WTS * SCAM ALERT * -> Liberty9

Maverick1

WKR
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First things first: this user has been banned. Thank you to @robby denning for taking quick action. Liberty9 is no longer a member at Rokslide.

A little more information for those interested....to see how the scammers are operating....

I started a thread on Wednesday looking for some binoculars, using a "WTB" thread.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/swarovski-slc-842-binoculars.243812/
(I'm still looking for a pair....if you happen to have any Swaro's laying around "collecting dust"....hit me up....)

Yesterday, I got the following PM message from "Liberty9":
"Hello buddy, I have a SLC 8x42 binoculars laying around collecting dust, Text me here is best 408 214 9128 , I get lot of spam calls and leave phone in the truck but check text . Thanks"

So, on Saturday, I sent him a text, asking for some more information and pictures of the binoculars.

He texted me back the following message:
Scammer.jpg

He then texted me a couple of pictures, but something didn't quite seem right.....

I looked him up and found he joined Rokslide only a few weeks ago and he had a handful of posts. All were of the "welcome" variety for other new members, and he hadn't posted anything anywhere else. Hmmmm.....

I looked at his text again.....and the words and pictures very familiar.....
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/swarovski-slc-8x42.213823/
(The pictures were exactly the same.)

I contacted Robby and Ryan. Robby released him from his membership at the Rokslide club. Thanks, Robby.

A quick google search on that phone number showed a similar pattern:
https://www.fnforum.net/threads/sca...millerjames-on-the-forum.228916/#post-1554165
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/greeny311-scammer.7101998/#post-9883857
(Seems like he's lonely. Maybe someone could sign his phone number up for some mail? Perhaps he'd like to know more about each of the candidates in an upcoming election? I'm sure someone in the Rokslide community would have knowledge of such things....)

So, even though "Liberty9" is no longer with us, I thought I would pass along my experience as sort of a 'watch out' for others here on the forum so we all can avoid getting ripped off or taken advantage of. (There were a number of red flags in this situation, which are somewhat obvious, but I'm not going to highlight them because I don't want the scammers to become any better at what they do - or how they do it. I'd prefer it if they kept failing, for all of our sake's.....)

I'm sure "Liberty9" is a fine, upstanding individual, but I just didn't quite feel like things were going to work out for this transaction.

Stay safe, everyone!

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thankyou for taking the time to reach out with very good information and try to help an unknown individual that may fall victim to a scam

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Getting comparable to my lost relative from Europe who has 5 million to transfer to my bank account...

Thanks for sharing!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Good catch. I feel bad for people that fall victim to this stuff.

On the bright side, I apparently have a rich uncle, who turns out to be a Saudi prince! I am actually waiting for a bunch of money to get transferred to my bank. All I had to do was send a couple hundred bucks for paperwork.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

glassman

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was also posted on the Birdforum classifieds forum. The flag for me (dries1 on bird forum) is the $1,000 SLC 8X42, even from 2013, still worth at least $1,300.00. They always try to lure one in with a lower than normal price. If it is too good to be true it likely isn't.

Andy W.

rdfish1

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This exact same scumbag using the same liberty9 name tried to get me on another forum. He did a pretty good job but fortunately, I’m pretty skeptical to start with so we didn’t get too far before I flushed him out.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If the seller refuses to talk on the phone and will only use one of those disposable text-only numbers for communicating, I'm automatically out. It's been a scammer in every single instance that I've encountered. Anything saying that the get a lot spam calls and don't carry their phones is a dead giveaway.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If the seller refuses to talk on the phone and will only use one of those disposable text-only numbers for communicating, I'm automatically out. It's been a scammer in every single instance that I've encountered. Anything saying that the get a lot spam calls and don't carry their phones is a dead giveaway.
What if your like me and can’t really talk on the phone due to my night shift work schedule?

68Plexi

WKR
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The buy, sell, trade community here is amazing. Let's do everything we can to keep it that way. Thanks for bringing the scammers to everyone's attention. Probably won't stop them from trying, but if one person is saved from being scammed it's worth it.

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The buy, sell, trade community here is amazing. Let's do everything we can to keep it that way. Thanks for bringing the scammers to everyone's attention. Probably won't stop them from trying, but if one person is saved from being scammed it's worth it.
True

BBob

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
"Hello dear" are you kidding me? :ROFLMAO:

On another forum two scammers reached out to me via PM to see if I wanted to sell an optic (I never indicated I wanted to sell I just posted I owned it). In the mess it looks like I was somehow banned along with them. All I did (within the PM's) was in the end tell them no I didn't want any part of it. Still waiting to hear if they'll re-instate my account. So F the scammers :mad: