Savages are heavy and they can't shoot...

:D

This is from my new hybrid Lightweight Storm with the barrel I pulled from a model 116 30-06. I don't know where they come up with these barrels, but Savage must have a bucket of pixie dust somewhere that they dip them in before they leave the factory. No "custom" anything. No bedding job, no trigger job. Not even the "accustock."

1.3" at 300 yards.

Rifle weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. with a sporter weight 22" '06 barrel, and 7 lbs. all-in with the Talley rings and 3-9x40 scope. I've owned a lot of very accurate savage rifles now, but this one might take the cake.

06 300 yd.jpg

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
People spend a ton on custom rifles...not that there is anything wrong with that I've just never needed to because my Savages shoot fine. Nice group by the way!
Thanks. I agree on the customs. I would have been tempted myself to go that route, had I not seen what factory Tikka and Savage rifles were capable of. I liked my Tikkas, but Savages are more fun to tinker with, cheaper, and just as accurate.

HiRidge

FNG
Thanks. I agree on the customs. I would have been tempted myself to go that route, had I not seen what factory Tikka and Savage rifles were capable of. I liked my Tikkas, but Savages are more fun to tinker with, cheaper, and just as accurate.
Agree completely. I bought one of those cheap 12fv in .308 from Cabela's and it blew my mind what a $300 rifle could do with some good glass on top of it. My 116 has always been a tack driver as well.

Savage is about the only gun company that has never disappointed me. Remington, Ruger (many times) Nosler and Christensen Arms have.

I think my next rifle is a 110 lightweight storm in 7mm-08. I keep coming back to it after looking around at other offerings.

OP
Newtosavage
Nice group! Can you repeat it?
Already have. Trip to the range yesterday evening to confirm things was successful. I'll want one more range trip with a similar group to really feel confident about this rifle/scope/load combo. The next step will be to practice with it each week until I get to check zero at altitude the week before my hunt.

I got a old, heavy and ugly Savage 99 30.30 Thing still smokes deer with iron sights. Then I found a uglier and heavier 24V. .223/20ga. love that coyote gun!
Every Savage I own always hits its target.

:D

This is from my new hybrid Lightweight Storm with the barrel I pulled from a model 116 30-06. I don't know where they come up with these barrels, but Savage must have a bucket of pixie dust somewhere that they dip them in before they leave the factory. No "custom" anything. No bedding job, no trigger job. Not even the "accustock."

1.3" at 300 yards.

Rifle weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. with a sporter weight 22" '06 barrel, and 7 lbs. all-in with the Talley rings and 3-9x40 scope. I've owned a lot of very accurate savage rifles now, but this one might take the cake.

View attachment 216641

I hope you didn’t use a Leupold, that with a Savage and anything less than a 10-shot group could get you banned for life here 🤣. Send a pic of the setup if you don’t mind - if been thinking of grabbing one of those storms (have two savages now, 25- and 30-06).

OP
Newtosavage
I hope you didn’t use a Leupold, that with a Savage and anything less than a 10-shot group could get you banned for life here 🤣. Send a pic of the setup if you don’t mind - if been thinking of grabbing one of those storms (have two savages now, 25- and 30-06).
Worse, it's wearing a Redfield Revolution! :D :D :D Damn thing is one of the clearest, sharpest scopes I've owned. I like it over the VX-3i that I had. I can read the holdover numbers on my target at 300 yards and it has a useful reticle, unlike the useless Leupold 4moa duplex.

This is one of the new Lightweight Storm stocks (that I love) and actions, with a standard factory 116 22" barrel. Eventually I'll probably have a custom .280ai barrel made for this rifle, but the way this '06 barrel shoots, it's hard to think about swapping it really.

This setup weighs 7 lbs. 1 oz. on my scale, as shown.

IMG_3965.JPGIMG_3966.JPGIMG_3967.JPG

Worse, it's wearing a Redfield Revolution! :D :D :D Damn thing is one of the clearest, sharpest scopes I've owned. I like it over the VX-3i that I had. I can read the holdover numbers on my target at 300 yards and it has a useful reticle, unlike the useless Leupold 4moa duplex.

This is one of the new Lightweight Storm stocks (that I love) and actions, with a standard factory 116 22" barrel. Eventually I'll probably have a custom .280ai barrel made for this rifle, but the way this '06 barrel shoots, it's hard to think about swapping it really.

This setup weighs 7 lbs. 1 oz. on my scale, as shown.

View attachment 217621View attachment 217622View attachment 217623

Man, you are really pushing the limits... holdovers are a big no-no! Dialing is the only way to kill nowadays 🤣.

How’s the recoil?

EastMT

WKR
Man, you are really pushing the limits... holdovers are a big no-no! Dialing is the only way to kill nowadays .

How’s the recoil?

Hahaha yeah, I see new hunters talking about dialing a scope, I’m like if you need to dial and are new, you may want to just get closer. If you haven’t shot under pressure/nerves/heavy breathing, don’t start dialing yet!

OP
Newtosavage
Man, you are really pushing the limits... holdovers are a big no-no! Dialing is the only way to kill nowadays 🤣.

How’s the recoil?

Stout, but bearable with the 165/168's. Not sure I want to shoot 180's out of it though. I'd really like to either have that barrel fluted (if possible) or have a fluted barrel made. That would complete the build in my mind. But for now, that extra 5 oz. or so out front provides some relief from recoil and muzzle rise. I have to give Savage credit for the stock re-design. It mitigates recoil very well.

OP
Newtosavage
Hahaha yeah, I see new hunters talking about dialing a scope, I’m like if you need to dial and are new, you may want to just get closer. If you haven’t shot under pressure/nerves/heavy breathing, don’t start dialing yet!
I tried dialing and effed up my first range session so bad that I got rid of that scope and went back to holding over. I bought the Revolution not only because it's sharp and clear as hell, but because it has a wider duplex than the Leupold, and when zeroed at 200, the tip of the bottom post should be dead on for 500 (my max range). I can figure out 300 and 400 pretty easily.