SAVING A HUNTERS LIFE

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A bit of clarification. I was trying not to be too long winded, the result is what I said can lead to false conclusions.

CPR is good for hypothermia, if the person is actually in arrest. 1-2 beat per minute is considered acceptable in profound hypothermia, so a central pulse (femoral or carotide) needs to be palpated for 1 minuet before starting CPR.

A cold heart (about 85 F to over simplify) is very irritable, and even moving the person can cause V-fib. So gentle handling is in order. One can see how the brutality of chest compressions could do the same.

One reason to take courses is that they teach things for the best odds of a good outcome for the level of training provided. Unless you want to pick a topic and obses over it, the best thing is to stick with whatever you have been trained to do and just look to expand that training.

I enjoy the granular analysis and nerd out on it. I do worry that sometimes I muddy the water rather than helping. Especially in none medical venues.

Here are the WMS guidelines. I feel like my posts are too wordy, but one can see how little detail I actually go into. https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(19)30173-5/fulltext

If the situation is safe for rescuers, 30 minuets of CPR is not unreasonable and will insure an opertinity to save is not missed. In hypothermia, prolong CPR of hours is reasonable.

Edit: The justification for stopping after 30 minutes would be rescuer safety, exhaustion, and the need to perform other tasks to keep rescuers safe. If you know a helo is inbound and you can physically and safely coninue, there will be fewer potential questions if you don't stop. Yes, this sorta contradics what I said before. It comes from the legal/liability perspective as there is always a need to be able to articulate why decisions are made.

Last edited: