Sawtooth Opinions

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking of going with the sawtooth with medium stove for doing a little off season camping here in WI as well as mid Sept elk hunting in Colorado. I know the stove would be sweet for winter camping, but is overkill for mid Sept in CO? I've also read that these tipi type tents can have big problems with condensation in certain conditions, anyone ever experience this? I've been told that the floorless tents can also lead to bug problems, and I really dont want to have any uninvited guests. This Sept will be my first mountain camping experience so all help is appreciated.

Thanks

I don't have a Sawtooth, but have never had a problem with bugs in any floorless shelter I have owned.
It is my understanding that Kifaru makes a liner for the Sawtooth in case of condensation issues, but I'm assuming you could always run the stove and dry out the interior too.
There have been several occasions where I was grateful for a stove in September.

Gman

WKR
Floorless shelter with stove will change your life. I'm not kidding. Bugs have never been a problem for me. If you live in a damp or very humid area condensation could be an issue easily solved with a liner. But here in CO I've spent many a night in a Sawtooth and condensation is no issue. There may be some but it's not enough to worry about. The stove will burn off any moisture. I run a small stove in mine and have never been cold - down to single digits outside. Don't hesitate on the Sawtoooth. It's a winner. Perfect for one or two hunters/campers.

for the guys running floorless how do you keep all of your stuff dry? i have noticed where we go the ground is like a soaked sponge all year long. i would love to go with a tipi but i just dont see how to keep stuff dry with spongey or snow covered ground. would it be reasonable to make a floor for some of these tipis in not to worryed about weight we are in the process of buying pack goats so i can spare a few pounds.

Gman

WKR
The stove will dry the entire floor out amazingly quick. You'll be shocked how it works. In winter, it creates a firm crust of snow and makes for a nice "floor". I've taken to leaving the Tyvek and carrying a minimalist bivy like an ID bugaboo... that way you're protected and if hunting you have the ability to bivy out if need be. adds some more ounces but not much more.

dot 1

FNG
new guy chiming in.the sawtooth was probly the best gear investment ive ever made. use it year round and it is tough. makes hunting late season bucks and bulls in the high country much much more enjoyable. roomy as hell and the stove is a must,keeps me out when all others fear cold and crappy weather. they stand behind their products better than any one ive dealt with.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have started using floorless shelters 2 years ago and haven't looked back. The Sawtooth is a bomber shelter. Any shelter that can weigh in that little and still put of with high winds such as this video I made up one my trip to Kodiak, is a good shelter in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNzPkXSoixo

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It wasn't too pleasant at the time, just grateful it didn't snow one us in addition to the 50+ mph winds. The stove inside the Sawtooth made it VERY nice compared to what it could have been. :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh we had snow too, just not combined with 50+ mph winds and very grateful for it. :D

We had to "tunnel" out that morning and knock off the snow from the tents. Nothing like heavy wet 30 degree snow to start your day, thankfully it was only blowing 25-30. :D
IMGP0807.jpg

Gotta love Kodiak!!!

jhedine

FNG
Maybe I'm confused but why did you sleep in the floored 4season tent? Maybe I heard things incorrectly

I have started using floorless shelters 2 years ago and haven't looked back. The Sawtooth is a bomber shelter. Any shelter that can weigh in that little and still put of with high winds such as this video I made up one my trip to Kodiak, is a good shelter in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNzPkXSoixo

luke moffat

Super Moderator
We brought two shelters on this trip as the 4 season floored one is a 20 pound shelter but we wanted the option to spike out for bear if needed, thus we also brought the Sawtooth. Ended up not spiking out, but used the woodstove with the sawtooth as our hangout/gear storage shelter and the other tent to sleep in. Worked pretty well. Had we only had the Sawtooth we obviously wouldn't have purposely set it up in just a direct line to the wind.

jhedine

FNG
Do you think the sawtooth would have been a better place to sleep or were you happy with the four season?

jhedine

FNG
I'm just trying to figure things out. I understand the benefit of the stove for cooking and hanging out but question it for sleeping