Sawyer Squeeze question

duckclay

FNG
Hi all. So I bought a few Sawyer Squeeze and Minis a few years back. I put one in a backpack i keep in my car. It's never been used before tonight but when I tried it a little bit ago it had zero flow. Is there a shelf life? Did the heat in my car (I'm in Florida) ruin it?
I backwash it and got a little bit through but still seemed light. Maybe I'm expecting too much but there was still nothing in a gravity setup.
Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I use the Sawyer Squeeze exclusively. It is a great and compact filter. However, I have had 3 quit flowing water. All have been used before though. I always start the hunting season with a new one now. Not sure what happens to them.

Voyageur

WKR
Here is what has worked for me:
Get the filter elements wet. Be patient when wetting the elements. It could take 15 minutes or more.
Then backwash it repeatedly with as much force as you can muster. Do this backwashing until you get a really good flow rate. The instructions I have from Sawyer say it is impossible to use too much force when backwashing with their syringe.
I also backwash in the field after every use of the filter.
I don't claim to be any expert, but this is what has worked for me. I was never really satisfied with my Sawyer Squeeze until I began consistently and forcefully backwashing it.
Hope this helps.

Edit:
I've used my filter for approximately 8-10 years now.

OP
D

duckclay

FNG
You guys are awesome. Thank you very much and I'll get to working on this tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Buy a Katadyn Befree..I used sawyer for a few years before I tried the Katadyn. I’ll never go back

Buy a Katadyn Befree..I used sawyer for a few years before I tried the Katadyn. I’ll never go back
The Katadyn does not look like I can use a quick connect to my hose. Don`t have to remove bladder from pack. Its way easier that way plus all my buddies are set up that way. Can use buddies filter if yours fails.

Gets you off the mountain to a backup filter in the truck.

The Katadyn does not look like I can use a quick connect to my hose. Don`t have to remove bladder from pack. Its way easier that way plus all my buddies are set up that way. Can use buddies filter if yours fails.

Gets you off the mountain to a backup filter in the truck.
The cap threads off. I have mine setup where I can fill my bladder while it’s still in my pack. I can send you links if you’re interested. Katadyn flows faster too

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what has worked for me:
Get the filter elements wet. Be patient when wetting the elements. It could take 15 minutes or more.
Then backwash it repeatedly with as much force as you can muster. Do this backwashing until you get a really good flow rate. The instructions I have from Sawyer say it is impossible to use too much force when backwashing with their syringe.
I also backwash in the field after every use of the filter.
I don't claim to be any expert, but this is what has worked for me. I was never really satisfied with my Sawyer Squeeze until I began consistently and forcefully backwashing it.
Hope this helps.

Edit:
I've used my filter for approximately 8-10 years now.

This ^^^. Same process that I go through. I bought two before I figured this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jotis

WKR
The cap threads off. I have mine setup where I can fill my bladder while it’s still in my pack. I can send you links if you’re interested. Katadyn flows faster too
I would be interested how you did this
Thanks