Saving Points in GPS Help

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I have a Garmin 64st and I have never used a GPS before. Can anyone recommend any good videos on youtube or some online articles on what programs to use and how to save points onto the GPS for future hunts. Should I be using google earth, or the base camp software? Any help is much appreciated as I am totally new to GPS.

BK

oldgoat

WKR
Either should work but I think the basecamp will auto store them to the GPS if you sync it. Trying to walk you through something like this over the internet seems virtually impossible in my mind! Lots of sporting goods store like Gander, Cabela's etc hold classes on stuff like this, maybe research that route. Good luck, sorry I'm not more help!

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I use the same GPS as you. Personally my process goes as follows:

1. Get on google earth, find a point you want to go to, set a pin on this location (give it a name).
2. Right click on set pin, click the "properties" prompt.
3. Get on the GPS, click "mark".
4. Click down to Latitude and Longitude, set these to match what google says, name it the same as in google
5. click down and save the point
6. go to location near the point, get out of vehicle, pull out gps, hover over waypoint, click " go to", switch to the compass section and begin walking.
7. get to point, glass up animals, hunt

Okay, so the last point is optional, but hopefully that is a decent starting point.

You may have to switch your GPS long/ lat number style to fit google earth, or visa versa. Both should allow you to change it fairly easily.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
BaseCamp. It is made for ease of use with Garmin units. Also, just plug your GPS in and the GPS maps come up. Very easy to save waypoints, create tracks/routes, etc.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks all. I assume base camp has the imagery along with a topo overlay. I can't seem to figure that out on google earth......I am not very computer savy.

Brendan

WKR
I use the same GPS as you. Personally my process goes as follows:

1. Get on google earth, find a point you want to go to, set a pin on this location (give it a name).
2. Right click on set pin, click the "properties" prompt.
3. Get on the GPS, click "mark".
4. Click down to Latitude and Longitude, set these to match what google says, name it the same as in google
5. click down and save the point
6. go to location near the point, get out of vehicle, pull out gps, hover over waypoint, click " go to", switch to the compass section and begin walking.
7. get to point, glass up animals, hunt

Okay, so the last point is optional, but hopefully that is a decent starting point.

You may have to switch your GPS long/ lat number style to fit google earth, or visa versa. Both should allow you to change it fairly easily.

Way too much work here.

How about - create waypoints in Google Earth, Export as KML/KMZ, and then load directly to your GPS using Basecamp so you don't need to type anything in at all on the GPS? Works for waypoints, tracks and Areas. I use a Montana 650, but process should be the same.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
University of Elk Hunting by Corey Jacobsen has a great video on how to transfer anything from Google earth onto a GPS unit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Way too much work here.

How about - create waypoints in Google Earth, Export as KML/KMZ, and then load directly to your GPS using Basecamp so you don't need to type anything in at all on the GPS? Works for waypoints, tracks and Areas. I use a Montana 650, but process should be the same.
I was just sharing what I do and what works for me. I have not done anything different because it works for me. I am able to do it pretty quickly as well, but I can't compare to anything else. I probably won't change it up simply because I do not need to do so, plus doing a little extra work doesn't hurt my feelings any

Brendan

WKR
I was just sharing what I do and what works for me. I have not done anything different because it works for me. I am able to do it pretty quickly as well, but I can't compare to anything else. I probably won't change it up simply because I do not need to do so, plus doing a little extra work doesn't hurt my feelings any.

Didn't mean it as an offense - but look at it this way. I've scouted a new area and created 50+ waypoints in google earth to explore or reference when I get there. To get it into my GPS - that's import one file, as opposed to manually creating 50+ waypoints in the GPS. If you're already creating them in google earth - try these steps.

1. In google Earth - put all the waypoints you want to export in one folder.

2. Right click the folder and select "Save Place As" - pick a name, save as a KMZ or KML file to your computer.

3. Open Basecamp, Select "My Collection" then File Menu -> Import into My Collection

4. Navigate to the KMZ/KML file, select import.

At that point - they're all in Basecamp and you can move them on/off your GPS as needed.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Didn't mean it as an offense - but look at it this way. I've scouted a new area and created 50+ waypoints in google earth to explore or reference when I get there. To get it into my GPS - that's import one file, as opposed to manually creating 50+ waypoints in the GPS. If you're already creating them in google earth - try these steps.

1. In google Earth - put all the waypoints you want to export in one folder.

2. Right click the folder and select "Save Place As" - pick a name, save as a KMZ or KML file to your computer.

3. Open Basecamp, Select "My Collection" then File Menu -> Import into My Collection

4. Navigate to the KMZ/KML file, select import.

At that point - they're all in Basecamp and you can move them on/off your GPS as needed.
Maybe I'll give it a shot if I have a big group like that, usually I only add a couple at a time, so it isn't too bad. Good information

xziang

WKR
I use a manual method. :(

I will offer one point of advice. When you get the GPS coordinates from google earth or wherever..... It is/was easier for me to create a NEW way point on my GPS and then go into that waypoint you just created and 'modify' it to match the coordinates that you obtained from google earth.

The thing to remember is there are different settings for GPS points and how they 'read'. (decimal degrees) (Degrees, minutes, seconds)

I haven't figured out how to transfer way points from a program to my GPS.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks All. I will be doing a public land turkey hunt here in NYS next month. Currently Escouting and will try this and hopefully wind up at my destination, since I have never put boots on the ground there yet. This was all very helpful.