Sawyer Squeeze filter

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Becca. I will do that. I think I got some moss in the filter that settled out in the bag. any suggestion for volume of water to backflush?

I can usually tell when it's been adequately flushed as the flush water runs clear and at a higher flow rate. The first water through the back flush is usually dirty looking, but it gets clearer as you go and starts to flow more easily. I actually find it really satisfying to see all the crud I filtered out go running down the sink :)

A word of caution, I have occasionally experienced what I think is an airlock in the filter after back flushing. I would back flush and then reassemble the filter inline and I could suck the water through, but it wouldn't drain to gravity. If this happens, i have fixed it by holding the filter horizontally and then sucking water through to re-prime it with water and get all the air out. On the one occasion where that didn't do the trick, I disassembled the inline set up and let the filter dry on the a dish towel over night and that seemed to solve the problem.

KMD

Banned
I pulled my Source 3L bladder out and snapped a pic of how I'm using my Sawyer Squeeze inline with it
57152D19-EC20-4A00-89E8-4FCFBE59BFB5-4414-000003F359905C37_zpsd185a045.jpg

For filling, I can dip & squeeze with a Sawyer baggy. Or use the Sawyer screw-in feed tube attachment (shown left) to gravity feed from a designated 'dirty' bladder. I'm still up in the air as to which Platy bag to use for a dirty bag, and what size, but the tube will splice right into that gray adaptor...

The green attachment below the filter is a Source UTA (Universal Tube Adaptor) The UTA is designed of flexible rubber for connecting to a hose, faucet, water bottle, etc... and mates perfectly to the threaded outlet of the Sawyer Squeeze filter.

The UTA has a male QD connect at the bottom for clipping straight into the female end of the Source bladder's female drink tube connection. So, I can unsnap the mouthpiece and re-fill quickly without taking my bladder out of the pack, as shown in the pic above. I will keep a Sawyer Squeeze bag in my pack at all times. So just hafta remove the pack at a stream or seep, dip the bag to fill, and squeeze the bag at chest height til the bladder is full. Done!

I also purchased a few extra Source QD connects and have one female QD connector spliced into a MSR drink tube for gravity filling a 6L Drom bladder to keep clean water @ spike camp...

Just thought I'd share another option for using the Sawyer Squeeze. Everyone else's input has been very helpful!

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
bringing this back up over a year later. With what is on the market now, what would be your choice at this point? I need to put together a lightweight filter system, and also need a hydration bladder set up, so figured Id start researching the best lightweight method (and convenient) way to get/store/hold water for backcountry trips. I looked at the Platy 2 liter gravity kit...which seemed pretty nice, but wasn't as light I don't think.

Daniel_M

WKR
My "go-to" garb is still the Platypus 3L Bigzip and Sawyer inline filter. Can't beat the fill and go approach. For base ops, the Katadyn BC 10L is outstanding. We filtered several gallons a day of river water consisting of tannins and heavy debri once flooding set in.

weaver

WKR
I also use a sawyer inline hooked to a platy big zip. I run a 4L dromlite as my primary bladder. Fill it at the water source using the platy as a squeeze bag.
I like this approach better than running the filter in my drink tube. Easier to keep the filter from freezing and also easier to fill a bottle on the go for making mixed drinks.

PA 5-0

WKR
I luv my sawyer. I've never had to actually squeeze it as it gravity feeds nicely. I bought the kit for like $50 that comes with 3 bags: lg, med, sm. Lightweight kit.

I have used both pumps and sawyer. For me the sawyer squeeze is the way to go. Yes I have it set up with the quick attach so no pulling my water bladder out of my bag.