Savage Smokeless Muzzleloader

I recently picked up a Savage smokeless muzzleloader that I am hoping to hunt white tails with this fall. I was wondering if anyone had any bullet or powder recommendations for it? It is a 50 caliber. I am looking at some of the Hornady bore driver bullets, but I am open to suggestions on where to start with it. Thank you.

Scottf270

WKR
Tons of loads out there with a general search. Numerous forums for Savage smokeless also. Read them carefully and if you see certain powders or charges listed, they are probably good to go. I have used 5744 powder and Barnes or Hornady sabots.

I haven't shot it much as some states went to straight wall rifle cartridges for deer. I used high pressure sabots, MMP brand. I also used a small sabot spacer to protect the bullet sabot from damage of heavy charges. You can look them up. May not be necessary but Toby Bridges who was involved in the smokeless rifles lived locally and recommended them.

I have one of the original Savages, not the M2. Mine has a full bolt and could be converted to a rifle with a barrel change. Reason for the change to the M2. Just be safe with proper weight charges and be consistent.

MMP standard with a .451 / .452 diameter bullet was Savage recommended. MMP Sabots has several options depending on what bullet size used.

A quick internet search will give you a lot to work with. Here is Randy Wakemans short list of favorite loads. I’ve had good luck with 60 gr N120 and a 300 gr Parker in a couple of my Savages.

0FC05BDF-79D4-4466-BDC4-7B6AD2B7C275.jpeg

OP
R
Thanks for the help. That is what is showing my manual, but I can not find any of the powders to purchase.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I recently picked up a Savage smokeless muzzleloader that I am hoping to hunt white tails with this fall. I was wondering if anyone had any bullet or powder recommendations for it? It is a 50 caliber. I am looking at some of the Hornady bore driver bullets, but I am open to suggestions on where to start with it. Thank you.
I would start with AA 5744 and IMR 4759 with 41 to 45 grains with a 250 grain or a 275 Parker BE with a black crushrib from Harvester Muzzle loading.

Wapiti1

WKR
My normal load for my savage is 42gr 5744 behind a 300gr parker or hornady sst with black harvester crush rib sabot. Sub in 90gr of BH209 if you have to go blackpowder sub. Gets that Parker moving at 1950fps with 5744, and 1900 with BH209. These loads shoot 1-1.5" in my smokepole.

Try to stick to CCI or Fed primers. Winchester work, but gave me occasional hang fires.

Mine shoots best with a snug but not tight sabot fit.

Take your time to let the barrel cool between shots. Keep the sabots and bullets out of the sun. The plastic softens with heat and accuracy can go to hell.

Jeremy