Savage vs remage build

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to build a western gun. I have the normal whitetail rounds and i know they will work for mulies but i want something new.

Im looking at building either a savage or remage build with a custom barrel. 28 nosler, 7mm mag are the front runners for calibers.

Anyone built a semi lightweight rig with a savage or rem700 action?

Not really wanting to spend a fortune. Would like the gun to be a total of 1000 give or take. I just built a 7mm08 off a savage action that will flat out shoot for less than 600 so i know its doable.

Would love to hear some options and even see some builds to give me ideas.

Thanks, Cody

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
With that budget I would think customs are out of the question. With the issues with Remington I would look for an older one if you were planning on building off it. I can tell you that with the larger calibers you will want to put a brake on it to help control the recoil. Within your budget I would strongly consider the Savage Bear Hunter line. You have a great action and trigger as well as a very good barrel right away that can be changed out down the line if you want to switch it up. I have the 300wm and its under MOA with factory ammo with my best group at 3/4 moa at 200 yards but i plan to reload for it so I should be able to improve on that. With a brake you can shoot all day without worrying about recoil. Again, thats a very low budget for a custom so I think I would look at better production guns. Your other option would be to look for used customs but even then you will be likely way over your budget. Tikka is also a nice light weight rifle that is often customized but again, if your going larger calibers you will enjoy putting a brake on it.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka and love it but I'm looking for something different for no reason other than want.

Im not looking for a custom. Just looking for a used action, ill install barrel and do all the work. I am really looking for any ideas from guys that have done the same with weight in mind. Maybe some weight saving tips.

jrnorton4

FNG
It can be done, with very nice results. Jwatts will be along shortly, if not, PM him. He built 2 in the last year, and both are sub-moa at 500. The only reason he hasn't tried further is that is the longest range we have to shoot at.

jwatts

WKR
I recently had a semi lightweight 700 built. I chose to do a Pac-Nor barrel and had a smith fit it. I know people that have done similar Rem-age builds with great results though.

I built a heavy barreled 308 off of a Savage action as well. I used a McGowen Precision barrel. It is unreal how accurate that gun is. McGowen makes a Rem-age barrel too. I wouldn't hesitate to use anything they build. I know local guys that have built their own Savages that are pretty accurate, but the McGowen barrel on mine will shoot with the best of them.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
d799488e44a0776c6c789816b026b122.jpg
b7a4657ef6fd6ec6ab2d8c6979c572d2.jpg

This is a 7mm08 i built with a Shaw barrel, 110 action. I can load the 7mm08 out to the lands with a long action without having to worry about mag length hurting my oal.

Only thing is, its not quite as light as i want for a western rig.

That's a factory savage stock i painted to match manners paint job by the way.

jwatts

WKR
d799488e44a0776c6c789816b026b122.jpg
b7a4657ef6fd6ec6ab2d8c6979c572d2.jpg

This is a 7mm08 i built with a Shaw barrel, 110 action. I can load the 7mm08 out to the lands with a long action without having to worry about mag length hurting my oal.

Only thing is, its not quite as light as i want for a western rig.

That's a factory savage stock i painted to match manners paint job by the way.

I have a very similar setup. I built one for my son off of a 30-06 Stevens. I can load reduced charge 125gr loads for him now, but have the capability to load long, heavy bullets in the future without mag length restrictions. I used a Shaw barrel and is a shooter too.

WKR
The Barrett Fieldcraft rifles are going to be very hard to beat for the money. 5 pounds and very accurate. Son bought a Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08 for $1200. I skim bedded it and it shoots sub moa to 500 yards with 168 bergers. For righthanded shooters, it is very hard to beat some of the factory options out there now.

The Remage barrels I saw start at sporter weight and go up. Those will all be quite a bit heavier than the above two options. Its all fun though and I always am thinking about another build too. Kinda thinking an A5, light varmint Remage 6.5x47 would be fun.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a very similar setup. I built one for my son off of a 30-06 Stevens. I can load reduced charge 125gr loads for him now, but have the capability to load long, heavy bullets in the future without mag length restrictions. I used a Shaw barrel and is a shooter too.
For a budget barrel they are impressive.

When i build my 7mm mag I'm going to try a criterion barrel. Would like to get it fluted to reduce weight if i can.

fishslap

WKR
I'm having a 6.5x284 built off a savage 116 left hand action. I got a great deal on a new lefty 270 so that's what I'm using. My gunsmith is putting a criterion 26" pre-fit barrel on it. I could have used the factory plastic stock but we decided to replace it with a boyds laminate prairie hunter in nutmeg which will be bedded. I'm hoping the whole thing comes in under $1500 without scope, bases, and rings.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
As far as easy and cheaper goes, I would definitely build up a Savage. You can acquire a 110 action fairly cheaply and literally do all of the work yourself. I purchased a new 110 action and a Shilen Select Match 7RM barrel and dropped it in a Manners MCS-T3. The rifle has shot excellent. All you need is a barrel nut wrench and some headspace gauges, its incredibly easy. To trim weight you can buy a Proof 7mm Pre-fit for around $800 vs the $350ish I paid for the Shilen. And you obviously don't need a Manners if you don't want to spend the money, other less expensive quality options out there.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
As far as easy and cheaper goes, I would definitely build up a Savage. You can acquire a 110 action fairly cheaply and literally do all of the work yourself. I purchased a new 110 action and a Shilen Select Match 7RM barrel and dropped it in a Manners MCS-T3. The rifle has shot excellent. All you need is a barrel nut wrench and some headspace gauges, its incredibly easy. To trim weight you can buy a Proof 7mm Pre-fit for around $800 vs the $350ish I paid for the Shilen. And you obviously don't need a Manners if you don't want to spend the money, other less expensive quality options out there.
See post 8. I've built them before. Just never a purposefully built lightweight rig.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Ahhh ya that woulda helped to read, save a little typing.
Haha no problem.

Wonder if anyone has built a lightweight savage build by fluting the barrel and bolt and using lightweight rings and bases? Would it be worth it?