Saving Idaho Elk

Anyone have a good idea where the most concentration of wolves are in Idaho...like to save some elk and deer up there. Also, how easy it is to get access on ranches to shoot wolves that are over running the ranch, killing elk/deer and messing with cattle. This is for Idaho only. Be rifle hunting and would like to stay south of North Fork, ID.

KHNC

WKR
The LOLO zone has plenty of wolves. But i cant help you on specific ranches. Low elk population due to the wolf pop.

KHNC

WKR
If you wanted to drive up to NW Montana, there are a TON of wolves there. We saw wolf tracks daily in the snow last november. I had a tag, but we never encountered any to shoot. Trout Creek area over towards the ID border has plenty.

Elk zones that have significant wolf presence:

Salmon
Sawtooth
Middle Fork
Selway
Lolo
Elk City
Panhandle
Clearwater
Beaverhead

Moderate elk presence in many others.

Low wolf populations south of I-84

Cover a lot of ground to find them. Wolves are roamers. They concentrate some on winter range but still cruise country.

A rancher can shoot his own wolves. Unlikely to want you around.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Those two things cancel each other out.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of wolves in central Idaho below that line. Not the concentration there are in the wilderness zones, but they're there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There's lots of Wolves in 10,12 and 10A Saw one yesterday in 10A in the afternoon as it crossed the road.

There's one guy who's killed 7 or 8 wolves in the 10A area since August 1, but all he does is hunt.

The upper Dowrshak reservoir is a good starting point for 10A

Selway

FNG
Not necessarily. There are plenty of wolves in central Idaho below that line. Not the concentration there are in the wilderness zones, but they're there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There are plenty, no doubt. But he asked about the highest concentration, which is most definitely north of that line.

Hunted unit 10 and never saw an elk. Found wolf tracks and heard them at night. From what I heard from other people the wolves are very thick there. Never seen any but they are definitely there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Lol
Anyone have a good idea where the most concentration of wolves are in Idaho...like to save some elk and deer up there. Also, how easy it is to get access on ranches to shoot wolves that are over running the ranch, killing elk/deer and messing with cattle. This is for Idaho only. Be rifle hunting and would like to stay south of North Fork, ID.
lolo 10. You won’t have to work hard to find them. However, if you plan to kill them, I’d suggest being a competent predator hunter. If you haven’t killed coyotes, fox etc before, I’d start their and get experience. Wolves are much more cautious and intelligent than yotes. The mistakes you may get away with a yote won’t work on a wolf.