Sawyer Squeeze Filter

7mag.

WKR
Thanks for the video, Aron. I just got one and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Looks simple like I hoped.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on getting one for my wife to carry. Anyone manage to clog one yet and can you back flush easily?

Currently using a sawyer inline off a bladder and it seems to work good but will probably pack a 20 oz water bottle with the bottom cut off to prefilter.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on getting one for my wife to carry. Anyone manage to clog one yet and can you back flush easily?

Currently using a sawyer inline off a bladder and it seems to work good but will probably pack a 20 oz water bottle with the bottom cut off to prefilter.

Mine started to slow down last year. I didn't have the big syringe that they send to back flush them with me. I tipped it upside down and tapped it on a rock a few times and blew threw it backwards. I dislodged a little stick and the flow was back to normal. I got my first one off promotive cheap enough I plan on ordering another to keep in my day pack so I don't have to swap from one pack to another and it will come with 4 more bags.

Ozz08

WKR
I'm off work this week and already bored guess I'll have to go pick one of these up. Damn boredom costs me a lot of money!

Rizzy

WKR
Thats a neat product, looks like a good replacement for a pump filter.

How durable are those bags? Would you be able to use them in place of your bladder?

On that trip how much water did you go through in the 8 miles?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You could use the bags in place of a bladder and you could use your bladder in place of the bag....

The actual filtering portion fits onto a Platypus bladder and can be used the same way.

I went through a full 4 liters on the first day (cooking water and drinking) and that's about average for me on any backpacking/hunting trip.

cmeier117

WKR
If you used the bladder for the bag wouldn't it have dirty water in it? or is it not a big deal to do that?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you incorporate the inline from Sawyer and the squeeze, you will be able to use the same bladder/bladders for everything.

Most everyone takes two bladders (backup and standard), so you keep the standard bladder hooked up to the Sawyer inline and the squeeze hooked up to the backup. The backup could be the Sawyer squeeze bag or another bladder.

In my case, I have the Sawyer inline hooked to my MSR Dromlite and the Sawyer Squeeze hooked to the bag it comes with.

Rizzy

WKR
I see, its looking more appealing with the inline component. You would be able to fill your bladder and filter as needed. Really the inline is all you would need.

Gman

WKR
If you incorporate the inline from Sawyer and the squeeze, you will be able to use the same bladder/bladders for everything.

Most everyone takes two bladders (backup and standard), so you keep the standard bladder hooked up to the Sawyer inline and the squeeze hooked up to the backup. The backup could be the Sawyer squeeze bag or another bladder.

In my case, I have the Sawyer inline hooked to my MSR Dromlite and the Sawyer Squeeze hooked to the bag it comes with.

How are you liking the inline/MSR setup?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep thats all I have used all last season. You really want a big zip platypus bladder if you plan on filling out of a stream. Camelbacks, and even the fill bags like Aron mentioned in the video are harder to fill out of a little stream vs. the big zip bladders that you can open up wide and vents the air out as the bag fills.

Here is Becca at it working hard pumping the water to fill her camelback, its a direct quick connect so no leaks one you take off the mouth piece on her camelback from my platypus:
IMGP0537-1.jpg

This was me hard at it filling a 6L MSR Dromlite:
IMGP0445.jpg

A couple pics of the filter inline so it just filters the dirty water as I drink it:
IMGP0407-C.jpg

IMGP0665.jpg

Overall I much prefer the inline setup with a big zip platypus for quick fill and easy of use as a gravity filter or a inline filter with just a second to connect/disconect depending on how you are using the filter.

I am going to give the big zip a try this year with the sawyer filter. Honestly though I like my nalgene bottle for much of my hiking when water is near by and the MSR hyperflow fills it super fast.

Eagle

WKR
I've been using a sawyer inline filter for 4 years now with my bladder. The bladder takes dirty water, but as long as I've got the filter on the hose, it doesn't make any difference. Can't say enough good things about it, beats the heck out of pumping my katadyn hiker pro any day.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't the inline filter at risk of freezing as it is set up in Luke's pic if temperatures drop below freezing? Has anyone come up with a solution to prevent this?