Sawyer squeeze as a gravity filter

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the squeeze bags and platypus soft bottles. I use the bottom half of a cut in half plastic water bottle and scoop the water like a cup and pour into the dirty bag. It works really well for tiny creeks. You could use the top half instead and you would have a spare bottle lid and a funnel, but I shed the percent of an ounce and carry the bottom half.

I'm planning on going to something else for easy filling of high capacity, though, like platypus bladder with big opening at the top. TBD on that for me, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rookie

FNG
Any more experiences with the squeeze setups? Also different models? I would like a base camp freshwater supply and also a setup for the pack. What are you guys using for bags dirty bags? Maybe a big bag for camp and 3l for the pack. I blew holes in all the sawyer bags and looking to replace them. Thanks

Ehiggins

WKR
We have started running a squeeze as a gravity setup at camp the last couple years. Use a MSR dromedary as a dirty. If you leave the dromedary hung and undisturbed for a little bit the sediment will settle to the lowest point which is below the outlet. Use a couple feet of hose to the squeeze and another short piece of hose with a screw fitting for a platy on the other. Attach a clean platy bladder and it works fantastic. Keep a dirty evernew or cnoc bag in our packs to use as a squeeze bag with the filter during the day if we run out of water. Just back-flush the filter hard from time to time and really well at home. No issues using the same one for 5 years now.

TomJoad

WKR
I’m a fan of the platypus gravity set-up. Caveat is later season hunting freeze management for all tube based systems. I leave the dirty bag hung in camp for on demand needs and if the spike camp is further from water I fill up an extra dirty bag while out on the hunt. It’s fast enough that you don’t need to filter in advance, just use on demand.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I made a dirty water bag for about $10 (seriously) using a walmart 5L dry bag, some 1/4" drinking line hose and a fitting from Menards. I made it with the mini, but would like to make the switch to a squeeze to speed things up a bit. I've used it in some pretty sandy rivers. Scoop it full, hang it, let it settle, then let it start flowing and walk away. It'll filter the whole 5L in 10-15 minutes (never timed the whole bag, but only a couple minutes for 1L), but I back flush after each use.

I have a buddy that uses the cnoc bags and a squeeze, his takes more effort, but works faster. Around camp my setup works well, hang it and get to camp chores or cooking. Filtering on the go the cnocs and squeeze work better.

I found that the filter that comes with the Sawyer Gravity kit is unique to that kit.
It seemed to flow a bit better and was smaller than the mini.
I dropped mine in a raging creek and tried to buy another through Sawyer. They said no-go, gotta buy a whole new kit.