Sawyer inline

OP
Rocky

Rocky

WKR
Got to love rei dividend and 20% off !...how did your set up work? I'm waiting for my new kifaru pack to arrive so I can give it a test run.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Not intending to be condescending or anything, but just remember: that thing is a filter, not a purifier. Some people aren't aware of that. A filter won't catch giardia and other real small stuff.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Giardia is a relatively large Protozoa and is easily filtered by the Sawyer.

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/products.asp

Last edited:
Not intending to be condescending or anything, but just remember: that thing is a filter, not a purifier. Some people aren't aware of that. A filter won't catch giardia and other real small stuff.

Simply not true... check the REI or Sawyer sites and they clearly say it does filter different types of bacteria including giardia.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/837824/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter-plus

Mike

Beastmode

WKR

I believe you mean it won't catch really small stuff like a virus... it will catch beaver fever.

Giardia and crypto are measured in microns, most filters are measured in tenths of microns.

Sold my Katydyn after I got my sawyer, big space and weight saver.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

WKR
I know there are people on rok slide more knowledgable then I, but everything I read said don't let them freeze. If they freeze unthaw them and they still work.

Q: What's in wilderness water that can affect me?

A: Three groups of waterborne critters are most commonly linked to water-related illness:

Protozoan cysts (Cryptosporidium parvum, Giardia lamblia). Tiny (1 to 300 microns; 1 micron = one-millionth of a meter).

Bacteria (Escherichia coli, or E. coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni, Yersinia entercolitica, Leptospira interrogans and many others). Very tiny (0.1 to 10 microns).

Viruses (hepatitis A, rotavirus, enterovirus, norovirus, Norwalk virus). Exceptionally tiny (0.005 to 0.1 micron). Viruses are rarely found in North American wilderness waters. Only purifiers (not filters) eliminate viruses.

The Sawyer water filter filters down to .1 micron, the Sawyer water purifier filters down to .02 microns