Savage ultralight w proof barrel 6.5 prc

Anyone have have loads that seemed to work well and easily.
Buddy asked me to do load development for his and I've never had more trouble getting a gun to try and shoot

I've tried 144 hybrids and 156 eol

H1000

Large and magnum primers and multiple depths and nothing wants to shoot. Lapua brass.

Imo the rifle is junk, put over 200 rounds down the barrel and absolutely nothing is consistent or accurate.

It suffers the same issue as every POS factory rifle with a long chamber/throat and a short magazine. So at best I'm starting 40+ thou off the lands and am stuck with mag length or shorter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Can’t speak on the PRC but I have one in 6.5cm and it was crazy easy to develop a load for. Mine shot well in the factory stock but I put it in a XLR chassis and it got even better. Have you messed with the action screws/stock at all?

Reactions: XLR
Mine has been dead nuts accurate since day one. It shot commercial 147 gr ELD-M exceptionally well; could have stayed with that. Have several boxes for “just in case”.

For hand-loads it shot 156 gr Berger’s (3025 fps) amazingly well. Settled on 147 gr ELD-M (3050 fps) as it just bested the Berger’s every time. Using GunWerks brass and RL26.

OP
F
Mine has been dead nuts accurate since day one. It shot commercial 147 gr ELD-M exceptionally well; could have stayed with that. Have several boxes for “just in case”.

For hand-loads it shot 156 gr Berger’s (3025 fps) amazingly well. Settled on 147 gr ELD-M (3050 fps) as it just bested the Berger’s every time. Using GunWerks brass and RL26.
What is your cbol and coal for the 156s and 147s ?

wyosam

WKR
Something isn’t right. Stop burning components and figure out what it is. Action screws, scope/mounting system, crown problem- hard to say. Hated my ultralight, shortest I’ve ever owned a rifle, but it wasn’t because it wouldn’t shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Something isn’t right. Stop burning components and figure out what it is. Action screws, scope/mounting system, crown problem- hard to say. Hated my ultralight, shortest I’ve ever owned a rifle, but it wasn’t because it wouldn’t shoot.

The rifle isn't mine but I've checked everything there is that I can do.. have not checked the crown.
The owner installed a muzzle brake, and its not 100% square, as in ports 90 degrees. Not sure if that's an issue. I do believe there is an issue as the rifle should shoot. It's possible that the scope is bad? It's wearing a zeiss v4

tom338

FNG
I'd start with getting rid of the muzzle brake. You say its not 100% square, take it off. Try some different bullets, and try a different powder. Just because YOU want the rifle to shoot this bullet with this powder does not mean it will

Yeah something is off, mine shot factory hornady ammo extremely well first time i took it out. Ragged holes at 200 and 300 with factory stock but i also put mine in an xlr chassis since then. I would check the scope if its not the brake. I literally just started reloading so i don't have much advice there yet. Im currently loading n565 with the 156 bergers and cutting edge lazers, if you have n565 or reloder 26 you might wanna try those powders if you have any. I'll post it here when i find a good load with the bergers

wyosam

WKR
The rifle isn't mine but I've checked everything there is that I can do.. have not checked the crown.
The owner installed a muzzle brake, and its not 100% square, as in ports 90 degrees. Not sure if that's an issue. I do believe there is an issue as the rifle should shoot. It's possible that the scope is bad? It's wearing a zeiss v4

Could be a scope issue, brake is also a possibility. How bad of accuracy are we talking about? 1” and you’re looking for .5? 2”? All over the paper?

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Lack of details here.

Does it do well with factory ammo?

What COL and jump? What are your chronos? What kinds if spread are you seeing, and at what ranges? All over? Vertical? Horizontal?

Remove MB and retest for sure.
Remove scope, put a known good scope on it, retest without MB.

Check crown.

Need more details and pictures. "Doesn't shoot / nothing is accurate or consistant" is almost always either 1) something loose, broken, or out of square, 2) gross powder/bullet/barrel-tuning incompatability.

I chased a load for a while before I realized the torque on the scope ring mounts was off (loose.) Super frustrating for sure.

Cheers,
-mox