Say you find yourself in a SHTF situation like a riot

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and you must defend yourself and your family, personal property and/or business. You have an AR10...what kinda pack is ideal for carrying magazines? What other simple tactical gear would you want?

Last edited:

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd imagine once the shooting starts, a lot of the rioters would scatter and you'd find yourself with fewer threats.

Chest rig for me, but a lot of unknowns. If I'm sticking around, wouldn't need much. If bugging out, well that's a different story.

I don’t know if it’s ideal and I hope I never have to find out. I bring my battle vest with me everywhere I have lived for the last 8 years or so. It holds 270 rounds of 5.56 with AR500 front and back plates. It’s heavy as shit but It’s my security blanket. It’s my immediate insurance policy.

6D54804F-884D-41C0-B10A-0644611B31E6.jpeg

hodgeman

WKR
Sounds like a new zip code is in order. Defending yourself against multiple armed assailants in a spot the cops won't come to sounds like a recipe for a shortened life span.

I'd not want any quasi tactical gear. It makes you look like a target or an instigator depending on who's doing the looking. I'd want to look as innocuous as possible to rioters and the cops alike.

...and you must defend yourself and your family, personal property and/or business. You have an AR...what kinda pack is ideal for carrying magazines? What other simple tactical gear would you want?

there is a forum called light fighter. It is one of the best for tactical gear and it is mostly pros and ex-pros so very little mall ninja BS. There is a 12-page thread on patrol and assault packs.

As mentioned above, a chest rig, Tac vest or battle belt is going to be best for feeding an AR. Armor is not a bad idea if you are planning on an antisocial affair. A go bag pack with ammo Is a fine idea. There are two schools,of thought - tacticool and not. Tacticool offer more function. Not tacticool is easier to blend in if you have to look covert. Toting an AR is hard to conceal so covert might be out.

I am partial to an eagle patrol pack or a mystery ranch 3DAP in this role.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, there are plenty of packs and various types of chest rigs and vests that would be great to have with you. But you definitely don’t want to look like you came there for a fight.

Even in a larger riot type situation, if E&E is truly your goal, a pistol is probably ideal. Maybe have a rifle in the car.

You also mentioned defending a home or business. Yes an AR is probably ideal for that. A backpack is not ideal for mags. A plate carrier with 3-6 mags would be more than enough. I’d err towards 3 mags. Hard to imagine more than 90 rounds of 5.56 being fired off in legitimate self defense.

If a plate carrier (and plates of course) is outside your budget, a chest rig works really well. Tactical tailor makes one that is a good balance of price/quality. SOE Gear, Haley Strategic, HSGI, all make good ones too. A chest rig is also less bulky than a plate carrier and could also be stuffed into an innocent looking day pack when not in use.
If you have or obtain soft armor a chest rig can easily be thrown on top of that.

eamyrick

WKR
Bruce, what kind of situation are you trying to put yourself in here bud? Avoid that nonsense at all costs.

Spot on. I’ve been “working” this non-sense since it started. I have a plate carrier and 11.5 SBR behind my truck seat for work and would never consider taking either out during a riot. Much more useful is a concealed pistol, dirty button up shirt and hat. Exit the area is the answer. I’d rather start chanting with the crowd than pop out in full gear.

FLAK

WKR
I have a couple AR's but lately I've really embraced the shotgun.
In particular, a youth 20 ga. pump. Smaller, shorter, lighter than
a 12 and can carry more ammo. Easier in the truck too.

Oh, and yes might want to consider a move. We moved a few
years back from a highly populated area to a more rural setting.
I had a feeling this crap was coming.

I think the OP is considering in his question something more along the lines of an unavoidable spontaneous home invasion situation in the midst of wide spread rioting.

It would be pretty unreasonable to see a crowd of people turning over cars and burning things, go get your rounds and armor and start ww3 with them.

*zap*

WKR
Best way to carry mags in that situation is on a plate carrier that has level 4 armor in it. You can also fit quite a bit in a dump pouch and they are pretty handy in general. In a pack is not a good place for 'spare' firearm magazines unless you have a few that are somewhere else which is easily accessible.
If you feel that you may come across the situation where you might need to dump the carrier/plates because of the weight and need to move fast then run the carrier slick and get a tac vest which fits over the plate carrier so you can retain your gear if you dump the carrier.

Last edited:

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
This question is great for a situation that I speculate no one in the US has ever been confronted with. However, all the information is just as useful for someone wanting to do a mass shooting, which is not so uncommon. Do you worry as much about earthquakes, asteroids, or God forbid, pandemics?

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
This is an absurd thread.

Why do you say that?

"What's the best way to dry my clothes and warm up if I fall into a glacial stream with my pack on?"

"What's the best rain jacket if it rains for 10 days straight?*

"How do I prepare to get struck by lightening in the back country?"

"How can I best prepare for it in case I get bit by a snake/stung by a bee/cut by a knife/break a leg/etc..."

Asking questions about unlikely scenarios that the OP hasn't yet and may never experience is a major part of what keeps forums alive and growing. Don't be rude just because your perspective is different than someone else.

To the OP, posts #6, #7, and #9 are ones I'd pay attention to, and as Desk Jockey pointed out, there's better places than here to ask this kind of question.

Here's my kit, carried in a big REI duffle, tossed in the trunk of my POV/back of a unit if not being worn.

Attachments

• KIMG0933~2.JPG
    KIMG0933~2.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 159

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you say that?

"What's the best way to dry my clothes and warm up if I fall into a glacial stream with my pack on?"

"What's the best rain jacket if it rains for 10 days straight?*

"How do I prepare to get struck by lightening in the back country?"

"How can I best prepare for it in case I get bit by a snake/stung by a bee/cut by a knife/break a leg/etc..."

Asking questions about unlikely scenarios that the OP hasn't yet and may never experience is a major part of what keeps forums alive and growing. Don't be rude just because your perspective is different than someone else.

To the OP, posts #6, #7, and #9 are ones I'd pay attention to, and as Desk Jockey pointed out, there's better places than here to ask this kind of question.

Here's my kit, carried in a big REI duffle, tossed in the trunk of my POV/back of a unit if not being worn.
Well for two reasons.
First this isn't a zombie apocalypse your not just going to be stacking the bodies of fellow Americans up so the notion that a backpack full of ammo is necessary is absurd.
Second i have been in a situation where i needed more ammo than i had on my person and no one there was concerned about how that ammo was transported to us. In fact it arrived in a cardboard carton and i found most were pretty good at transferring packages from storage to readily available very quickly.

I will agree it sure seems this thread is all about perspective.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don’t mind being called illogical for wanting to protect my family in the very unlikely event of total social breakdown. While this pandemic is not enough to cause that, it has shown the extreme fragility of modern society. Bitter clinger to the end! Apparently a virus with just a 5% death rate would wipe out all of this easy grocery store living we all have enjoyed our whole lives. I won’t judge if that’s what you want to out your faith in.

OP
Where's Bruce?
This is the type of circumstance I am preparing for. Not something you expect, unlikely to occur but no harm being prepared right?

I already have 3 dogs, motion sensor lights and alarms, very visible commercial surveillance cameras and signs in an effort to be a "bad target" but the mob mentality is different. These types burn cop cars. They light cops on fire. They burn businesses and residences down. Just wanna have a plan I hope to never need.

Last edited:

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t mind being called illogical for wanting to protect my family in the very unlikely event of total social breakdown. While this pandemic is not enough to cause that, it has shown the extreme fragility of modern society. Bitter clinger to the end! Apparently a virus with just a 5% death rate would wipe out all of this easy grocery store living we all have enjoyed our whole lives. I won’t judge if that’s what you want to out your faith in.

Somehow I knew you wouldn't be concerned about the pandemic "hoax," and yet you want to discuss how to carry multiple magazines in case of a riot. A face mask is more likely to save your life (or someone else's) than having those extra magazines, but of course you exercise your right not to wear one.

Status
Not open for further replies.