silver scope on it, and the local hardware store happened to have a silver Burris Fullfield II in stock (a scope I had good luck with on my Tikka) so I picked it up a few weeks ago and threw it on there (the VX-Freedom tri-moa graduated to my LWS '06).

The Fullfield II doesn't have the best edge-to-edge sharpness, but the center sharpness is just fine, and it's as bright as my Leupold VX-2 and VX-Freedom scopes. I also like the heavier crosshairs in the Fullfield II and the ballistic reticle is spot-on for my 139 LRX load at 2860 fps.

I really like how it looks now with that silver scope. We might have a keeper combo here.

Attachments

• IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3141.JPG
    IMG_3141.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 59
OP
Newtosavage
If any of you have a LWS in 7mm-08, I would suggest you try IMR 4166 under the 139 LRX's... They are lights-out in mine. 2860 fps. and cloverleafs.

Attachments

• IMG_3206[1].JPG
    IMG_3206[1].JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 53
I don't have a storm. I do have a Lightweight Hunter in 223, and frankly it's the best value I have in a gun. I had one in 6.5 Creed. It was very accurate as well, but I ended up selling it. As is often the case, I wish I hadn't but with 4 6.5s I couldn't really justify it. I'd buy a Lightweight Storm without hesitation. The last 3 centerfire rifles I have bought have all had to go back to the shop. My Nosler that cost 3 times as much as my LWH is approaching 5 months back at Nosler.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34