Savage Lightweight

dotman

WKR
I have been kicking around getting this for awhile, what do you guys think about this model? Probably get the 20in barrel in .308.

My budget is $750 and I found one but don't know much. Haven't thought about or used a gun in 12 years or so and want an all around good gun/caliber.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Depending on where you hunt it could be a great rifle. That said, for up here in Alaska backpacking I prefer stainless synthetic in a rifle. I keep hoping savage will make a lefty lightweight in stainless synethic, but we'll see. I think you could do well by going Tikka T3 Lite in the Sportsman Warehouse special that they have for $750 and be right there weight wise and still be stainless synthetic.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
what species will you hunt?

I mainly bow hunt but i'm thinking if I decide on the unlimited bighorn MT tag I will use a rifle, other then that it could also be used for mainly all possible species in the lower 48, so really everything but grizz. So I guess a do all caliber and quality non custom, probably not pull the trigger this year.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to purchase a hard hitting, long range gunting rifle, but I am unsure what to get. It needs to be light weight as well. I was thinking a Christensen Arms in 300 ultra mag but those ar epretty expensive. Any suggestions?

B

bearguide

dotman, i would pass on the 308, look at the 300s or 7mm