Saw vs. Hatchet

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Which do you prefer? Been doing the Wyoming saw thingy for like 20yrs now... :) Simply because nothing else is as "Rok" solid.

But at 18oz now I'm wondering about this little diddy.

http://sogknives.com/store/F06T-N.html

Experienced hatchet guys know their usefulness. This tool seemed to be the real deal. Thinking about giving it a go. only weight an ounce more than the Wyo Saw but as far as multi tasking seems a no brainer.

And please no one mention the Gerber Sliding Saw cause if ya do I'll have to remove ya from my list of guys that knows "ROK" soild gear! :)

Anyway any hatchet guys out here?

hodgeman

WKR
I rather like a long hatchet or "boy's axe" but not when I'm backpacking.

Of course I generally hunt high tundra so there's not really much in the way of wood to chop or split and the Wyoming saw is the stuff for breaking down game.

Mike7

WKR
I have the SOG hand axe (18 oz) and it is great for spitting wood for the stove (the handle is metal and can be batoned, and it seems way more effective than any knife I've ever tried). I still throw my Sawvivor (12 ounces with extra wood and bone blade and carry sheath) in my pack long before the hand axe. For a comfortable backpack in base camp though (shared by more than one guy), I will bring both the saw and the axe.

littlebuf

Banned
i picked up one of these this year.weighs nothing and takes up as much room as what i keep my tags in.making a huge effort to cut weight this year and have done pretty good with some of the stuff ive picked up.i found that what i used a hatchet for was pounding in tent stakes and thats about it,plenty of rocks around for that.ill see how i like it

http://compare.ebay.com/like/180832373818?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

For what? I use a hatchet. One side for chopping wood, and the back of the hatchet for pounding tipi pegs into the ground

B

bearguide

i carry a saw so i can take off the horns and leave the rest of the head / i do not want the weight