Sawyer Squeeze filter

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great thread on the Sawyer Squeeze! So are most of you using it as a direct inline filter with you bladder as a dirty bag, or are you squeezing/gravity filtering into your bladder out of the squeeze bag or other bladder??

I was planning to use the inline setup with the platy 3L zip, but could see the advantage of not having to dig out your bladder to fill it with the other method. :confused:

~David

Luke and I use ours inline with the 3L big zips. Disadvantage is that your water bladder is now "dirty" and has to be used with the filter, but this isn't really a big deal. I keep mine in the hydration sleeve in my KU pack, and Luke either throws his into a side sleeve or top pocket,or sometimes just loose into the top part of his loaded pack (depending on the situation). We always take our packs off, and usually have a quick snack break when we fill up the bladders, so digging them out has not been a big deal at all.

Occasionally when we anticipate needing a larger volume of water (camping in the same spot for several days without a good source nearby), or if we know water will be scarce where we are going (think sheep hunting) then we will use one or both of our big zips and filters to filter water via gravity into a dromlite...
I have never seen the advantage of hauling the squeeze bags along, it's just something extra to bring or have break. Using the filter inline has worked great for us in the last two years...

I made the mistake of trying to put the filter inline closer to the bladder so it would be in the pack. It ended up kinking and being hard to drink through at best an usually impossible. I need to replace the hose and move the filter to an external location on my shoulder. I have to admit that I tend to use a hyper flow and Nalgene bottle about 90% of the time. I sure like just drinking from a bottle vs sucking through a tube.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Sawyer stuff really intrigues me. I want to try it, just have to hunt in places where the water is deep enough to fill up the bags.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sawyer stuff really intrigues me. I want to try it, just have to hunt in places where the water is deep enough to fill up the bags.

You can dip water from more places than you think if you are patient and creative.

Check out 5:04 of this video, it took some work but we managed to pull close to 5L out of that little trickle on top of the mountain.

[video=youtube;Ad0iTnV8qcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad0iTnV8qcA&feature=plcp[/video]

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Even this? Yes, it was gross, and it involved pulling ice off to find one inch pools. Its probably worth buying for some of my pack trips that aren't in the waterless areas.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369516080639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369516080639.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 130

lintond

WKR
Thanks for the videos and help. I'm going to go with the inline method until I find a reason to switch it up.

trk3263

WKR
Bringing this back alive again.

Luke and Becca or anyone else using the inline can you post a pic of where you have your inline and how you are securing it to the end of your bladder tube?

Also the smallest bag that comes with the Squeeze works great as a scoop. Just cut off one of the ends and throw it in your bag. You will never know its there because it is so light but you will have it when needed as a scoop.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bringing this back alive again.

Luke and Becca or anyone else using the inline can you post a pic of where you have your inline and how you are securing it to the end of your bladder tube?

We use the sawyer quick connect kit to put the filter in-line https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/product_info.php?products_id=55, pretty sure it's similar to the platypus one CMeier posted above. We have had the best success putting the filter as close to the bite valve as you can stand, usually about 6" up so you can still thread the remaining tube and valve into your shoulder straps.

Here are some photos:
42FEE913-C68B-43F6-8D7E-33298EE3A96B-146-00000003BB6F74D6_zps4fd2d585.jpg

IMGP1308.jpg

P8090031.jpg

IMGP0407-C.jpg

P6110135-c_zps47af29b7.jpg

trk3263

WKR
Thanks Becca that's what I was looking for. I am thinking maybe something like a Velcro piece or elastic to kind of hold it tight against the pack strap since it is a pretty important piece of equipment. Or is that just the GIF talking in my ear?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Becca that's what I was looking for. I am thinking maybe something like a Velcro piece or elastic to kind of hold it tight against the pack strap since it is a pretty important piece of equipment. Or is that just the GIF talking in my ear?

For my uses I would say its the GIF, but if it makes you happy it would be a pretty lightweight mod. We have out those Sawyer filters through some pretty serious abuse and not had any trouble. Main thing is to make sure you blow the water out of them if there is any chance they might freeze, as freezing can cause them to crack. If you blow the water out of them, know that you may have to suck pretty hard on the drink tube to get them primed again, but then they will work the same as before.

trk3263

WKR
Thanks for the good info and I figured it was the GIF. Once my new pack gets here I will have a better idea.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is mine this weekend rapid filling the Camelbak from the Big Zip. Works like a charm.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Took the Inline Filter Kit on our 5 day pack trip in Wyoming last week.

I copied Luke and Becca's setup to a T including the Platypus bag as a dirty water reservoir and an MSR dromedary as my clean water.

I filtered about 250oz at a time for most of a day's water use in camp on a layover day. That water served as drinking water and for rehydrating Freeze dried meals for 5 people. I also brought 100 oz back to camp in the dirty bag to filter when another container was available.

I had the impression that the flow rate decreased a little over the trip. Any ideas for back flushing the unit?

sk1

WKR
what's the reason for having the filter so close to the bite valve---is it not effective if you put it like 18 inches back from the valve so you can have it in your pack?

cmeier117

WKR
what's the reason for having the filter so close to the bite valve---is it not effective if you put it like 18 inches back from the valve so you can have it in your pack?

It doesn't work as well. Luke has used it at different distances and said that is what he found, so I trusted him.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had the impression that the flow rate decreased a little over the trip. Any ideas for back flushing the unit?

Our inline filter kit came with a rubber gasket and quick connects for back flushing using your kitchen sink. I usually only flush ours at the end of the season before I store them, or if it seems like the flow rate is slowing down (which has been fairly infrequent). Warm water seems to work the best when back flushing, and be sure to wrap a dish towel around the faucet head with gasket attached before you turn it on....otherwise you will give yourself and your kitchen a nice shower when you disconnect.

Having the filter as close to the bite valve as you can tolerate allows you to use gravity and head pressure to your advantage and will give you better flow rates. If you put the filter up closer to the water bladder it will still filter as you drink, but you are going to turn your lips inside out trying to make enough suction to get the water out...

I sucks close to the bag. You can take my word of it or try it yourself but as Becca says it will turn your lips inside out trying to suck through it

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Our inline filter kit came with a rubber gasket and quick connects for back flushing using your kitchen sink. I usually only flush ours at the end of the season before I store them, or if it seems like the flow rate is slowing down (which has been fairly infrequent). Warm water seems to work the best when back flushing, and be sure to wrap a dish towel around the faucet head with gasket attached before you turn it on....otherwise you will give yourself and your kitchen a nice shower when you disconnect.

Thank you Becca. I will do that. I think I got some moss in the filter that settled out in the bag. any suggestion for volume of water to backflush?