Sawtooth users !

Will a sawtooth hold two guys bags a stove ? See there is a mod for the back pole that will open it up. Don't really want to buy a 4-6 man tipi to fit 3 when it will have 2 most of the time . Thanks for any help

PNWGATOR

WKR
From the pics I've seen, easily. Take a look at stid2677 and Luke Moffat's pics (among many other users as well) and it'll show the sawtooth in action exactly as you describe.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
Two people and gear will not be a problem. Three would be tight only because of where the third person would sleep. There is plenty of room otherwise.

Shrek

WKR
I'm 6'4" and 252lbs this morning and two of me and gear plus stove is roomy and three of me would be doable but with gear and stove tight. The rear tie out to do away with the rear interior pole would make a third easier but it would still be a full house. I love my Sawtooth !

OP
matt1glenn
Like the sawtooth but unsure if I need to go bigger I think most it will be 2 off us but once in awhile 3 , so don't know if say a 6 man tipi would be better

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
Love the 6 man tipi so far. Used it in the adirondaks last month. Slept 4 grown men and a boy with the stove running. Full house but worked out perfect

If you are going with 2 guys and sometimes 3, I would probably go all the way in and get an 8-man. I own a Sawtooth and an 8-man. I like plenty of usable space in a shelter and don't enjoy being cramped up. An 8-man has been my primary shelter for extended hunts in Alaska with 2 guys and all gear. When I add in a stove, plus kindling and firewood piles I'm happy with the space. My Sawtooth is great, and a tougher shelter I haven't owned. It's good for 2 men and gear as long as they aren't really big men and keeping a lot of gear inside, plus a stove etc. I consider my Sawtooth a superb 1-man luxury shelter for extended backcountry hunts. There is simply no way I would ever want to do 3 guys in it unless it was a very short hunt and used basically as a sleeping quarters. That's me and not everyone will see it this way of course which is fine. I think you have to know what you like for space and features. I've seen a lot of guys upsize their rigs after owning them for less than 3 years. Extra size is seldom a negative except maybe in weight, and space to heat in cold weather.

MTtrout

WKR
I also agree with Shrek. We sleep 3 occasionally and it's tight, but for my needs I wouldn't choose a larger tipi over my sawtooth.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
b421fcf1e0495de6dcbcc9065168b048.jpg

This is setup for two people without the stove. The stove doesn't take up much more room. (I'm standing inside the tents footprint with a door open when I took this photo)

topher89

WKR
How about two people and 2 dogs (lab mixes, 65lbs a piece)??

We are thinking about a tent but not sure if a Sawtooth or a 6/8 man would be a better choice for our needs?

Thanks!

Craig4791

WKR
Two guys with cots a stove, wood and gear works great just need to be clean and organized.

They are lost Rangers. Not sure of the width. Can't help you on height. You have 10" on me!

Aw, forgot they changed the color scheme; the old ones look like the Deer Park. Lost Ranger is for 20" pads, so my guess is that you couldn't get 3 25" pads in a Sawtooth, but 2 25" pads would still fit with plenty of room.

Shrek

WKR
COlineman78 , you will down crawling for most of the tent and at 6'5" you will be right at the pole to stand and you will bow your head a tiny bit most likely. I can sit in my Helinox chair in the middle of the tent behind the pole and feed the stove so the roof isn't right on top of you. It's not claustrophobic at all to me. It would have to be an eight man to stand with comfort but finding a campsite in the backcountry would be a SOB if you were willing to lug that big of a shelter. Finding a good spot for my Sawtooth is hard enough that I don't want to think about hunting for a spot for a six or eight man tipi.