Sawtooth for 3 people?

Simps

FNG
Hi guys,
I am wondering what your thoughts are on having 3 guys in a sawtooth? We obviously need enough room for mats, sleeping bags, and backpacks... but don't necessarily need a bunch of extra space... Will the sawtooth work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll be tight, but can/has been done; backpacks may have to stay outside though. It'll also help if the person in the middle is short to better fit with the shorter middle pole. I'd also say that running with a stove and 3 people would be close to impossible. I would also worry about condensation if the guys on the outside run down bags they may run into issues. If you are handy with a needle and thread you can do the "Moffat mod" to eliminate the short center pole if you aren't going to be in heavy winds to give yourselves a little more room.

OP
S

Simps

FNG
Thanks for the response. So a 6 man tipi might be a better idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slept four in a sawtooth once! But it's better suited for 2.

6 man will fit 3 easy! If you want more room for 3 and gear get 8 man

oldgoat

WKR
Nope unless two of the guys are actually really pretty gals, well they wouldn't actually have to be real pretty, just not ugly! Two adult people is all I'd want to put in a sawtooth!

Tsnider

WKR
not happening in my sawtooth. if the stove wasnt there it could be done, but if i wanted to be crowded id wouldnt have spent 850 dollars on my tipi. i would tell the third guy to bring himself a tent.

Brendan

WKR
It'd work in a real pinch and you'd be all over each other, but to be honest, I liked my Sawtooth as a solo spike camp shelter. But, I like my space after a day hunting...

Depends on your budget, but I'd get an 8-12 man. No problem to carry it with 3 guys, and works for a base camp tent too. Then add something smaller for 1-2.

Read1t48

WKR
Not sure if budget is a concern but an 8 man is perfect for 3 guys and gear -- and you can have room and still use the stove. In the winter, or other times where adverse conditions are probable, it's nice to have enough room that you don't get forced close to the sides of the tipi. As others have said, it's an easy carry with two or three guys.

I've been in a sawtooth with 3 people and it was fine with packs. No stove though. Way more room in a sawtooth then a 3 man tent.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Get that danged rear pole out of there and guy it out from the outside and its still stouter than my Pyramid style shelters in the wind and 3 with a stove is easily doable.

nphunter

WKR
Look at the seek outside Little Bug Out Base/Tarp/Base. It will fit 4 easily with a stove and 6 without the stove and can be used as a base/base to fit 4 without a stove. You can even use it as just a base if you wanted to go UL. I just had mine setup in the backyard as a base/base to see how well it will work this summer and it will be plenty big for my family of 4 and our gear.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the seek outside Little Bug Out Base/Tarp/Base. It will fit 4 easily with a stove and 6 without the stove and can be used as a base/base to fit 4 without a stove. You can even use it as just a base if you wanted to go UL. I just had mine setup in the backyard as a base/base to see how well it will work this summer and it will be plenty big for my family of 4 and our gear.

Do you have pictures of the base-base? I'm considering going this route for a 2-man set up w/stove but have concerns on space. SO lists the Base-Base configuration at 86 SF on their website, which would be pretty tight considering the Sawtooth is 115 SF and has been described as ideal for 2 persons + stove.

nphunter

WKR
Do you have pictures of the base-base? I'm considering going this route for a 2-man set up w/stove but have concerns on space. SO lists the Base-Base configuration at 86 SF on their website, which would be pretty tight considering the Sawtooth is 115 SF and has been described as ideal for 2 persons + stove.

If it were going to be a designated 2 person with a stove I would probably go a different route, probably something like a Cimmaron or Sawtooth. In order to use the Base/Base with a stove you have to have the stove jack installed in one of the bases, the BTB comes with the jack in the tarp. The reason i went with the LBO BTB is so I could fit 4 people with a stove during early and late season hunts, fit two people with a stove for ID elk and have a nice light 4 person backpacking tent with no stove in the summer, I can also toss the tarp in my pack by its self during mid day glassing in the hot sun or rain.

As far as fitting 2 and a stove IMO there is plenty of room, if you pitch the center pole at a slight angle you have about a 6.5' x 8.5' usable space to sleep and about 3.5' x 8.5' area for the Stove, wood and gear. You could also lay length wise and have the stove right in between two people right above their heads and you gear could go above your head and you would each have your own door to exit from and all of your gear could be behind the stove above there heads for easy access.

It is a very versatile system, I have a wife and two kids that go with me backpacking and hunting, I also just hunt with one or two people in the early season so i can make one tent work for multiple uses, It will be going to ID in Nov. for a elk hunt and will use it for two of us with our winter gear and a stove. I was really tempted to buy a 6 man Tipi instead but it would have been too much for when i didn't have everyone with me, I actually called SO to order a Tipi and they talked me into the LBO for what my intended use was going to be although it cost less. They also make a nest for the LBO which is pretty cool if your in a buggy area.

Sorry i didn't take any pics of the Base/Base setup, I just had it setup in my back yard yesterday after work too. I will attach some inside pictures to give you an idea on size. That is a 9'x10' piece of Tyvek. Using the Guy Lines to pull the sides out makes a ton more usable space as well.

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider

Where did you get the square footage data on the Sawtooth? I ran the numbers on Kifaru's website and came up with 82 square feet.