Sawyer Squeeze filter

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That fast fill looks neat. I bet it is still faster to just put the filter inline on the hose, and dunk a big zip platy though. I really found that convenient last season.

That fast fill looks neat. I bet it is still faster to just put the filter inline on the hose, and dunk a big zip platy though. I really found that convenient last season.

My only reservation with this filter is there is always at least one time a trip when I am filtering out of a spring that's maybe 1/2" of water. Did you ever have any problems with that? I guess you can always dig a little hole for water to fill up in.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My only reservation with this filter is there is always at least one time a trip when I am filtering out of a spring that's maybe 1/2" of water. Did you ever have any problems with that? I guess you can always dig a little hole for water to fill up in.

Yeah,

That is a bugger no matter what method you use. I always dig a hole or form a little waterfall. It sure is nice when you have enough water to submerge though!

I know I have mentioned it before, but I lost my inline last year by freezing, so just be aware if the temps go down.

trk3263

WKR
Yea we end up digging a hole or making a small water chute from bark if we are going to reuse the water hole a bunch.

I think I will be checking the fast fill out too. For the $6 it is at least worth trying.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I use an old platypus that I cut in half to fill the sawyer bladder in skinny water situations. The top half of a platy is a lightweight, pliable scoop that's easy to pour.

I use an old platypus that I cut in half to fill the sawyer bladder in skinny water situations. The top half of a platy is a lightweight, pliable scoop that's easy to pour.

That's the perfect idea... this year I'm just running a 6L dromlite bag with Sawyer inline and was worried about filling the dromlite.

Mike

Yeah definitely a good idea as well. Just trying to keep things as lightweight as possible though. I've been using the MSR Hyperflow for 4 years now and its a pain in the ass on maintenance but at only 7oz and connects right up to my camelback tube its pretty hard to beat.

Randle

WKR
I cut an MRE bag in half to scoop water when needed, It works well cause it lays flat in the puddle, similar to Trout Bum

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been tempted to check this out. The fast fill option looks sweet!

Just got my fast fill option the other day. Literally took me 2 minutes to install. This is going to be sweet. No more loosening my load to pull my camelbak out then trying to stuff it back in.

Last edited:

trk3263

WKR
I ended up buying just the inline adapter. With this I can turn my Dromlite into a drip filter with half the adapter and with the other half I can add a small tube and a male quick-link to make the fast fill. No need to buy both the adapter and the fast fill like I originally thought.

AndyB

WKR
Used the sawyer point one for a month in South America earlier this year and must say its a great piece of kit, from filtering from taps to puddles out in the sticks. Bags were a little fiddly and not sure how long they will stand up so did some searching on the net and came up with the 1 ltr 'Source Liquitainer' ,looks just as light as supplied bags with a cranked neck and flat bottom for standing up when full. Let you know how it performs when I get it.

trk3263

WKR
Welcome Andy!

I just bought a Platypus bag to use this year rather than the stock sawyer bags. I have heard they are now making a beefier bag but not gonna risk it the weight different is too small and I know the Platypus will hold up.

aron

WKR
I just purchased one of these to give it a try this year amd will replace the sawyer bags with a platypus as well. Only thing I've heard is the platypus threads don't quite match the filter.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
it depends on the platypus. some do some dont. Buy some garden hose washers from any hardware store and these will resolve any leaks on either side of the unit

Stid2677

WKR
Thought I would share a few tips for using the Sawer Water Filter System. First off the only draw back I have found is the bags that come with it can bust at the seems. Sawer has finally corrected this with the 2013 version, so make sure you get the 2013 version with the new improved squeeze bag. Make sure to roll the bag from the bottom like a tube of tooth paste and not squeeze it to death with both hands.

Mountain Laurel Designs is selling the new version. They also sell the inline kit.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=195

Incredible setup when combined with just a few extras.

First I cut a piece of screen out of a permanent coffee filter and placed that under the washer to act as a prefilter to keep debris out of the main filter element.

P3260745_zpsa3e7bfa4.jpg

In this photo you can see the Tornado Tube (clear piece) and the inline adapter kit. The Tornado tube is needed to attach it to a bag or bottle on the clean water side.

P3260748_zpse0a7a425.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/American-Scie...8&qid=1364318749&sr=8-1&keywords=tornado+tube

You can attach and use plastic water bottles, I like the larger size but only had these to use for the photos.

P3260749_zps6c5a7a2f.jpg

Here you can see it setup as a gravity filter, just make sure to mark your dirty bag and your clean bags to avoid contamination.

P3260754_zps94dddceb.jpg

Here you can see it in the inline setup with the inline adapter kit, it can be used this way to drink straight from your camel back or other hydration setup.

P3260755_zps50e74e4d.jpg

The clean side has a nipple that you can attach a hose to, so you really don't need the clean side part of the inline kit.

Like this you can drink through it like a straw using a hose attached to drop down into a water source.

P3260756_zps45d5d365.jpg

In this photo you can see that I used a coke bottle lid to seal the top and I used a hose plug to seal the bottom to keep it from leaking after use.

P3260757_zpsbc07c237.jpg

This photo is of the new bag on the right and the old bag on the left. The new bags are blue and the old style black.

P3260758_zpsa2eece61.jpg

As mentioned, blow the water put after use and keep it in your pocket of sleeping bag during freezing weather. Great piece of light weight kit for water filtering.

Steve

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent post Steve, thanks for sharing those pics. I really like that prefilter screen idea, i will definitely be using that idea.

aron

WKR
The prefilter idea is great. Thanks for all the pictures and info. I should be getting mine tomorrow so hopefully it has the new bags.

trk3263

WKR
So my platypus bag wouldn't work without leaking. I tried different washers and all but no luck so I just ordered the new 2013 bags.

S&S if you still need a scoop for water from puddles just use the small bag that came with the original squeeze kit and cut the end off. This is probably one of the latest options and I figured I never use the little bag anyway.

I also got my inline adapter all setup and can now use my filter with my Dromlite as a drip filter or as a fast fill into my camelbak. The nice thing is I really don't even have to squeeze it to get it to flow into my bladder bag.

u5y4e3ej.jpg

lintond

WKR
Great thread on the Sawyer Squeeze! So are most of you using it as a direct inline filter with you bladder as a dirty bag, or are you squeezing/gravity filtering into your bladder out of the squeeze bag or other bladder??

I was planning to use the inline setup with the platy 3L zip, but could see the advantage of not having to dig out your bladder to fill it with the other method. :confused:

~David