Sawyer Squeeze filter

2rocky

WKR
So I had the chance to fondle a sawyer squeeze filter my buddy bought.

Have any of you customized a SSF for rapid Camelbak filling via the drink tube?

Any thoughts on the "dirty water bag" ? Is there a tougher/lighter option than the Stock model?

dotman

WKR
Luke Moffat has done something, he has the most time with it that I know of. They sell an inline adapter kit for $5 so you can add the squeeze to you hydration line.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey John there was an earlier thread regarding the SSF. Lots of info there. I am running one this year in the back country.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep, been using mine about a year now!!! LOVE IT. Take a standard 3 way filter (I like the 3-way version cause of the quick connects, and put it inline on a 3 Liter Platypus big zip. Just dip it in the creek and go. It'll filter as you drink or use it as a gravity filter.

Directly filtering to a camelback:
IMGP0537-1.jpg

Using as a gravity filter to fill a MSR Dromlite 6L:
IMGP0445.jpg

You can see me dunking the setup in the creek after I get done filling a camelback for 3 liters of water myself at the 10:45 ish minute mark on this video I made here of a trip I did last week:
[video=vimeo;45224015]http://vimeo.com/45224015[/video]

Last edited:
OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Luke thanks for the visual. Do you use the Quick link kit?

I found the thread you mentioned Rosin.

Looks like it would be well suited to my elk hunting country where open water is plentiful. I might have to get creative on some of the mountainside seeps I can just pump out of hunting Blacktails though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Rocky,

Yeah the 3-way Sawyer comes with all the Quick links you need to put it inline on your bladder. Quick and easy to install.

cmeier117

WKR
I am running the 3 way this year. I am using a 4L platypus gravity filter dirty bag instead of using it inline. I may change but the 4L bag weighs nothing and I have quick disconnects on big zip and 10L dromedary bag.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am running the 3 way this year. I am using a 4L platypus gravity filter dirty bag instead of using it inline. I may change but the 4L bag weighs nothing and I have quick disconnects on big zip and 10L dromedary bag.

What quick connect setup are you running off of your Dromedary?

cmeier117

WKR
What quick connect setup are you running off of your Dromedary?

Just the quick disconnect from platypus. I should have the sawyer filter tomorrow. So I have had to test it yet. My dad and I are splitting this whole setup and using aquamira as our backup. Do you think that will work?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just the quick disconnect from platypus. I should have the sawyer filter tomorrow. So I have had to test it yet. My dad and I are splitting this whole setup and using aquamira as our backup. Do you think that will work?

Yep, should work fine. Just found the quick connects I needed to connect from the filer to the dromedary to fill from the Platypus to the dromedary directly so no spillage will occur and don't have to watch or hold the dromedary as it fill from the platypus through the filter to it. Shoudl work like a champ :D

DWarcher

WKR
Luke thanks for the visual. Do you use the Quick link kit?

I might have to get creative on some of the mountainside seeps I can just pump out of hunting Blacktails though.

That was my main concern as well although I think filling the dirty bag by dipping with my cup should do the trick. Anyone else have experience running this filter at a small seep with lots of debris?

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
After reading the reviews of the Sawyer bags not holding up I am considering a Dromedary as my dirty water reservoir from a durability stand point. the quick link kits appear to be the same design as the ones on my Camelbak Antidote. Looks like I'l have to Assemble the peice parts at my local REI to soothe my visual mind.

We had a base Camp Katadyn (gravity) last year in Elk camp and the flow rate was pretty slow.

sk1

WKR
Luke, how are you directly connecting the platypus to your camelbak? or did you just slide it into the mouth piece?

also i see you put the filter away from your platypus, is it not a good idea to have it inside your pack with it?

thanks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
SK1,

By not removing the quick connects, but rather simply pulling the hose off the quick connect downstream of the filter and pulling the bite valve off of the camelback. Then you plus the backside of the quick connect that is made for going into a hose in the where the mouth piece used to go on the camelback you just removed. Sounds difficult, simply cause I suck as describing it.

I try to have the filter as far from the bladder as possible as when you are using it as a gravity filter the more head pressure you have the faster it will filter. If its right next to the bladder you are giving up 2-3' of head pressure which really effects filtering rates.

trk3263

WKR
Yep, should work fine. Just found the quick connects I needed to connect from the filer to the dromedary to fill from the Platypus to the dromedary directly so no spillage will occur and don't have to watch or hold the dromedary as it fill from the platypus through the filter to it. Shoudl work like a champ :D

Where did you find the quick connects to go to the Dromedary (Dromlite) directly?
I currently run a standard squeeze but looking to change things around a little. Also getting rid of the stock sawyer bags and going to use the platypus bags instead.

Sorry about bringing this thread back alive.

Manosteel

WKR
Great video, thanks for sharing. I am running the swayer 3-way inline with a dromlite and platypus bag this year. Tested it out today after the post man dropped off some new goodies today, worked great. Trk3263 - the quick connects come with the 3-way inline filter kit, I am sure you can buy the quick connects at most camping/hiking stores.

trk3263

WKR
If you look at the Sawyer website they now have a "Fast fill" setup that allows you to fill your camelbak directly through the drinking tube. They are not in retail stores yet but will be soon according to Sawyer when I contacted by email.

If you look at the Sawyer website they now have a "Fast fill" setup that allows you to fill your camelbak directly through the drinking tube. They are not in retail stores yet but will be soon according to Sawyer when I contacted by email.

I've been tempted to check this out. The fast fill option looks sweet!