Sawbuck or decker pack saddle

Idahoguy

FNG
What do you use and why? Looking to pack camp supplies, hunting and occasional fencing materials on the ranch.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Decker, all you need is manty tarps to build your load and you can pack anything, I grew up using both, sawbucks are nice for hauling meat in utah panniers but I liked the deckers better for work. Also if you got one side heavier than the other you can adjust how it rides on deckers easier and without repacking everything. Also with either you gotta learn hitches. Also if you want to use panniers you can on a decker, alforjas hooks make it easy.

Decker with combination bars. That way you can use them with panniers when it's convenient or sling mante loads when that's the better option. It's a Decker saddle but instead of having the rounded hoops/bars, there's some way the bags catch. This is a Ray Holes saddle and their way of handling it is bars are squared off more instead of being rounded (panniers were empty in this photo so just buckled through the bars, with a load they hang like they would on a sawbuck). Companies have different designs for the bars but use the same basic concept.
44c164e8298139343d54b50c9c4befa0.jpg

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I've used all three and the modified deckers are my favorite. They just add so much versatility it's amazing. Of course I've watched some old time packers and they can make about anything work with the right hitches and manty configurations.

WYELK83

FNG
We like using a decker with a half breed on the pack horses. We run a sawbuck on the pack mules because they have a double cinch that seems to keep the load from barrel rolling on the mules.

HKM

FNG
I guess I am the only one that likes sawbuck over the decker. I have packed all sorts of items with a sawbuck. From normal camp gear to bags of sand and cement to deer elk large propane tanks. You can use a sawbuck with g gear in tarps and sling like a decker. If you have to stop and unload and load like when working on trails sawbuck with panniers work great. I am sure if I had started working with deckers I would think different. As for uneven loads you can adjust your load on a sawbuck with out unloading . If you pack a lot you will acquire the the skills to build loads that will ride and not sore your pack animals. Have a great time with what ever you go with