Sawyer Squeeze Filter

Eagle

WKR
Isn't the inline filter at risk of freezing as it is set up in Luke's pic if temperatures drop below freezing? Has anyone come up with a solution to prevent this?

Can't see the pics at work so dont know how it's set up. Mine has a quick disconnect so if I think it's going to freeze overnight, I'll just put it in my sleeping bag with me.

Rizzy

WKR
I was thinking to just put the inline inside the pack closer to the bladder. Maybe next year they will come out with an inline that screws directly onto the bladder and you attach your hose to it. Maybe it already works that way or is available?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The reason for the filter being so far away from the bladder is by design. I cut my tube far enough away from the bladder to get decent head pressure to maintain a faster flow rate through the filter. If you had it right next to the bladder the flow rate would fall off quite a bit. Yep my Sawyer filter is on a Quick connects and gets taken off when it gets cold out. For May/June-Early September this isn't an issue. Beyond that its either melting snow or hiker pro season.

I did the inline filter inside the pack and it was a huge failure! It would repeatedly kink the tube and restrict flow or block it altogether. I will be replacing the water line on my MSR bladder to move the filter to the same location that Luke has his.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
I regret putting mine inside the pack. It steals precious space from a 900 CI pack and I'm always worried something in the pack is going to jar it from the hose.

dotman

WKR
Just a quick FYI, Sawyer sells an inline adapter for the squeeze filter (no need to buy an inline specific filter). This means you can add the squeeze filter to the hydration line of your current bladder. But you can quickly remove it and use it to filter water out of the bags.

This year I'm going to run the Sawyer Squeeze only, I ordered up the inline adapter kit ($5.99) and 3 extra 2L bags ($10.99). I haven't received the extra bags but I do not see this entire system weighing much but with the included bags that came with the filter and the extra bags that will give me 9.5L of water storage in the Sawyer bags plus my 2L source water bladder on top of it all.

Now this may seem like overkill but when I'm up at the treeline and there is no water I can make one trip down for water or on the trip up if I want to carry the extra weight and not have to go back for extra water for 3 days because I have the ability to carry 11.5L of water now. I'm going to guess that the bags weigh what 1-2oz (be great if someone had a scale and could weight each bag). If one bag fails no big deal because I still have plenty.

I also like the abilty to filter water into my source or not but yet still have the ability to add the Squeeze filter onto it. Hopefully this will help some save some cash and not have to buy two seperate filters. Once I receive the adapter kit for the filter I'll post up some pics.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried the squeeze filter with inline adapter? Would if work like a gravity filter too?

I just got that set-up but haven't tried it yet. I have two 3L bladders, and will likely buy a second in-line adapter for the "clean" bladder so I can connect it directly to the squeeze.

cmeier117

WKR
I was considering getting Platypus's 4L gravity filter set-up minus the filter, it just has to bladder's and a hose and doing what you are saying. Keep me posted how it works and maybe post a pic of what it looks like.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I was considering getting Platypus's 4L gravity filter set-up minus the filter, it just has to bladder's and a hose and doing what you are saying. Keep me posted how it works and maybe post a pic of what it looks like.

I have the platypus and squeeze w/ inline kit. I haven't had it long, but I have tested it, and It works just as you think it would. Pretty slick.

I also have the 3 in 1 and it works the same way.

cmeier117

WKR
I have the platypus and squeeze w/ inline kit. I haven't had it long, but I have tested it, and It works just as you think it would. Pretty slick.

I also have the 3 in 1 and it works the same way.

I will probably go with the 3 in 1 after looking closer at it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've used the 3 in 1 and the black one that comes with the squeeze bottle for inline on my water bladder using the provided quick connects that came with my 3 in 1 to make it work for the black sawyer filter as well.