Saws

I have a Silky 240 but am looking at Wyoming as they are tougher for my neanderthal hands. Anyone got an opinion on here?

OP
Brandon Pattison
I bought one of these in Clare, MI at Jay's. It is better than my Gerber sliders. I think Silkys are excellent quality but after cutting trillions of cuts with a hacksaw (I am a sparky) I am better at pushing rather than pulling and tend to bow the blade, bending it and thus ruining it.

I carry a Bahco Laplander saw- they are made in Sweden I believe.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing beats a Wyoming saw as far as something packable goes. The only drawback is the weight. I sure do wish they would make the handle out of something liter. If you are going to buy one, get the longer modle. I love mine!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
WW,

I dropped the Wyoming due to its weight, and time to build it. That Gerber pack saw I posted above is only 8 oz, just pull it out and go and I can cut with it just as fast. Plus they are only like 20 bones so they won't break the bank.

slim9300

WKR
I have the 15" Sawvivor. The thing is half the weight of the Wyoming and does the same thing. I store wood and bone blades in the handle. It worked great last year on the 4 elk my partner and I killed.

Mine weighs 9.51 ounces with both blades. I own the Gerber saw mentioned above and I far prefer the design of the Sawvivor.

Last edited:
Looked up Sawvivor, I have a browning that "looks" similar. Saw a saw (okay) on the tube the other evening that looked like a string. He sawed through the skull of a Caribou below the antlers. Don't know how long it took him but it looked slick.

Mike7

WKR
I have to agree completely on the 15" Sawvivor. I love it. I keep it in a little homemade pouch with drawstring closure and with 2 wood blades and 1 bone blade in the handle or pouch. Entire kit is 11 ounces.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Over the years i have used hatchets, various saws and have gone to the wyoming saw for the last 5 yrs. As WW noted it is a little heavy in the handle but it will do the job very nicely! I like the smaller size due to weight.

WYOMING ALL THE WAY!!! I have used one since 1998 and have nothing but great things to say! My dad has two, my brother has one and I have one as well. I can't even begin to count the number of animals those saws have butchered and trees they have cut.