Scabbard Mounting ?

For the gang with horses: how do you mount your rifle scabbard to the saddle, which direction/side and what are the pros and cons. My new hunting buddy arrived 7 weeks ago and we're headed out this week for a couple quick hunts. Any pics would help.

Cody, 9yo QH
file_zpsa11539a6.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful horse.

I always put my scabbard butt-forward on the off side, so I can more easily adjust the cinch.

I use a full-coverage nylon scabbard.

There is something that is just right about hunting on horseback.

OP
Arrowslinger
Thanks Matt! I use a LH bolt so i might need to hang the scabbard scope down to keep the bolt handed from jabbing his ribs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Lefty bolt would be scope-up on the off (right) side.

I use a Trailmax Guardian scabbard, and it has a padded support in the back that would keep the bolt from poking him anyway.

OP
Arrowslinger
Thanks Matt. Was thinking butt rearward. Gonna give that a go and see how it rides. Will post up some pics on our adventure.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
I have used it on the right side with the butt high up front and the barrel pointing down and slightly back that way you don't have the pressure of your leg on the scope or anything.

similar scabbard as 2rocky but the strap by the bolt goes around the swells by saddle horn and barrel strap goes through cinch d ring if that makes sense. sorry no pics

JNDEER

WKR
Rifle???

I figured you would be going India style with that beast! Looks good, hope your able to put something down.

This is how I've done it...but I was just listening to the guy that owns the horse...it seemed to work great!

RobbyDenning09005-1.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting that pic Trevor! Now everyone is going to tease me about my 1968 Miley Horse trailer.

I would not put the gun butt backward. Too many guys get back to the truck and the gun is gone- pulled out on the brush.

I suggest butt forward, scope up, on horses right side.

Four reasons:
1) Don't let a gun ride scope down. Gun is a 7 pound anvil resting on your optic as Mr Wiggles jars it with every step.

2) If you're a lefty, while mounted, you can reach across the horse's neck, grab the pistol grip portion of the stock, squeeze your right leg against the scabbard, and pull the rifle out as you step off the horse, prefferably to his right. It's quick and you'll get a shot off while your buddy runs around the back of his horse to pull his gun out. Also, he can go catch the horses after they run off because your busy gutting your buck.

3) The bolt will face away from the horse.

4) You're a lefty, so the scabbard won't be in the way of the cinch. I'm a righty, so mine is, but I just fight it for the reasons posted above.

OP
Arrowslinger
Got home early last night, saddled Cody up and made the rough (down hill on pavement) half mile walk to the trail head from the barn. I ended up mounting it butt back, which seems to ride great, though i was a little worried about the gun getting dumped out the back. Here's how it rode:

file_zpsf9931969.jpg

Will try butt forward next time and see how it rides. Of course we didn't see squat out hunting, but saw 4 bucks in the neighborhood to and from the trail head.