Savage or winchester

Lucky3

FNG
Looking at a 300 win mag this winter. Can't decide between the xpr and the savage 110 hunter. Price is within a hundred or two so not a huge concern. The longest shot for our current setup would be 350yds. My savag 270 can certainly get there, but want a liitle more whack. I hit a doe through the heart this season and she ran 75yds. Wouldn't have found her without friends to help in the dark. Coyotes on that land would have eatin the assend by morning for sure. Any input is welcome. Accuracy, trigger, stocks, other concerns I should have...thx

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I know the Savage line now has an outstanding reputation for accuracy and trigger pull, but I recently handled both the Savage and new Winchester Model 70. I was very impressed with the 70s outstanding finish and wood to metal finish , flawless checkering and buttery smooth action. The magazine reviews have been very favorable. I want one in a .308 (short action), but it will be a while. Locally they had the 70 on sale for about 699.00 as I recall.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a XPR Hunter Vias in 270 this September. I couldn't be more happy with it, the Vias edition while visually is so so for me the Perma-coated (ceramic coating from winchester) barrel and action was the selling point for me. The trigger is more than acceptable, it breaks like a glass rod and its shared with the model 70. Accuracy at 100 yards from a bench is touching holes without trigger adjustment. Overall I'm very happy with it, especially having $720 into it with rings & Leupold vx-3i, both optic and XPR have impressed me.

My thread before buying a XPR (I need to update it since I made a purchase)-

Choosing to move away from 270 is a whole different debate, I'm strictly talking about the XPR and that's where I will stop.

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
Highly doubt any common hunting caliber rifle would have changed that scenario at all. 75 yards after the shot is actually pretty short, and something you should be prepared for
+1
c.png

JayTx

FNG
I've shot does and pigs with a .243 with hornady 100 gr interlocks and 95 gr sst for long time and up to 175 yards and nothing has been lost or tracked more than about 10 yards. The worst tracking jobs I have been involved with includes guys shooting big bore rifles at 100 lb deer...

Edit:
This wasn't really constructive. What ammo are you using in the .270? I'm planning on purchasing a .270 for some midrange hunting for mule deer and including the occasional elk out to 500 yards. The hornady gmx super performance and the eld-x has enough velocity to 500 yards with good shots.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Try the Barnes Vortex 130 TTSX. They shoot exactly the same as my hand loads. Excellent ammo.

If you don't want them running off after you shoot them, shoot them in the shoulder with a good bullet like a partition or copper bullet. You'll loose a little shoulder meat though, if that matters to you.

I have a Winchester that had excessive headspace. First reload there would be a mark, second reload the case would split. Called Winchester, they told me to put a different barrel on it... At my expense.
I have a Savage that had a rough barrel that looked like a rail road track. Called Savage. Sent it in and got a brand new barrel for free in about 3 weeks...
Go Savage.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I won’t try to talk out of a new gun, I always love getting a new one. Of those 2 I would get the Savage. I think ‘generally “ better trigger and more accurate. Tikka's are nice!

16Bore

WKR
If you don't want them running off after you shoot them, shoot them in the shoulder with a good bullet like a partition or copper bullet. You'll loose a little shoulder meat though, if that matters to you.

This.

Can’t blame the rifle, round, or the shot in that scenario. No guarantees what happens when putting a bullet in something with the will to live.

ODB

WKR
I have a Winchester that had excessive headspace. First reload there would be a mark, second reload the case would split. Called Winchester, they told me to put a different barrel on it... At my expense.
I have a Savage that had a rough barrel that looked like a rail road track. Called Savage. Sent it in and got a brand new barrel for free in about 3 weeks...
Go Savage.

?? This was a new rifle?

ODB

WKR
Yep, both were new rifles from the factory with IMO sub-par QC. Savage was so easy to deal with. I haven't even looked at a Winchester since.

That’s very strange. When I sold Winchesters we would send them back for crappy feeding (the WSMs), much less headspace issues.

Winchester has gone though many eras, good and bad. Still, other than a Mauser, they are all I buy.

We had a weatherby vanguard come back from a customer one time who said it would not feed, the round would just jam before it left the magazine.

we opened the box and looked into the chamber...all we saw was the bore...the barrel had never been chambered...yet there was a test target in the box with it...go figure

we joked that they must just stack up targets and shoot them all at one time...

OP
L

Lucky3

FNG
I was shooting rem core lokt 130grain. That savage will shoot almost any cheap ammo and have holes touching at 100yds. Great accurate gun. Just can't imagine a deer going that far with a heart shot. I thought I made a bad hit by the way it was bounding not assdown. Had no shooting rail as the wind had sheared bolts from the quad pod. Sitting in the open on a platform 12ft up. Hilarious!! But what do you do? Too late to move that evening. Imagine my suprise when i field dressed her and stuck my finger through her heart. Had another go a ways last year as well. My cousin is shooting a 300 win mag and it seems like his fall down where they're shot. My hits are just as good or even better. Is it just bad luck for me? Would a 150 grain make that much difference?

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a 300 win mag this winter. Can't decide between the xpr and the savage 110 hunter. Price is within a hundred or two so not a huge concern. The longest shot for our current setup would be 350yds. My savag 270 can certainly get there, but want a liitle more whack. I hit a doe through the heart this season and she ran 75yds. Wouldn't have found her without friends to help in the dark. Coyotes on that land would have eatin the assend by morning for sure. Any input is welcome. Accuracy, trigger, stocks, other concerns I should have...thx
That doe probably would have done the samething with a 300 win mag. I would pick the Savage 110 over the XPR but personally me if you are NOT dieing for the rifle I would save for the M70. I have an M70 Featherweight that is stupid accurate with factory ammo.Capture.JPG